Reliable weights for Lightweights?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

colster

by colster

I am considering upgrading from my Bora Ultra 2's to Lightweight Meilensteins.
Browsing most retailer website sites show little weight difference (around 80 grams) between tubs and clinchers - some websites even publish the same weight specs for both, which clearly cannot be true. Looks like those sites are just lifting the copy straight from Lightweights own site.
Browsed the weight listings section here at ww and looks like they haven't been updated in a while.
Anyone got any reliable weights for the latest genration of Meilenstein tubs and clinchers?

Am riding tubs at present, but if the weight penalty really was very minimal might well consider clinchers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

amb001

by amb001

Not sure if I'm allowed to post links to retailer sites but I have seen on one site a photo of tubular on scales at 1133.9g and clincher at 1218.4g.

Both were the 16/20 spoke versions and clinchers were approx €600 more expensive than the tubular.

Hope this helps.

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

A friend of mine "Maverick1" has both.. or shall I say "all", suggests sticking to the standards...

Oddly enough, a ride review in a local Japanese publication put the Mavic CCU's above the Milsteins...

Food for Thought..
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

colster

by colster

When you say the japanese put the Mavic CCU's "above" the Meilensteins, do you mean for weight or for overall performance?

amb001

by amb001

I'd guess for performance as my CCU's are about 50g heavier than the lightweight tubular weight I mentioned earlier

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

colster wrote:When you say the japanese put the Mavic CCU's "above" the Meilensteins, do you mean for weight or for overall performance?

The CCU is a much nicer riding wheel.

For my money anyway.

Marin

by Marin

LW clinchers are 1218g? I always thought at their name, price and reputation they'd have to be around 1kg...

I just had a set of 25mmx23mm clinchers built by Farsports that weigh 1215g with heavier spokes NDS, and my 50x23mm "U-shape" FS clinchers are 1329g. Probably more aero at 10% of the price...

sungod

by sungod

including a coat of glue and the 10/11s spacer the lightweight gen 4 obermayers are 391/542g front/rear (16/20 spoked), which is within a few grams of lw's figures on the website (395/540), my older ones were also very close to the website figures, so i'd guess the other model weights on the lw site are just as close

if you are going for light, i'd stick with tubs, clincher rims are heavier and there's always the worry of what happens if they overheat and distort or the tyre comes away

i've not ridden the ccu, assume this is the 40mm, but with the slightly lower profile and (i'm guessing) better aero shape they will be much easier in crosswinds

btw if you are buying from uk, consider bike24.de or similar site, it can save quite a bit - i got mine from them, together with serviceup - excellent service and fast shipping from bike24 when buying, and recently from lw when they replaced the wheels after crash damage

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

My Lightweight 3C (Clincher) weight 1218 grams.

elfuinha

by elfuinha

I had Mavic CCU, before the Meilenstein that I've now, and I can say stiffness wise the is no difference between the two, mine LW are 20/20, braking is much better than the CCU I had, but mine CCU where pré 2014, so this could be different now. In crosswinds, not much diference.

Quality building and finish the lw, is by far superior.
Both are tubular. I don't see the point of Carbon Clinchers.
Regards

Harmitc

by Harmitc

My Obermayer's are a few grms lighter than published.

colster

by colster

Thanks guys that is good to know. Any thoughts about ride quality when compared against Campag Bora's?

sawyer

by sawyer

colster - I have a pair of A1 CCUs if you are interested

Not sure about LWs but vs Boras they are stiffer and more comfortable (all carbon construction makes for a surprisingly comfortable ride)
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

Sorry for the delayed reply... In putting the CCU's above the LW's, the article had based their evaluation purely on ridership btw four cyclists. While I also have owned both before, my LW are G3 Standards and the construction btw the new generation LW's are completely different.

In all honesty, many of those that I have talked to at bike shops have favored the older generation LW wheels over the newer ones. It is of their own personal choice and while remains questionable, you have to understand that when you start hearing this from multiple people, a trend starts to emerge.

I'm sure you can find some used wheels online... even try to email carbonsports to see if they have any stock on the older generation wheels?
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

NiFTY

by NiFTY

My lightweight meilenstein clinchers are 1202 grammes on my scales.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com