11-32 ultegra cassette on 2015 campagnolo groups

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bantamben

by Bantamben

I had the previous generation campy groups and they worked ok with 12-29 but not as good as they did with smaller range cassettes. I prefer campy as a group but am currently running sram force 22 with a 11-32 integration cassette and 50/34 2015 campy chorus crank. I was thinking switching the rest of my group to campy chorus 2015 but don't think I can give up the 11-32 for a 12-29 as I ride 8-14 percent grades pretty often and it comes in handy.

Has anyone tried the 2015 campy groups with a 11-32 rear cassette. How did it shift?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bantamben

by Bantamben

Looks like nobody's tried it. I might have to be the first guinee pig.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Interlock Racing Design say that a 32t will work with Campag 11 speed: http://store.interlocracing.com/11cael.html

Also note that Campag do an 11 speed triple group.

Ritterview

by Ritterview

On our tandem, with a 52-39-30 triple, we changed the freewheel to accept Shimano, and switched from Campy 12-29 to 11-32. This required the Athena triple RD. It shifts just as well as did the 12-29. Its nice having the extra gearing.

Sorry for posting pic of dirty cassette, it had been in action.

Bantamben

by Bantamben

Looks cool. I heard that an Athens triple would work. You've know confirmed it.

But I have the 2015 chorus crank and was wondering if the 2015 chorus rear der. Would work with the 11-32 before I order.

Ritterview

by Ritterview

Bantamben wrote: But I have the 2015 chorus crank and was wondering if the 2015 chorus rear der. Would work with the 11-32 before I order.

I had a 2010 SR RD, and it would barely work with the triple and 12-29. I think the most you can get out of the standard RD cage is at most 30t. That's just my impression, I don't know of anyone that's put it to the 32t test.

It'd be nice if there was a longer RD cage that could replace the standard cage. Campy had sold 10 spd RD cages of different lengths, but I've not seen any such in the 11-speed era. I'd inquired about harvesting the Athena cage and replacing the cage on my SR RD, but Campy replied they were not interchangeable.

You could use get an Athena triple RD to supplant your Chorus, although there is an aesthetic decrement. My SR right lever shifts the Athena RD just fine. I don't know if 2015 would be any different.

Image Image

c50jim

by c50jim

I have an 11-32 Ultegra cassette and am just waiting for my replacement Shimano freehub for my White Industries hub. I'm using 2014 Chorus but bought an Athena rear derailleur in case the Chorus doesn't work. My mechanic thinks I'll probably need the Athena, although he's going to see if he can swap out the cage if I need the length.

Things I've read suggest you'd have a problem. Supposedly, you can't even run the new 11-29 cassettes with pre-2015 derailleurs. 2015 is supposed to work with 11-29 but 11-32 is quite a jump from that. If you're not in a rush, I can report once the parts arrive for my conversion. However, the freehub was ordered December 19 and still hasn't arrived.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Things I've read suggest you'd have a problem. Supposedly, you can't even run the new 11-29 cassettes with pre-2015 derailleurs.

This is incorrect.

The older RD's will handle a 30T sprocket just fine. 32 as well probably. The issue is upper jockey clearance, is also impacted by the hanger length, which can vary within limits, by a few mm.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

elSid

by elSid

I use an ultegra 11-32 cassette on a Colnago with Campagnolo SR (pre 2015). Rear wheel is a powertap sl+ with 11speed freehub. Works great.

Bantamben

by Bantamben

So it shifts fine up to the 34/32 combination?
any problems with chain being too tight or loose at the extremes? big big small small
Im currently running force 22 11-32 with a 2015 chorus crank. I prefer full campy but went twith the sram because of the 11-32 compatibility as i ride alot of hills over 10 prcent grade and need the gears.

seanblurr

by seanblurr

I'm curious about this for a 1x set up on a cross bike that I have currently running 10spd Chorus. With a 40t sprocket up front, an 11-28 doesn't quite cut it for some of the steeper short hills, a 32 is a must. Unfortunately it being a 10spd rear derailleur I think I am out of luck as far as an 11-32 goes. They don't make a 10spd 11-32, do they? And even if they did, has anyone ever actually tried a mid 2000's 10spd Campy on a 32?
Instagram @seanblurr

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I have a 10-speed cross bike running mid-'00's Chorus and Centaur parts. About a year ago Campy introduced a 12-30 Cassette in Centaur, which works just fine. That's the biggest you can go in 10-speed.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

elSid

by elSid

My pre-2015** Campagnolo SR drivetrain (50/34) works well with the 11-32 ultegra cassette. For what it's worth, I'm pretty fussy about drivetrain noise and hesitation, and I wouldn't use the combination if the shifting was merely passable. However, this combo may or may not work for you, depending on your chainstay length, derailleur hanger, and other factors. At least the experiment isn't too expensive (shimano freehub + cassette).

I should also note that - at least for me - there was a bit of a learning curve installing the Campagnolo 11 speed group. In my experience, you have to be much more careful to get the right cable housing lengths, precisely set limit screws, and use the correct ferrules than you would with Campagnolo or Sram 10 speed, which I was using before. It took me a little while to get it all shifting correctly, even with a Campagnolo cassette. I mention this b/c if you're installing Campagnolo 11 speed for the first time on a bike with a Shimano cassette -- and you're a "learning" mechanic like me -- you might incorrectly assume the combination won't work for your setup. Just read the Campagnolo installation instructions carefully:)

I would never use the extreme big/big or small/small gear combinations on any bike, even one with a 53/42 and 11-21 cassette, because of the ugly chainline. That said, my Campagnolo-with-ultegra-cassette shifts these combinations fine in the stand.

**Please note, this thread was originally asking about the 2015 groups, and I only added my 2cents after the conversation drifted to include the pre-2015 Campagnolo range. Campagnolo says the 2015 rear derailleurs have been completely redesigned, and I don't know if they will accommodate a 32t sprocket.

Good luck!

Bantamben

by Bantamben

Well I ordered the 2015 chorus group today so I'll test it with the 11-32 by the end of next week.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bantamben

by Bantamben

Well 2015 campy parts came in so I put together a bianchi. First ride on it yesterday says that it worked totally fine with the 11-32 shimano cassette.