Reviews on the new Zipp Tangente SL Speed Tubulars?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

indywagon

by indywagon

I'm looking at new tires for the upcoming season and the new Zipp Tangente SL Speed tubulars are very interesting. Zipp 303s will be my primary wheels and although I weigh only about 135 pounds, I'm looking mostly at the 27mm tire width for comfort. Has anybody ridden these tires yet?

Chris

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

finnrambo

by finnrambo

What's your reason for going Zipp instead of the standard Vittoria? They look nice but I haven't ridden them, I'm just curious about your reasoning.
Canadian Junior racer and Product Reviewer: Finn Blackburn
Blog: https://finnblackburncycling.wordpress.com/

tinozee

by tinozee

I have a couple pairs of these here but haven't tried yet. They feel thin compared to FMB, Veloflex, even vittoria. But they are supposed to be fast rolling, we'll see.

indywagon

by indywagon

finnrambo wrote:What's your reason for going Zipp instead of the standard Vittoria? They look nice but I haven't ridden them, I'm just curious about your reasoning.

Hi Finn,
I like the 25mm Vittoria CX III fine and you can't go wrong with them, but you probably inadvertently hit the nail on the head by calling them "standard." Who the hell wants "standard?" I like trying new equipment, faster is always better, the specs are good and I'm intrigued by the 27mm width.

Chris

eric01

by eric01

Hate to tell you but zipp is pretty "standard".

I run 303s and vittorias because it works for me. Tried continental but preferred feel of vittorias better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

tinozee

by tinozee

Here's an interesting spreadsheet. Still like to test on my own but for me it will only be for feel and durability. I don't have any exact way to test speed, but can tell some by looking at watts and time for a given effort, often repeated segment, etc..

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =361584932

Not really related but for clinchers I loke vittoria or veloflex open tubulars for comfort and 4000S for speed.

indywagon

by indywagon

eric01 wrote:Hate to tell you but zipp is pretty "standard".

I run 303s and vittorias because it works for me. Tried continental but preferred feel of vittorias better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Again, inadvertently hitting the nail on the head, hate to tell you, but the first iteration of the Zipp Tangente tubulars were made by Vittoria and the newer versions likely are as well. Yes, as I mentioned, the 25mm Vittoria CX tubulars are very good, you can't go wrong with them. But the new Zipp's tout improved rolling resistance and as far as I know, Vittoria doesn't make a 27mm road tubular.

indywagon

by indywagon

tinozee wrote:Here's an interesting spreadsheet. Still like to test on my own but for me it will only be for feel and durability. I don't have any exact way to test speed, but can tell some by looking at watts and time for a given effort, often repeated segment, etc..

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =361584932

Not really related but for clinchers I loke vittoria or veloflex open tubulars for comfort and 4000S for speed.

Hey tinozee, thanks for sharing this spreadsheet! Those are very interesting numbers. Where did this information come from?

Chris

deek

by deek

Tom Anhalt, a mechanical engineer that posts mostly over on Slowtwitch. Here's his blog: http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/

finnrambo

by finnrambo

indywagon wrote:
finnrambo wrote:What's your reason for going Zipp instead of the standard Vittoria? They look nice but I haven't ridden them, I'm just curious about your reasoning.

Hi Finn,
I like the 25mm Vittoria CX III fine and you can't go wrong with them, but you probably inadvertently hit the nail on the head by calling them "standard." Who the hell wants "standard?" I like trying new equipment, faster is always better, the specs are good and I'm intrigued by the 27mm width.

Chris

Put some Dugast/FMB's on there, that's very far from standard ;)
Canadian Junior racer and Product Reviewer: Finn Blackburn
Blog: https://finnblackburncycling.wordpress.com/

sd5500

by sd5500

I'm gonna give Veloflex Carbon Tubulars a go on my 6.7s and Super 9/808 set up. I kinda wish they came in 25mm instead of 23mm though.

tinozee

by tinozee

My main tubs before these are Veloflex Arenberg & Carbon, and FMB Comp CX. It will be interesting, but I would bet $20 that the zipps will be faster just based on how they feel in hand.

KarlC

by KarlC

When its time to buy new Tires, like most things, we often do research on what our options are. When doing this I came across a tire review by the well respected Tom Anhalt on his site Blather 'bout Bikes, here is the link.....

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/2014/09 ... e-and.html

Wanting more Speed and Comfort I decided to give the Zipp Tangente SLSpeed 27C Tubular a try. After a long ride yesterday I can say I'm very happy I did, these are the best tires I have ever used and an added plus at a $70 price. I love to talk about how much faster they are, but its hard to say how much of that is in my mind, they sure feel fast. I can say for sure that even at a high PSI they are VERY comfortable, they definitely smoothed out the crap roads I ride on. I have already ordered another 1 just in case I get a large gash in 1 or them.

I highly recommend you try the new Zipp Tangente SLSpeed 27C Tubular if they will fit your frame.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

mrlobber

by mrlobber

sd5500 wrote:I'm gonna give Veloflex Carbon Tubulars a go on my 6.7s and Super 9/808 set up. I kinda wish they came in 25mm instead of 23mm though.

Veloflex Arenberg is basically the Carbon in 25mm width.

Will try the Zipps this year on my TT machine, we'll see if they actually bring any improvement over Schwalbe Ironman tubulars.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com