Help building Cannondale Nano

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Frans

by Frans

I bought a 2014 Evo Nano frameset and it came with a long piece of housing inner for the rear brake.

It's one piece and it's made of a waxy braided material, it's not Teflon coated plastic that I'm used it.

How do I build the rear brake using it:

- Does it go inside the housing? There's no way it'll fit unless I extract the plastic housing - what a faff...
- Can I use regular spiral metal, plastic coated Shimano housing or do I need to use Nokian (whatever it's called) sectioned housing?

Any direct experience will be very helpful.

thanks in advance!

deek

by deek

That's just to help you install your inner cable on an internally routed frame. You take it off after you get the inner cable through. You can use any housing that you'd like.

I would save this piece for when you inevitably change cables.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

So to be clear.

Thread the inner cable through the plastic sleeve, then remove the sleeve and then slide your outer over the now internal inner cable.

Keep the plastic and then remember when you recable the bike to leave the inner in place to use to guide the plastic sleeve.

Frans

by Frans

Merci les gars, you guys rock!

tinozee

by tinozee

I just got a 2014 team frame set and am in the process of assembling. So far everything is straightforward, got a Praxis conversion kit for BB, cut steerer, fitted stem and comp. plug, installed post, bars and saddle, installed brake calipers (needed short center nut for front brake). The rest should be a breeze as long as dropouts are well aligned.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

A bit of advice as a fellow evo owner.

Do not use stock brake cable, use segmented cables like alligator or nokon for the rear brake.

The cable stop for the rear brake housing on the headtube causes some issues. Firstly if your cable length is not "perfect" the stiffnes of stock cable will push your bars to the side. Also stock housing needs to run without a ferrule to the cable stock. Over time the outer cable insulation retracts leaving bare metal on carbon stop and creates and awful scratching sound. This is not an isolated observation. Buy some ilinks now and save yourself a world of grief.

Enjoy the frame, its excellent.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

chanthony

by chanthony

Frans wrote:I bought a 2014 Evo Nano frameset and it came with a long piece of housing inner for the rear brake.

It's one piece and it's made of a waxy braided material, it's not Teflon coated plastic that I'm used it.

How do I build the rear brake using it:

- Does it go inside the housing? There's no way it'll fit unless I extract the plastic housing - what a faff...
- Can I use regular spiral metal, plastic coated Shimano housing or do I need to use Nokian (whatever it's called) sectioned housing?

Any direct experience will be very helpful.

thanks in advance!

For me, I just run the cable naked inside the top tube

Frans

by Frans

BTW - I have a 58cm and without the seat collar, no headset but with 4 alu bottle bolts the weight was 780.

So much for the 695 gram promise.

tinozee

by tinozee

That's for the Nano or painted Frans?

Frans

by Frans

Nano, 2014, 58, with the gold accepts as opposed to the 2013 with the Wedgewood blue accents (some might call it teal).

I honestly think that QA or QC suffers after year 1 b/c that's when all the magazine and the early adopters buy and weight them. After that the weight curve goes inexorably rises.

Same thing happened with the Hed Ardennes rim weight. At least with the Ardennes I was early on board back in 2008 and nothing they've put out since then is as light as the pair I have.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I'm assuming the BB was out and the hanger removed Frans. My 54 Evo (non-nano) was 733 bare.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ProEvoSLTeamHighMod

by ProEvoSLTeamHighMod

Frans wrote:BTW - I have a 58cm and without the seat collar, no headset but with 4 alu bottle bolts the weight was 780.

So much for the 695 gram promise.

FWIW, my hi-mod (NOT nano), size 48 is 680g flat with no seatpost collar, hanger or headset (only metal bonded BB cups)..

I would guess maybe a 52 is 695g?

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Cannondale only publishes weights on a 56 cm frame size, anything bigger will weigh more than advertised.

Frans

by Frans

Ok, weight of the 58cm Nano sans seat collar and bottle bolts and rear hanger (we're talking no metal left on the frame) is 751g. I cannot call that overweight. In fact, I'm 83 kg so I know that if I'm ever having a piece of chocolate cake my frame will look over at me and say: "you gonna eat that fat boy?"

For a frame as large as that it's pretty good. Large b/c the Dale 58 is 60cm from BB center to top of the ST.

http://slipstreamsports.com/2015/01/21/ ... stage-2-2/ Even Ryder, that praying mantis of a rider, seems to be on a 56 (if I had to guesstimate) and still runs a -17 stem. I thought his negative stem was b/c the Cervelo's HT was so inanely tall, but assuming he went from a 56 Cervelo to a 56 Dale his HT dropped circa 2cm in height.

If anyone is close to the team knows the skinny of that I'd be keen to hear.

I really wonder when the next iteration is out - or if Cannondale's R&D has been pared back by Doral to generate more cash...

tinozee

by tinozee

I know Hesjedal likes about 18cm of drop, which is insane. It may be that the Cervelos he was on had long top tubes, maybe a loong 56 R3, and now a longer tt Evo 58. Sort of like Sagan with a 58 length and a 54 height. David Millar rode a 58 height Cervelo with a 61 tt. But it might also be way too soon for the elite guys to be on custom frames.

I have the team 58 right here and the head tube area looks about the same as his. I am using 13cm drop and 140 stem and it's perfect. On a Tarmac 58 I needed a -17 stem but not on the evo. Ryder uses more drop, but his frame looks a tad longer too. The weirdest thing to me after looking at it is that his wiki says he is 6'2" 73kg. He looks like he is about 60kg! I am 6'3" 72kg and I look much stronger than that cricket. It may be that he has super duper long and thin arms. He also looks to be a bit round shouldered.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com