TREK Domane disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

oh sorry ... i did a mistake, my cancelled order was for a Boone ( with QR and not TA )
http://eliflap.it/

fletch62

by fletch62

I bought a 6.2 ex-demo Domane disc not long ago, after reading it was the TREK factory team choice of bike while here for the Tour Down Under. That, and the fact i was having issues (mainly mental), getting scared sh@tless while descending.
So, a demo disc came up and i went for it. Its taken awhile to get the setup right at the front, needing to go to a -17 stem, but otherwise, everything i had read about these bikes is correct. The ride is sublime comfort wise.
However, i have recently discovered that the front rotor is rubbing on the inside leg off the fork.
I have taken it back to the dealer, and photos have been sent to Trek Australia. Looks like the fork will be replaced.
I was under the impression that Shimano spec 140mm rotors with their disc brakes, however the Domane is specced with 160mm front & rear. The clearance at the fork would be half a mm at best. I am not a huge guy, 81kg, or put out massive power, race etc. but its a little concerning for this to be happening. Has anyone else had/heard of this before?
Excuse the shiity iphone pictures, and filthy bike.
ImageImageImage

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Svetty

by Svetty

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Surely something wrong there?

Tenlegs

by Tenlegs

Maybe you could ask this guy for an update, looks like he has disc rub too.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12997396

maxxevv

by maxxevv

The frame seems to be designed for 140mm discs ?

Either that or the specs for the fork are out of tolerance ?

fletch62

by fletch62

Check the Trek website. All the Domane models come with 160mm rotors. I will take a photo of the clearance later today, but i doubt i could get a business card to pass thru the gap.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I think there's no excuse for stuff like that happening, especially to a company like Trek. Someone's head should roll for that blunder. Reminds me of when Cervelo came out with their fat chain stays then had to post a list of wheels that weren't compatible with their frames, and it was not insignificant. Or Zipps change in marketing spin when all of a sudden their subzero disc which was so aero it would actually provide "forward lift" was found to be quite incompatible with the new generation of TT bikes due to clearance issues. Things change for sure and sometimes incompatibilities are unavoidable, but what was funny was they suddenly created the flatter SuperZero disk which they had to somehow say was as aero as the ZubZero. Which of course they had no problem doing. Marketers have no shame.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

CulBaire

by CulBaire

fletch62 wrote:I bought a 6.2 ex-demo Domane disc not long ago, after reading it was the TREK factory team choice of bike while here for the Tour Down Under.

If I recall correctly Dan McConnell (mtb) was using the Domane for all of his summer road racing as he found it much more comfortable, due to the more relaxed geometry. Despite being pretty heavy they are a great looking bike, but not sure I would go discs personally even though I was an early convert to discs on the MTB.

toshi

by toshi

I was at City Cycle in San Francisco the other day, and spotted two brand new Domane Disc with clear rotor rub on the front forks. I'm stunned they even put them on the floor like that. :shock:

grover

by grover

fletch62, is the steerer on your domane 6.2 disc aluminium or carbon?

netromsa

by netromsa

The steerer of the domane 6.9 is carbon, so I guess it's carbon on the 6.2 as well. Regarding the disc rub, I noticed the same damage on my fork a few months ago. I thought it was because of banging the disc against the fork when mounting the wheel. Because I just did that exact thing, and hit that spot with the rotor.

I've put some helicoptertape over it and haven't really checked it since, will take a look tonight!

fletch62

by fletch62

Carbon steerer. I attempted to get a photo showing the clearance. A credit card will not fit between rotor & fork.
ImageImage

JensW

by JensW

looks little bit to tight if you ask me. as someone said, haven't shimano said it should be 140 mm disc for road? and it seams as the frame has been designed to it to, considering that there is a adapter. but what has trek said?

netromsa

by netromsa

Just checked the tape, and the rotor has rubbed trough it. Will be contacting trek Netherlands tomorrow.

Trek btw designed and sells all of them with 160 rotors

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jeffy

by jeffy

pretty bad *f##k* up from Trek.

there is going to be lots of warranty claims if people notice.

140mm front work fine for ~85kg at least.