TREK Domane disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

netromsa

by netromsa

OliverRB wrote:First time posting an image so sorry if this goes horribly wrong...

http://imgur.com/BefCRc6

Thanks, looks fine. But it doesn't seen to add more clearance

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Trkorb

by Trkorb

Time will tell if its enough... although I did take it for a spin and no problem.

It is about 1.5-2mm more clearance than the other fork... (hard to believe)

Interestingly there was a warning sticker that the forks are not compatible with anything other than 160mm rotors, I wonder if that is just a precaution?

fletch62

by fletch62

My fork has come in, so i took the bike down for it to be fitted. The fork is exactly the same as the old one, no indent!
They are going to fit it and see how it looks with the new axle inserts, but i cant see it making much/enough difference.
Very disappointed with Trek.

Trkorb

by Trkorb

Fletch,

When we were given our new forks, we have one with an indent, and one without. I questioned warranty UK on this and all they said is that every new fork that has been fitted has been fine...

No problems yet but it is a bit strange as there seems to be two fork specs around at the minute...

fletch62

by fletch62

I spoke to my LBS about OliverRB's fork and was told they contacted Trek USA, who stated that the fork with the indent was not a Domane fork. Possibly off a CX frame, but not a new fork to suit the Domane.
I have just got my bike back on Friday, (been at the shop since 24/5/15) and they have replaced the fork, new but same fork, and added a spacer to the dropout. The clearance in marginally better, i can just get a credit card thru which is 0.77mm thick. I was told this is THE only solution and not to expect a new fork with better clearance now, or on the next model either.
I would guess the clearance to be about .85mm between spinning metal blade and fragile when damaged, carbon fibre.
Really pissed with the whole situation, had nothing but trouble with the brakes since i bought it, and might end up just selling it on. Lovely frame to ride though, but i would stick with conventional calipers if i had my time over.

shlammed

by shlammed

does it still rub since they put the spacer in?

sounds like they did fix the problem. 1mm is fine, IMO.

Wheever

by Wheever

Thought I would chime in here. Bought a Domane 4.5 disc in April. No disk rub on the fork. Trek must have either corrected the issue or made the space mod standard.

Birdman

by Birdman

I bought a 2014 Domane 4.5 Disc frameset few months ago, and here are the weights:

Frame = bare frame + rear hanger for through axle + water bottle bolts + Duotrap dummy + derailleur cable stops + IsoSpeed decoupler - head set - bottom bracket - seat collar - BB cable guide - rear brake cable rubber fittings - chain guide
1,543 g

Fork, uncut, aluminum steerer
536 g

I have a Domane 6.2 rim brake version, and I also live in a flat area, so lately the 4.5 Disc is getting no love. I purchased the 4.5 Disc for the large tire clearance, but it isn't THAT much larger compare to the rim brake. Someone at roadbikereview.com fitted (with photo) 32c front 28c rear on the rim brake 6 series Domane. The 4.5 Disc I have can do probably a hair more, (maybe 35c front 30c rear? will confirm this later). I can live with the tire clearance, but the weight really killed it for me...

I have 160mm rotor front and rear, no rubbing issue for me, but then again, that a whole lot of riding hours yet.

The replaceable drop out on the Disc version is cool though. I'm running quick release right now. The replaceable drop out seems very reliable in design.
Cervelo R3 MUD ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=136544
Specialized Allez Gold ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134419

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Can someone please tell me, which thru axle standards these are, on Domane fork/frame?
There are writings on axles: front 100x15 (138mm); rear 142x12 (174mm)
Last edited by rainerhq on Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

gaz6point2

by gaz6point2

Hello guys. I have one of these bikes. Have had it for about 9 months. I weigh 115kgs and I have never had this disc rub problem onto the fork.
Only when I push it hard standing do you get a noise of the discs skimming the brake pads.
I love this bike!

Birdman

by Birdman

rainerhq wrote:Can someone please tell me, which thru axle standards these are, on Domane fork/frame?
There are writings on axles: front 100x15 (138mm); rear 142x12 (174mm)

Stock Domane disc are standard mountain bike through axle as you have stated, 100x15, 142x12

It can also be converted to quick release, which I have done. However, once the drop outs are converted to QR, it makes the drop out taps MUCH thicker, it can only take the Bontrager specially made slightly longer skewers. I was disappointed that I was unable to use my DT Swiss RWS skewers but the Bontrager ones are fairly decent. Pretty good for externally cam skewers.

rainerhq

by rainerhq

I don´t want QR. I found TA´es which fit, but look at those prices.
front 68€: https://r2-bike.com/SHIFT-UP-Thru-Axle- ... igid-Forks
rear 78€: https://r2-bike.com/navi.php?jtl_token= ... f=201&af=0

Birdman

by Birdman

Ah I see, you were looking for low profile through axles?

How are those working out for you?

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Haven´t bought them yet, will be during winter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

garlet

by garlet

i bought domani because of iso speed system
it's so comfort.. i'll buy disc model too.