Kask Protone - anyone got one yet?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wingguy

by wingguy

It should be fine, it doesn't have the same bulky hinge arrangement as the mojito.

tharmor

by tharmor

Those that were the early adopters of this helmet - Can you comment of the fit? Is it similar to other Kask helmets, or better yet, is it similar to the Prevail from Specialized?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

I just the Protone that I was waiting on and I will be returning it. I have been a Giro user since 1987 and I must be completely used to how they fit and feel as the Protone felt alien. I didn't like the fixed side straps. At the angle I would want to wear the Protone, the front strap was too long and the rear strap too short, leading to puckering in the front and tautness in the rear. Additionally, I do not like that hard leather-like strap under the chin. Giro straps are much softer and I had to really let out the Protone strap under the chin to eliminate pressure against my adams apple.

It's a nice looking helmet but I have realized that it's Giro for me.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

^^^

Thanks for that update!
I go for Suomy Gunwind.
http://www.suomysport.com/en/products/r ... black.html
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

I just got a protone and really like it. I had a mojito before. Im not super pumped on the straps but they aren't really that big of an issue. I haven't been able to fit Giros comfortably since they went to a rounder shape and eliminated the s/m sizing about 10 years ago.

Lugan

by Lugan

wingguy wrote:Spoke to them the other day - said they couldn't guarantee anything before July. Some issue with production apparently.

July?!?!? That will be the one year anniversary of the announcement of this helmet, which seems a long time to sort out manufacturing issues with a relatively simple structure made of plastic and styrofoam. My size large has been on order since January. I may punt that order to another brand.

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

Wow, production constraints especially as the grand tours kick off can't be good. As an owner of a smaller size, if you can afford to wait, the helmet is worth it... fit and adjustability is great..
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

zander

by zander

That Suomy Gunwind looks very nice. Is it for sale somewhere?

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Last edited by wheelsONfire on Fri May 29, 2015 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Lugan

by Lugan

Availability Update: Just spoke with the large web/LBS bike shop in the US where my size large Protone has been on order since February. They got another shipment yesterday, but only size small. They have not seen a size large yet in their shop and don't know when they will arrive. The person I spoke with seemed knowledgeable about the delays and basically said this was fairly typical of Italian manufacturers. We then discussed the decline of the Italian economy over the past few decades and I decided to keep waiting rather than cancel the order.

micky

by micky

You might be interested to know that despite the decline economy in Italy, some italian shops have them on stock both in M and L sizes.
Im not linked to them but just been surfing the web for find best deal for a friend of mine.

sungod

by sungod

Dodger747 wrote:Any issues with these and Oakleys? I've been reading that the Mojito doesn't work well with the arms on Radars...

only done a few rides, but i'm finding the rear-side bits of the inner cradle are fouling on the ends of the radars, so that they get pushed forward a bit, it's annoying as it allows more wind in the eyes - i'm wary of this as i wear contacts, even with the radars firmly in place i've had a lens blown out twice by catching a very strong side wind in the last couple of years

there are two separate adjustments for these so i'm going to experiment to see if i can find a position that works best, maybe head shape is a factor as well

aside from that, i like the protone, i got it to replace my aeon which was cracked when i crashed, vs. the aeon i'm finding the protone...

+ lighter and more compact
+ less wind noise
+ feels like it doesn't catch the wind as much

~ the sizing is slightly smaller than the aeon, i take a medium in both but with the protone there's much less 'spare' room, this matches up with the 58cm max rating vs 59cm for giro
~ still not convinced about the chin strap but the first long/hot ride will be the test

- the cradle fouls arms of glasses (at least with radars)
Last edited by sungod on Fri May 29, 2015 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dodger747

by Dodger747

Thanks.

I ended up buying a Tour of Dubai one and have also had the same issue with my Radars, which means I have to wear them in a slightly different position. My Jawbones are fine however.

I also remain to be convinced about the chinstrap. But I do like the Protone on balance.
VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
W/kg - 4.9

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

No problem using Smith optics Pivlock V2 with Suomy Gun wind (Elegance).
It's such a bad weather here so i can't get a ride, but it feels light on the head even though it shows 240g on the scale.
Given weight was 230g for Medium.
Attachments
P1000752.JPG
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

sungod

by sungod

btw, protone weight...

label says 215g, measured 234g

medium, ce version, white/red

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com