Kask Protone - anyone got one yet?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wingguy

by wingguy

sd5500 wrote:If I had to guess, I'd say their Infinity did not do well in sales.

The Infinity has tested really well, and a few friends have them and love them. Personally, I would never buy a helmet with a sliding part like that. Even if it's effective it feels cheap and horrible, and I'd imagine that put a lot of other people off as well.

sd5500

by sd5500

Anyone find one of these yet? I can't find a site that has them yet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

Mine just arrived from the UK, a place called Scotby Cycles, excellent service. I am coming from a Giro Prolight and a Giro Ionus. This Protone weighed in at 220 grams about in the middle of the 2 Giro helmets. The fit and finish is top notch. It is very adjustable , easily fitting over a thin skull cap, winter cap, cycle cap and no cap adjusting easily between the 4. It fits much lower on the head then the Giro Helmets. I have only done a short outdoor ride with a heavy winter cap (it is -20c where I live) but it disappeared on my head. I wear RX Oakley Fast Jacket glasses and they seem to stay put very well upside down in the second set of vent holes. I need mine to see so I do not wear them like this often. I purchased the limited edition Tour of Dubai color way and am very pleased. The lettering is only decals so they can easily be peeled off for those looking for more stealth and less Nascar. I personally removed the Tour of Dubai lettering as well as the Dubai flags. The color matched very well to my latest build

Last edited by mvacolnago on Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

trustbran

by trustbran

Thanks so much for the Heads up and short review!!!

ORDERED! Yeee Haaawww

sd5500

by sd5500

trustbran wrote:Thanks so much for the Heads up and short review!!!

ORDERED! Yeee Haaawww

Where from? I emailed Scotby Cycles, and the return email I received no Protone's until mid April. I do see they have the Tour of Dubai in stock. I'm looking for the black/white.

tibikeboy

by tibikeboy

@ mvacolnago

Thanks for the review! In comparison to the Giro Aeon for shape, would you say the Protone has the same shape, is rounder, or more oval than the Aeon's shape?

Thanks in advance.

trustbran

by trustbran

sd5500 wrote:
trustbran wrote:Thanks so much for the Heads up and short review!!!

ORDERED! Yeee Haaawww

Where from? I emailed Scotby Cycles, and the return email I received no Protone's until mid April. I do see they have the Tour of Dubai in stock. I'm looking for the black/white.

sd5500 - Aloha, I ordered Scotby Cycles the Tour of Dubai as this color, white color, and red color are what I want.

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

Here are some side by side photos, from the front view starting on the left, Giro Prolight, Kask Protone, Giro Ionus

spartan

by spartan

i wear a M in giro aeon. does the kask sizing match to a M?
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

spartan wrote:i wear a M in giro aeon. does the kask sizing match to a M?
Yes, I also am a medium in a Giro helmet, the medium Kask fits well and has a lot more adjustability.

Carrots

by Carrots

Be interesting to see ifthe Protone carries the same fit as the Mojito. Personally found the Vertigo to be a poor fit (to short length wise), although it was a blessing in disguise and the Mojito (for me) is the hands down most comfortable helmet I've had. Here's hoping the fits are the same!

trustbran

by trustbran

Thanks for the comparison shots!

fignonsbarber

by fignonsbarber

OP,
thanks for this. Could you post a photo of the inside of the protone, to get an idea of the fit shape versus giro? Thanks and nice colnago too!

trustbran

by trustbran

Got mine in, size Med. Here are some quick shots comparing it to a Genesis. Have not ridden it out yet but first initial thoughts are - feels very light on my head, straps are very comfortable especially the chin, and the fit is very good (if your head fits a Genesis that is). Sorry for the crapy iPhone shots.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

quite nice, but i still preffer my giro aeon!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com