Wrenching: Scott Addict R1 Headset, Fork, and Top Cap

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WinSuits

by WinSuits

Looking for some info to learn what I need to do to fix my fork and headset.

I am rolling the 2011 R1 (weight weenie delight) and my fork doesn't seem to turn correctly.

This is after a recent fork replacement (same year model, same style, same dimensions, factory original) and the local shop cannot seem to get it right... the top cap must sit so loosely that I can (un)tighten it by hand while I'm sitting in the saddle- I know that's not right, but otherwise if the top cap is tightened sufficiently (~4NM) then it applies too much pressure and makes the fork stiff within the headset and head tube.

What is going on here? It looks like to me that the spacing in the headset is incorrect (b/c a gap of about 1.5mm shows a race between the fork body and the bottom of the top tube... I'll attach a picture later), OR it could be something as simple as the stack on the spacers need to be increased so that the bolt doesn't compress the compression plug so much?

Suggestions much appreciated.
Thx!

finnrambo

by finnrambo

WinSuits wrote:the spacers need to be increased so that the bolt doesn't compress the compression plug so much?

Can you please explain what you mean by this? Is your top cap touching your compression plug? If so you definitely need some more spacers.
Canadian Junior racer and Product Reviewer: Finn Blackburn
Blog: https://finnblackburncycling.wordpress.com/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WinSuits

by WinSuits

It's not that the top cap is touching the compression plug, but rather (I think) that the top cap is applying too much downward force down through the spacers and onto the stem (in the vertical plane) which is restricting movement of the steer tube.

eric01

by eric01

What you just described is the very basics of headset adjustment. If your local bike shop can't adjust, find another bike shop

Assuming the bike shop isn't completely incompetent it must be something else. Pics would be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

WinSuits

by WinSuits

Thank you for your input. Unfortunately the bike shop is the only shop within 300k.

I can probably fix it, but because it's a new fork and a new headset I believe that the shop ordered the wrong headset and now that its been installed I feel like I am going to have to keep pressing the issue to make them fix the problem without coming out and saying "I think that you ordered and installed the wrong headset."

On the other hand, it might be faster and more convenient to order a new/correct headset and install it myself.

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

On the other hand, it might be faster and more convenient to order a new/correct headset and install it myself.

If I were you, that is what I would do. Also, make sure the fork bung is not slipping (use some carbon paste, but don't over tighten to the point where it can damage the steerer).

glepore

by glepore

The taper on the hs is likely wrong. Downfall of the multiple standards world in which we exist. Hard to diagnose from afar, with the info provided, and no detailed pix. And I'm a wrench.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

WinSuits

by WinSuits

glepore wrote:The taper on the hs is likely wrong. Downfall of the multiple standards world in which we exist. Hard to diagnose from afar, with the info provided, and no detailed pix. And I'm a wrench.

Your diagnosis sounds promising. I'll check into that. Thank you!!

taekon

by taekon

a scott addict
----------------------------------------------------------------
Canyon ultimate CF SL 9.0

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Its quite possible the shop installed a standard cane creek headset bearing, instead of the Ritchey drop in bearings that the Scotts use. The angles are different on the bearings, and this would cause the symptoms you've described. Ritchey are 45 x 45 deg. Cane creek are 36 x 45 deg.

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

What that man said. Sounds like bearings of the wrong size or alignment.

BRM

by BRM

Its very simple, you need to go back to that shop.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

glepore wrote:The taper on the hs is likely wrong. Downfall of the multiple standards world in which we exist. Hard to diagnose from afar, with the info provided, and no detailed pix. And I'm a wrench.

+1 on this.
I replaced headset on my 2011 scott addict r1 and had the same issue finding the correct bearings from the shop as they ordered the cane creek ones.
Link here for compatible bearings:
http://www.amazon.com/Ritchey-Headset-R ... 0062N4V8G/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com