crank double or compact

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

humanstrobe

by humanstrobe

I'm in the 50-36 camp as well.
Using a 27 or 28 tooth in the rear meant very rarely using all 34 for the normal compact, especially since I don't live near any mountains.
50-36 is best of both worlds with the added benefit of having a much smoother transition between front shifts.
http://www.gear-calculator.com/# is great for visualising any setup before trying it.

eric

by eric

kgt wrote:
On the other hand if 39-29 is not enough for someone to climb then he just needs more or better training, not a compact crankset.

I guess all those pros who use compacts for extreme climbing stages in the Giro or Vuelta just need to train more, and you're faster than they are.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

eric please... extreme-climbing with a speed of 25km/h is not exactly what most amateurs use to do. Flats and short (200-300m) hills with an average speed of 25-30km/h. This is a case where a standard and a 12-25 cassette is better for most riders.
That's just my experience and opinion, you don't have to agree. Just share your experience with us.

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

39x29 or the like is about the same as a 36x27 or a 34x25.

Maybe the rider prefers having a tighter spaced cassette and lighter weight setup?

Also, a lot of amateurs ride in the mountains. The fact they are riding slower means a compact benefits them even more, since it keeps their cadence in an acceptable range. I've ridden the Mortirolo and the Zoncolon with a 34x25 and both were very hard with that gear... and I'm in above reasonable shape. I would have a 34x27 or 28 if I went back.

I still think most people would benefit from the 50T big ring more than the 34 or 36T inner ring though. 53T is way bigger than most people need. A 50T gets you more centered in the cassette and lets you remain in the big ring longer. A 50/38 setup would probably be awesome if you lived in rolling terrain.

djconnel

by djconnel

Hmmm... the crash happens right after they pass the Microsoft banners.

eric

by eric

kgt wrote:eric please... extreme-climbing with a speed of 25km/h is not exactly what most amateurs use to do. Flats and short (200-300m) hills with an average speed of 25-30km/h. This is a case where a standard and a 12-25 cassette is better for most riders.
That's just my experience and opinion, you don't have to agree. Just share your experience with us.

That's where you ride. Here in coastal northern California we have a lot of 500m-1000m climbs. And not far away, 2000m climbs that go to 3000m elevation. We have a stage race here in California which climbs 29,035' (8850m) in two days, with repeated trips above 3000M. The last 10km of the last climb on the second day is viciously steep. I use a 34x30 for that and have had other racers ask if they could buy my gearing as I passed them. Almost every racer uses a compact crank for this race. Most who don't wish they did.

The road I live on is well known locally for being a difficult climb. When I bought a new Cervelo some years ago I asked for a compact crank, which were not common at the time. When I went to pick up the bike and gave my address for the invoice, they said "oh, that explains it. We were wondering why a guy as fit as you would want a compact".

Making blanket assertions about the gearing that people should use is often going to be wrong. You don't know the terrain they are riding, their pedalling style or their fitness. When you make the assertion that anyone who wants to use a compact just needs to train more, you're ignoring the first two factors.

Raineman

by Raineman

^exactly, the gearing you choose should be suitable for you riding ability, style and where you ride. Idealy such that you use all your ratios equally but this doesn't happen, so high enough at the top and low enough at the bottom to have a get out when needed.

If you race, ride on flats only or are suitably strong then standards are great. For most other people a compact will suffice and could allow for a tighter cassette which would be preferable. I ride with 52/38 and an 11-28 and only use the 38x28 on the days when my legs don't work, but when I do use it I am glad I have it. For less experienced riders this could be too much and so a compact would be better for where I ride.

At the end of the day it comes down to personal choice for how and where you ride. If one wass unsure, I would recommend a compact as having a bailout gear you don't use is better than having to walk.

Rick

by Rick

You just have to chuckle at some of the statements people make. :lol:

kgt

by kgt

You are talking about climbing "Mortirolo and the Zoncolan", "2000m climbs that go to 3000m elevation" and other difficult climbs. I totally agree a compact is suitable for these cases (even a triple one).
I still doubt this kind of climbing is a large percentage of an average cyclist's rides or his winter training.

eric

by eric

kgt wrote:You are talking about climbing "Mortirolo and the Zoncolan", "2000m climbs that go to 3000m elevation" and other difficult climbs. I totally agree a compact is suitable for these cases (even a triple one).
I still doubt this kind of climbing is a large percentage of an average cyclist's rides or his winter training.

But you did not qualify your original statement with "average" or "winter training". You said "On the other hand if 39-29 is not enough for someone to climb then he just needs more or better training, not a compact crankset."

No qualifiers there, just a blanket statement.

jimborello

by jimborello

Come on guys, a 52-36 up front and an 11-29 cassette in an 11 speed groupset practically covers every need for a typical rider. Unless you are a very powerful sprinter or you are going to do some extremely long and steep climbs.

SteveMT

by SteveMT

Yup, ditto to above comments.

52-36 up front
11-28 in the back.
Calculate the gear ratios.
There is a smooth progression of gearing using this setup with no big jumps in between.

36 x 28 = a 34.7 inch gear
39 x 31 = a 34.0 inch gear
Less weight with essentially the same low gear is why this place is called "weight weanies."

A 52 x 11 versus a 53 x 11 is just a one tooth difference and only does make a difference if your last name is Kittel.

kgt

by kgt

I agree 52-11 is fine but most compacts are 50-34 and 50-11 is not enough IME.

Svetty

by Svetty

kgt wrote:I agree 52-11 is fine but most compacts are 50-34 and 50-11 is not enough IME.

You're not Tony Martin by any chance? :roll:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

Nope, I just like to ride more efficiently at a lower cadence.