Chinese Clincher- Choice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

torob

by torob

cep111 wrote:Below are "Firecrest" style 25mm U shape. I'm going to pick up a couple more rims this weekend, Not sure yet which choice to get. Think I will use some Zipp 88/188 hubs.

Interesting - thanks for posting. I see the light-bicycles rims don't bulge out like the carbon-cycles ones on eBay discussed quite a bit on these forums:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Sapim-CX-Ray-Car ... 6016.l4276
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

torob

by torob

While I'm at it, here's Asiancycleexpress' version of their "U" shape rims. I wonder if it's worth collecting these various shapes and comparing against some of the shapes of the big names..

http://www.asiancyclexpress.com/road-ho ... -rims-wu5c

Using Tapatalk

kelly07

by kelly07

good very good

KC

by KC

Here are the Zipp hubs I'm using for my LB wheel build. They are about 10 years old but the bearings are butter smooth. Aluminum polish works charms on the none anodized Versions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slashdotdash

by slashdotdash

Having difficulty deciding between the following U-shaped carbon rims. Planning a 20H/24H build with a lightweight 20H front hub (e.g. Novatec A291SB-SL or Bitex RAF10) and possibly a Dura Ace 9000 rear hub combined with Sapim CX-Ray spokes. Somewhere around 1450g total wheelset weight.

• Light-Bicycle - 45mm 480+/-15g @ $170 each - $403.65 total with shipping
  • asiancyclexpress (YISHUNBIKE) - 38mm (Front) 460+/-15g @ $189 and 50mm 500+/-15g @ $199 (Rear) - $388 total with free shipping

Can anyone help sway my decision either way? Any experience with either supplier, build quality, aero benefits? The asiancyclexpress rims look closer to the Zipp Firecrest shape with the pronounced bulge and they have titanium support in the rim flange to aid heat dissipation. Whereas the light-bicycle rims are 45mm deep which is identical to Zipp 303s.
Last edited by slashdotdash on Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slashdotdash

by slashdotdash

Here are profiles for the above mentioned rims.

Light-Bicycle 45mm 480+/-15g @ $170

asiancyclexpress 38mm (Front) 460+/-15g @ $189

asiancyclexpress 50mm (Rear) 500+/-15g @ $199

greg755

by greg755

I have the Light-Bicycle 45mm U-Shape rim on the front of my bike and it is not like the first drawing you've posted. The sides do not go straight down from the brake tract like in your drawing, they bulge out like in the second and third drawings shown. I got mine a few months ago (around mid-January I believe) so it is more than likely the latest/newest version.

Prior to this I had Reynolds Assault 46mm on the front, which had a flatter side profile, and this new wheel is much better in crosswinds. It is still affected by crosswinds, but it's more of a gentle pushing the bike to the side, compared to a much more harsh jerk on the bars with the old wheel.

slashdotdash

by slashdotdash

greg755 wrote:I have the Light-Bicycle 45mm U-Shape rim on the front of my bike and it is not like the first drawing you've posted. The sides do not go straight down from the brake tract like in your drawing, they bulge out like in the second and third drawings shown. I got mine a few months ago (around mid-January I believe) so it is more than likely the latest/newest version.

Thanks for the reply Greg, sounds like you have the original version of the 45mm rim (RRU45C). The latest model (RRU45C02) has the flat profile I've linked to. That was emailed to me today from the company. Not sure what the benefits/costs of the new shape are.

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

Interesting topic! I was thinking about getting the rims on these FarSports wheels (http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 72569.html) -- I already have some DT hubs I'd like to reuse. How do the light-cycles and others compare? I'm concerned about crosswinds (I'm only 62kg, and Mercury M5 wheels are a scary handful at times), braking reliability, and durability. I'm a pro/1/2 masters racer, but not a super climber or descender.

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

Um, do you mean the light-cycles rims are not good, the FarSports ones are not good, or... ?

Marin

by Marin

Or are you posting nonsense to get your post count up?

ricerocket

by ricerocket

asiancyclexpress is just a storefront for Yishun Bike.

Their profiles push the peak a little further back than the 404 shape, more like the ENVE shape.

404:

ENVE 4.5:

Yishun 60mm (also in 38, 50, and 88mm):

The Farsports has a flat, narrow braketrack.

The Light-Bicycle has a U-shaped now as well, but only in 35mm and 45mm, shape seems to be similar to the Yishuns:

weeni
in the industry

by weeni

each supplier have their different rim depth, but the rim specifications/technology is nearly same.
web: www.xmcarbonspeed.com
Email: bellajian@foxmail.com

karry

by karry

Ah, happy to see this topic. I know light-bicycle and farsports are well known for you, I also want to recommend our products to you. Well, just more choices for you :D

We also have U-shape clincher in 23/25mm width, 38/50/60/88mm depth, and have tubeless compatible.

I am from Xiamen Boostbicycle. :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ravenmore

by Ravenmore

Tagging along. Might be in the market for new wheels soon.