Chinese Clincher- Choice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

lord_brush

by lord_brush

Thinking of trying some Chinese clinchers for training purposes, and was wondering what the general concensus is with regards who offers the best build/ price, or are they all much-of-a-muchness?

Ideally I’m looking at 38 or 50mm clinchers- 23 or 25mm width.

Far Sports/ Carbonzone/ Yishun….anyone else?
The right to bear arms is slightly less ludicrous than the right to arm bears. (Chris Addison)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

I like the service of Rae, from Carbon-Cycle. He customised the wheels as I wanted, built it for me and posted really quick.

lord_brush

by lord_brush

ToffieBoi wrote:I like the service of Rae, from Carbon-Cycle. He customised the wheels as I wanted, built it for me and posted really quick.

I'll check them out. Are they eBay?
The right to bear arms is slightly less ludicrous than the right to arm bears. (Chris Addison)

jrmynthn

by jrmynthn

I've so far been happy with the build and ride quality of the new Yishun wheels I had built up. Mind you I haven't logged a lot of miles on them yet. I have a blog post about my impressions of them on my blog here.

Overall, they exceeded my expectations and seem built quite sturdy. For reference they are the 38mm and 50mm wide profile torodial shape from Yishun. My wheel builder had recommended them over the Far Sports because his experience was that Yishun was better built with spoke reinforcement and brake surface reinforcement.

lord_brush

by lord_brush

Thanks- I'll look into them also.

I dropped Carbon-Cycle an email also and got a very prompt reply from Rae re costs of what I'm after.

jrmynthn

by jrmynthn

It's worth checking out the everything wheels forum on this board. There is an Open Mould Clincher thread with info on Yishun and just about every option out there. There is a seperate Far Sports thread with a wealth of conversation to read.

weeni
in the industry

by weeni

jrmynthn wrote:It's worth checking out the everything wheels forum on this board. There is an Open Mould Clincher thread with info on Yishun and just about every option out there. There is a seperate Far Sports thread with a wealth of conversation to read.

Now Xiamen China have many good quality carbon wheels supplier, because they all specializes in manufacturing carbon fiber rim for years than Shenzhen, and have experienced wheels builder. Mostly they get hubs/spokes/nipples from Taiwan, they constantly develop new products to satisfy cyclist's comfortable riding. But there is also someone make low-end material rim.

if same wheels with same hub, spokes, nipples, but there is more 50usd price difference, you need consider the rim material.

In china, pls believe: you get what you pay for! :D :D
web: www.xmcarbonspeed.com
Email: bellajian@foxmail.com

greg755

by greg755

I have carbon clinchers from Light-Bicycle.com with a 60mm rear and a 45mm "u-shaped" on the front. Similar to Enve SES setup where the front is wider and shallower than the rear. I sent them Dura-Ace 9000 hubs to have them built with, rather than going with any of their hub options. No real feedback yet as I've only got 350mi on the rear, and one single ride on the front.

I haven't read any posts, or done any type of research what-so-ever, in regard to Chinese made carbon road bike wheels, but the reason I went with LB is because I have a set of their carbon wheels on my mountain bike that I'm happy with. In addition, I have found them to be extremely professional and easy to work with. They answer every email promptly, and kept me informed as to the status (rim done being made, wheel assembly finished, shipping notification with tracking number, etc.) along the way. I'm way more impressed with their customer service and professionalism than I am with many USA or Canadian bike companies. It takes about two weeks from order date to shipping date, and then another five or six business days to arrive to me in CA... so right at about three weeks.

BTW, I also had them make me pair of 3k weave carbon bottle cages (they have several styles, I got the #BC01) that look awesome, weigh 22g, and cost a ridiculous $11 each.

cep111

by cep111

I have used light-bicycle.com a few times, 4-5 pairs over a few years. Some for friends. I just bought the rims and built them up here on my own hub choices. The weights are right on and I have had fantastic luck with them. I use DT Swiss aero lights and it's easy to build a Clydesdale worthy sub 1400 gram set of 50mm wheels.

I'm ordering a pair of the newer 23mm wide rims in a 50mm size next. Not sure I'm ready for 25mm wide yet.

Benno

by Benno

I just ordered a set of 24mm (depth) clinchers from light-bicycle to replace the Zipp 202's on my Defy. I was very unhappy with the Zipps. I'll post up my impressions when they arrive. It'll be my first pair of Chinese carbon wheels.

tharmor

by tharmor

greg755 wrote:I have carbon clinchers from Light-Bicycle.com with a 60mm rear and a 45mm "u-shaped" on the front. Similar to Enve SES setup where the front is wider and shallower than the rear.

I have yet to see any info on the 60mm from L-B (especially on their website). Do you care to share some more info? I'd love to see a picture of the wheel.

greg755

by greg755

tharmor, I've been meaning to take some phtotos, I'll see if I can this weekend. Here is the drawing they sent me when I inquired about the rim...

Here is the link to the rim: http://www.light-bicycle.com/wider-carb ... O9Eh0Icj7U
The photos on that link are of the old version, which has flat sides, not as rounded, and not as good in cross-winds. The wheel that I got is just like the drawing above, with a more rounded profile.

KC

by KC

My local bike shop this now stocking rims from light.bicycle.com they are using them to rebuild zip 404's that are out of warranty. I saw a couple of pair yesterday and it is a newer 23 mm wide rim that looks just like the photo above. More of a U-shaped than The old V shape. It also looks like their product has improved cosmetically from the ones I ordered three years ago. Which were not bad by the way the new rim I saw just look pretty amazing. What was the weight of your 60 mm rims?.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greg755

by greg755

My 60mm is a rear wheel. I weighed the Dura-Ace hub before sending it to them, and it was 250g. The complete built wheel is 865g... so 615g for the rim/bladed spokes/nipples.

On the front I have this: http://www.light-bicycle.com/700C-carbo ... O_Z-EIcj7U and it is really wide and rounded. In fact it gets wider past the brake surface. I don't have the drawing for that rim, I can't remember if they sent it to me or not. Prior to this I had older (2010 model) Reynolds Assault 46mm wheels that had the older style flat sided v-shape to them, and they were much worse in cross-winds than my new LB "U-Shape" 45mm rim is.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cep111

by cep111

Here are the 23mm width rims, kind of a rounded V shape

RR38C02: 440g+/-15, USD159/pcs

RR50C02: 470g+/-15, USD165/pcs

RR60C02: 520g+/-15, USD175/pcs

Below are "Firecrest" style 25mm U shape. I'm going to pick up a couple more rims this weekend, Not sure yet which choice to get. Think I will use some Zipp 88/188 hubs.

RRU35C02: 420g+/-15, USD163/pcs

RRU45C02: 450g+/-15, USD170/pcs

RRU55C02: 480g+/-15, USD178/pcs
Attachments
U55 clincher.png
U45C02.jpg
U35C02.jpg
50c.jpg
60mm%20clincher%20rim%20with%2023mm%20width%20copy.jpg
R38c.jpg