CAAD 10, lightweight fender? (that fits)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

604Yarks

by 604Yarks

I'm in the process of returning a set of Crud Roadracer mk2 fenders as they simply rub too much to even try on the road.
I'm running 105 brakes, and 25c tires, and there's just no way to get these on without them making full contact at the top of the rear.

Curious what other folks are using??

TIA
2013 CAAD 10 105
My wallet gets more weight-weenie by the day.

gospastic

by gospastic

I just fit some PDW Full Metal Fenders to my CAAD10. I have an older model though. They would only work with 23s though. I could probably use Cruds with 25s on mine but I lost one of the mounting thingies. If you can't fit Crud Roadracers on yours I don't think PDWs will fit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zabba

by Zabba

Hey,
I got an Caad 10 105 2014 fitted with cruds. I had the same problem, i solved it like this. For the front i rolled up a bit of cardboard and put it under the brake calliper with double sided tape, so i get some leverage which lifts up the fender on the other side. I am working on a more permanent and better looking fix. I am open to any suggestions.
For the back it was easier for me, because i have a rack (tubus fly) installed, so i was able to pinch two holes into the fender and get a zip tie to the rack. I got no idea how you are supposed to get this fenders rub free with just the three points of contact provided. Maybe you can do what i did at the front, at the back? By putting something under the brack bridge you may be able to create enouh leverage to lift the fender from the back wheel.

Maybe it helps. If you find another solution or other well working fenders please post it.

Zabba

by Zabba

Here are some pictures for illustration:
Sorry for the XL-Pics. Is there a way in this forum to resize pictures?

604Yarks

by 604Yarks

Hmm, I don't think that is going to work on mine without being really finicky. Neat suggestion though!

Anyone tried the SKS quick release fenders?
2013 CAAD 10 105

Antoine

by Antoine

yes, SKS raceblade long are quite good :

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=67421&p=1044948&hilit=sks+raceblade+long#p1044899

Not perfect (bike still gets dirty) but light and easy to remove when you don't need it.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

604Yarks wrote:I'm in the process of returning a set of Crud Roadracer mk2 fenders as they simply rub too much to even try on the road.
I'm running 105 brakes, and 25c tires, and there's just no way to get these on without them making full contact at the top of the rear.

Curious what other folks are using??

TIA

Just let it rub until the noise goes away. Rub the clearance.

but seriously i have this bike and the mk2 fenders. They take some time to get right absolutely, but once u dial them in, i doubt u will have problems.

hmai18

by hmai18

The Cruds are OK, but flimsy and prone to breakage.

Judging by your username, I'm assuming you're in the Vancouver area. Since the weather is shit from about October - March, just suck it up and invest in some real fenders. Get the SKS Raceblade Long if you want to take them off during the rare dry day. Otherwise, get the PDW Full Metals and leave them on until Spring.

FWIW, the Raceblade Longs have been discontinued. I know a lot of folks in my club who've had problems with the quick-release tabs on the fenders breaking after repeated usage, so I'm assuming SKS are making some sort of change to the design. I've just received my second warranty fender blade form SKS for breakage and will be selling my set as soon as I can pick up my PDWs.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

You did even install the cruds properly mate. No wonder why they are rubbing

604Yarks

by 604Yarks

I should clarify, they're not so much "rubbing" as stopping the wheel from turning completely.
I'll post a photo later to show just how little clearance there is.
In retrospect, it would have to be paper thin to clear with my 25c's on, so not sure why I even bothered.

Installed exactly as per instructions (and I looked at some online photos as references as well).
The fronts worked OK, but the rear is just pressing (not just touching, but actually pressing) on the top of the tire under the brake caliper area no matter what.

Yep hmai18 I'm in Van.
I actually do without any fenders in the rain just fine, but that's typically riding solo.
I don't want to be "that guy" when in groups rides soaking the poor chap behind, which is why I started looking for some fenders. I'll checkout the PDW's, but might just have to go for a rear that doesn't give full coverage I guess.
2013 CAAD 10 105

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

correct me if im wrong in seeing what im seeing, but where in the instructions does it say to ziptie the fender at that location and to your panniers?

hmai18

by hmai18

604Yarks: I don't know if you're going to have an easy time finding full-coverage fenders that clear at 25c tire on a road frame.

You can probably get some half-fenders like the SKS Raceblade or the http://www.mec.ca/product/5009-474/planet-bike-speedez-road-fenders-35mm/?q=planet%2Bbike%2Bspeedez ones from MEC and then zip tie the extended nose piece of the Crud rear fender to give you complete rear coverage. If you're riding in a group, your mates would probably appreciate the courtesy of also chopping a bottle in half and using it as a rear extension.

NoInterVention

by NoInterVention

I used the SKS Raceblade Long on my CAAD10 for a couple seasons, but had issues with the brake-mounted clip. In regards to fit with a 25mm tire, I mounted the clip above my brakes (Planet X brakes) instead of below, where it didn't have enough clearance. It bends the fender a bit far away from the tire at the top, which probably contributed to the clip eventually breaking off, but it was that or constant rub on 25mm tires. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of how it was mounted.

I've just recently put on a set of SKS XL which seem sufficient. They're available at MEC (http://www.mec.ca/product/5037-666/sks- ... q=sks%2Bxl) but they actually have smaller mud flaps than what's shown in the pictures. I just transfered the Raceblade Long mudflaps which are longer, but otherwise you'd probably want to go with an extra bottle or two at the bottom.

Slagter

by Slagter

Forget all about lightweight when considering fenders. Either you want to be protected from water and dirt or you don't. And if you're doing group rides on rainy days, its especially important, not to be "that guy" who sprays all the teammates behind you.

I don't know the weather conditions in Vancouver, but if its just a little bit like northern Europe, regular fenders aren't even enough. You have to mount extra long ones or build extra long ones yourself.

It makes no sense to want WW fenders, since fenders are very anti-aero, which again makes you ride slower. But hey, it's just good training.

On my team you're simply not allowed to join the training, if you don't have prolonged fenders.

by 11.4

We go through this every year. The key for your own comfort is on the front, the key to riding with others is on the rear. For both, you don't need long fenders but you do need long flaps at the ends of them. Buddyflaps are the best I've ever found because they don't twist in the wind and you can get long ones that almost brush the ground, which is perfect. The wheel is still throwing some moisture as it goes under the brake bridge, but most of the water is gone. On the front, a little gets thrown up as the tire goes under the fork crown, but again, most is already gone. What you have to deal with at that point isn't worse than what you're getting from cars passing you or just from the air, and you are being responsible to your team mates. And your team mates will be throwing up much more at you when you're on their wheel, as they probably aren't as considerate as you.

Definitely, though, go for the XL SKS's. The width really helps keep the spray down, especially as we're all riding bigger tires these days. I've tried the PDW's and they are pretty in the hand but don't mount well on a number of bikes. And if you want to ride a 23 mm tire you can fit more fender than you can if you want to ride a 28 mm. I'll go for the bigger tire in the rain and have the fenders not protect forward of the rear brake bridge or the fork crown.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com