Sram Rival 22 vs Ultegra 6800

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hasbeen

by hasbeen

If youre going to base your decision on broken shifters then you will probably not want Shimano or sram. Of the two I would go Sram. At least they can be rebuilt and Sram takes care of most warranty issues. Two things I cant say about Shimano!
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stormur

by stormur

Guerdi wrote:
stormur wrote:[...]

I won't mention that 6800 is annoyingly noisy, and chain lifespan is ….1000km max. My 5700 was more quiet, Sram is more quiet, Campy in comparison to 6800 is noisless…

As nicely put in your signature, you are wrong here. You've simply forgotten to add one aditionnal 0 there. 1000 km would be 2 weeks of training in a fairly busy schedule, I could not imagine I'd swapping my chain every 2 weeks or so.

Last year my CN-6800 lasted about 8000 km, with extra care obviously. And I've done a lot of dirt/gravel roads with it, it has seen a lot of mud too. So you might be doing something wrong with your drivetrain.

Mine after 1000 km was in unusable condition (over 1.25) . Changed for new one , after 500km showed .75…

And 6800 just installed was NOISY. And stayed that way to the end. Specially on small front ring.

I don't have to imagine anything, I take measurments :) Road only, good waether only.

Usual lifespan of Record 11 chain for me is over 10.000, Sram on CX is 4-5000 . 5700 after 2-3000 was almost like new.

Maybe you have way lower standard of chain condition : that what I call "replace time" is "brand new" for you ;) ?

I saw many times "happy owners" of terrible condition gear (trash was only place for it ), when they can "swear" that it's in "perfect working" state….
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

efeballi

by efeballi

^I have to say this is true. Even with meticulous care, my 6800 chain has lengthened over 1.3% in 4000 km and is now floating on the chainrings and messing up front shifts. Have to say I'm disappointed.
Maybe the asymmetric HG700 chain will solve this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SHUT UP LEGS
2015 Giant Propel Advanced
2015 Cannondale Supersix Evo
2013 KTM Strada mod. (totaled)
2011 Pinarello Dogma 60.1(loaner)
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

Politecnico di Milano Ingegneria Meccanica

luckypuncheur

by luckypuncheur

In case Force 22 is not superior to Red 22 (which I ride for quite some time now), Ultegra 6800 is the obvious choice.
Especially front shifting and brakes are way ahead of SRAM and even Campagnolo.
Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

I must be lucky. 5.5k miles on two alternating 6800 chains and no measurable stretch as yet. Conditions mixed, Irish summer not being the most reliable of seasons. I'm using Fenwicks Stealth lube which keeps everything slick and silent. The only issue I've had is with the joining pin, which I sacked for a kmc quick link after an unlucky contact in the bunch somehow nudged the pin loose. Then again, the odds of that happening ever again are pretty slim.

I may get a 5800 chain for winter training, but I'm in no hurry.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

@luckypuncheur,

Have you ridden and shifted with the Yaw front derailleur and sram red brakes yet?
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

hasbeen

by hasbeen

Amazing brakes are over rated.
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

luckypuncheur

by luckypuncheur

@Frankie

Yes, for many thousand miles. Definitely better than the old SRAM Red/Force FD, but for me simply not on par with Shimano 6800/9000. Shimano really upped the front shifting game with these groups imho.

The Red brakes are really good (in fact always have been), but again the Ultegras are a notch better. Although the difference might not be as noticeable as with the front shifting.

Btw: I ran SRAM Red on most of my bikes for the past 5 years and was a big supporter, but after buying a new winterbike last year that came equipped with Ultegra 6800, I doubt that my next group will be from SRAM.
Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.

weenie

by weenie

ive sram red 22 w/ hydro brakes and i wouldn't go with anything shimano unless its di2.
shift is perfect - crisp, never fails (its been 2 years), no chain drops, nothing. the cable pull is perfect. I did have the 6800 fail from time to time and require re-tension, etc.

the brakes are good too. i cant see a diff between the sram and the shimano brakes. any difference that could be felt would be due to setup, wheels, pads, etc.

the only groupset i tried that was a little better was the di2.. so yeah.. id go di2 over red22 if anything..

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

stormur wrote:But shifting… no . Big NO.

If someone want to argue , lets start from FD - how much and why so much cable pull it needs to shift ( and why it's so close to lever limit ), and why "pull range" is so tiny that it MUST rub or on highest or on lowest cog ;) - doesn't matter the frame ( made it on few, incl "shimano friendly" )

In time need to setup one 6800 shifting I can do it for 1x Chorus and two Sram drivetrains…

For the money ( 500-600€ ) it's very good drivetrain, but without value for money - has no chance in comparison to f.e. Chorus. At any category ( brakes, shifing F &R , weight , ergonomy , service / adjustment needs ) .

I won't mention that 6800 is annoyingly noisy, and chain lifespan is ….1000km max. My 5700 was more quiet, Sram is more quiet, Campy in comparison to 6800 is noisless…

Funny, my bike last year had 6800 and rear shifting was excellent. Front shifting was an effort (as was tuning the FD) but I put that down to using Q-Rings.

I then switched the Q-Rings crank (my Rotor P2M) on to my bike with a Chorus FD and shifting was terrific. Same for when using it with SRAM Yaw FD.

New team bike this year, same sort of issues with the FD tuning as well as the RD shifting not being anywhere near as good as last year's. Noisy and just plain disappointing.

Improving the cable job that it initially came with has helped, however still not as great as last years 6800 and nowhere near 9000.

So until this year, I would have been all for 6800. Now, not so sure. I do however get much more than 1000km from the Ultegra chain (and have found a Dura Ace chain is a little quieter). I think your point about value for money, but still not the truest comparison, is about right.

Raineman

by Raineman

I find 6800 fd doesn't like my osymetrics either. I think the 3500 sora on my winter bike does a better job of it.

Rear shifting and round rings, 6800 is difficult to beat.

jorisee01

by jorisee01

Raineman wrote:I find 6800 fd doesn't like my osymetrics either. I think the 3500 sora on my winter bike does a better job of it.

Rear shifting and round rings, 6800 is difficult to beat.

I had the same experience with osymetrics and the 6800 FD. I switched to 6870 and all is fine now. Auto trimming is the bomb.

Dez33

by Dez33

stormur wrote:I won't mention that 6800 is annoyingly noisy, and chain lifespan is ….1000km max. My 5700 was more quiet, Sram is more quiet, Campy in comparison to 6800 is noisless…

Change out the jockey wheels to Dura-Ace, fixes the problem for about $50.

mgoles

by mgoles

Ultegra all they way... Im shimano fan boy... I leave campy for cycling romantics and sram for inovators... ;)

stormur

by stormur

I changed my mind ... Ultegra is best ever made groupset. Better than Red and Record.

Ridiculous ? But that's most of you opinion :shock:

Funny is, you ( not all ) have to live with 6800, I don't :) :) :)
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com