New rider, rehabbing my first road bike, advice welcome....

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

madsedan

by madsedan

5 year mtb rider, new to road bikes. I have a 2012 Volagi Liscio Ultegra, currently running a cheap sram chain and sunrace Rx rear der. I just took it in for a trade as my first mountain bike last weekend and I'm updating/upgrading some components. I am a big guy, around 230# carrying my winter beer weight, but will shed that down as I hit the road.

-Currently it has the 1,600 gr Volagi E7 Ignite EL wheelset, around 1,650 gr, nice quality. But its running a pretty heavy tire, Continental Ultrasport X2 28c (350gr with a 110gr tube). I am going to go down to a 25 I think with a much lighter tire, open to recommendations, and a light tube option. This will only see road use in north central Texas, little to NO rain riding, and the roads are pretty nice around here so I don't need anything too heavy for durability or wet traction. The wheels are tubeless compatible and I always ran my mtb tires tubeless so I'm open to that option as well. Using a 200-220 gram tire and 50-55 gr tube could realize a 400+ gr weight loss.

-Currently siting with an old set of BB7 roads and Lyra rotors. I'm planning on replacing them with new TRP Spyre SLC and Ashima Ai2 rotors, should save somewhere in the area of 150-180 gr.

-Currently has a 31.8 x 44cm Kona aluminum bar and 100mm FSA wilier carbon stem on it, from what I kind find its likely a 325+ gr bar, a 155 gr stem, with standard bar tape. Looking to replace with a reasonably priced new/used 225-250 gram 42cm bar, kalloy uno stem with lightweight bar tape. Should see a minimum 150 gr loss.

-Currently it has a 3 year old 105 cassette, 11-28 I believe, planning on replacing with an xg-1080, should save about 90 gr and improve shifting a bit when pairing it with a new sram 1090r chain.

-Currently has a 3 year old Sunrace Driven Rx rear der, considering options but its about 200 gr and seems to work fine.

Just with those items 800 gr or so weight loss and an improved ride, for reasonable money out of pocket. Is there anything else I'm not thinking about for quick/easy/cheaper stuff?

madsedan

by madsedan

Leaning strongly towards Schwalbe Ultremo ZX in a 25, any recommendations on a tube to pair with that? Vredestein Latex possibly?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

Conti and Michelin both make good tubes. I normally use regular weight Specialized (or Performance) tubes for normal riding and the more expensive Michelin tubes for racing.

Conti GP4000S tires are probably the best bet for high performance tires- they have good handling, low RR and last about twice as long as the Michelin race tires.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I'm running Michelin PR4's in 25mm and very happy. Weight is about 220g. As far as tubes go, I tried the very light 50g ones and was getting a high flat count. About 75g for a tube seems about right. That's saving you about 160g per wheel.

But at 230# you know what you need to do..............
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

madsedan

by madsedan

bikerjulio wrote:But at 230# you know what you need to do..............

Yeah, yeah lol