How to remove Di2 battery holder?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

drmutley

by drmutley

Are they permanent or is there a trick to get them out? I wanted to swap posts from my stock FSA to a 3T, but forgot to purchase another holder... Can I remove the FSA one? Any tricks? Or once they in there they don't come out?

Cheers

by 11.4

This is a seat post battery? If so, it should just pull out of the seat post. The best holder I know is the Ritchey one. It's about $8 and comes in two sizes, one for posts running around 27.2 and another for bigger ones around 31.6. It keeps the battery inside the post, weighs nothing, and works really well.

If your question is about what happens when you remove the seat post, when you pull it out you'll see the battery sticking out from the post and an eTube wire running from the battery down into the seat tube. That's all. No need to disconnect it. Just get the battery out and insert it into the new post. Some people use bubble wrap or other similar kinds of sheeting to roll the battery up in so it stays put in the post.

Sometimes the battery still falls out and just drops into the seat tube. You'll know this by the rattling in most cases. If not, and you find it this way, just tip it out and proceed with the Ritchey adapter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

If we are discussing a newer FSA post with the alloy battery holder insert, then the holder itself is bonded/glued to the inside of the post, but the battery is secured with a c-clip which can easily be removed with circlip pliers.

If asking about the soft rubber/molded 'clam-shell' type holders pictured above that are placed on each side of the batter then the battery is pressed into the seatpost, I too am curious how to remove them for reuse.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

drmutley

by drmutley

ms6073 wrote:Image

If we are discussing a newer FSA post with the alloy battery holder insert, then the holder itself is bonded/glued to the inside of the post, but the battery is secured with a c-clip which can easily be removed with circlip pliers.

If asking about the soft rubber/molded 'clam-shell' type holders pictured above that are placed on each side of the batter then the battery is pressed into the seatpost, I too am curious how to remove them for reuse.

Thanks ms... Yeah it's alloy, and I assumed it must of been bonded into the post as it won't budge... It's on a new Cervelo R5... I hate the post as its under spec in size, and at the specced torque (6nm) and carbon paste it still slips into the frame... Hence the chance to the 3T...

rma

by rma

I have a 3T seatpost and a 3T battery holder. It fits really nice and tight, but I don't think I would be able to remove the holder if I wanted to... It has some metal fins that must make it really difficult to remove.

merkyworks

by merkyworks

drmutley wrote:

[/quote]

I just found a bar plug end that has the finned pattern like the Ritchey holder above, the battery fits inside the plug and then I drilled a hole so the wire/plug end can fit through. Works great and holds the battery very well in my ENVY seatpost.

by 11.4

ms6073 wrote:Image

Assuming that it didn't get pushed in all the way, just pull it out. If it did get pushed in all the way, the Di2 wire may well hold well enough so you can use it to pull the battery out gently. If that doesn't work, slide a spoke (the hub end) up next to the battery and then turn it so the head of the spoke catches the battery and pulls it out.

ms6073

by ms6073

Thanks. The spoke idea sounds about right as the Di2 e-tube wire does not have enough gripping force to pull out the battery.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com