Di2 cabling / install tips

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

harksmeadow

by harksmeadow

Hi

Building up a new dogma frame with 111 speed Di2 and looking for some tips re cabling, especially around getting the handlebar area nice and neat. Using 350mm cables from the shifters so short, but not happy with the way its potentially going look after wrapping.

Using the internal battery.

Any other tips to for install that you'd wish you'd known before hand?

cheers

flogger7

by flogger7

Wire one shifter into the other staying inside the bars when you go past the stem. That aluminates one wire out front.I don't know the dogma frame well enough but you can also consider moving the junction a to a different location such as under the saddle or even inside the frame. There are some implications of hiding it inside the frame that need to be dealt with but if you were looking for the clean as possible look that's the way to go. It's what I did on my felt AR. I also included a wireless transmitter, a Garmin head unit to see battery charge, and a custom soldered BTR2 onto an etube connector in order to charge

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

flogger7

by flogger7

ImagePic

NoInterVention

by NoInterVention

Super clean front end. Mind taking a few close up pictures of how you're running the wires and the custom bits?

flogger7

by flogger7

sprint buttons each wire through to their nearby shifter on the dedicated sprint shift port

right shifter wires through to left shifter without exiting (except up by the shifter under the bar tape)

you can see the wire that comes from the left shifter exit the rear of the aeronova's in the pic below, and run almost invisible alongside the rear brake cable housing and into the frame through through the top-tube. originally the brake had a giant quick release; i replaced that with an inline barrel adjuster where it exits down near bottom bracket; I don't have a pic of that handy at the moment.

the brake housings are jagwire link for those interested

back to the di2, when that wire coming from the left shifter goes into the frame, the A junction is just below the entrance point. I was able to get the access to put it there by dropping the fork out. I also installed a di2 wireless transmitter a little bit lower inside the same general area; wired in to the A junction. Also accessible when the fork is removed. The A junction has a 3rd wire in it, which goes down to a B-junction located inside the frame near the bottom bracket; the B junction of course has the wires to the internal battery, FD and RD

after doing a lot of reading and finding out that the charging port on the A junction is just an interface to the same overall network that the e-tube wires plug in to. Seems that most think that shimano created a separate port for the charger to have an easier connection/removal mechanism than presented by the regular e-tube connections....but anyway because of this you can hack a wire that allows the BCR2 to plug in via a standard e-tube wire.

I found specific instructions here: http://carltonbale.com/shimano-di2-ever ... d-to-know/

Hacking the SM-BCR2 to have a standard Di2 cable connector: If your 3-port or 5-port junction is inaccessible for charging, there is an alternative hack method to connect it to the system through a standard Di2 port. With basic soldering skills you can hack the BCR2 to be used with any setup. Buy any length EW-SD50 wire, cut off one end. Cut the wire on the output side of the BCR2. Splice the two wires together, so that the output wire of the BCR2 is now a standard Di2 connector. The charger has an inner (white) and outer (shield) wire; connect the inner white wire to the SD50 red wire; connect the charger outer shield wire to the SD50 black wire. You will then be able to plug the BCR2 into any Di2 port . Or use a SM-JC40 junction B and another length of EW-SD50 wire and go through the RD (by using the SM-JC40 to connect the rear derailleur, new output wire of the EW-SD50 , and the wire that ordinarily connect the rest of the system to the rear derailleur.) Thanks to @Di2diy for the info.

flogger7

by flogger7

and since I'm sure on this board someone will notice, yes I switched from the stock aerotundo's to aeronova bars....so that changes between the before and after shot as well. i hated the aerotundo....too deep and too far out; and i banged my forearms right on the sharp edge of the aerofoil top any time I went into the drops. the aeronova ltd size 40 came in under 200g and fits and feels perfect shape for me

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com