Cannondale Slice RS question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Hi I just bought a Cannondale slice RS, and have yet to receive it. Just wondering from owners, is it possible to fit an internal battery into the seatpost/frame?

Will ilinks fit through the headcap into the steerer tube for brake routing?

Can you show me how those of you that have tidied up your front ends have done it?

ANyone know rim/tyre clearance.

Cheers
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Not in the seatpost as the RS uses a knife profile seatpost. Also unless they changed the way they wired up Di2 there will be a mess of wiring at the stem. I actually had to send pictures of an RS in my shop to Cannondale techs so they could figure out how to clean up their mess of wires. Cannondale can likely send you the images I sent them. Tire clearance in the frame won't be near the issue as getting larger tires through the brake set. It is a very tight fit. I am not sure about iLinks as there are a couple of hard curves coming from the bottom of the steerer into the brake sets, they supply their own version of a brake cable noodle to get everything to fit, there is not a lot of room inside the steerer tube.

shinkansen

by shinkansen

Hi. Curious if you got your Slice RS and installed Di2 yet? I'm about to do the same so may run into the same headaches! Thx.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Yes all installed. Don't think there is anywhere that will take an internal battery. I have the battery under the BB. I have 6870/9070 mix. I am running pro missiles and have all the junction boxes in the extensions of the bars, so there is only one cable leaving the bar/extension setup and entering the frame. The B junction is also in the extensions and I dremeled a window out of the side of an extension so I can see battery level and access the button. I will post photos of my build soon. Its not an easy bike to build.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Grill

by Grill

Could you not shove the battery in the downtube? That's what I did with my Plasma 3...

thencameyou

by thencameyou

Grill wrote:Could you not shove the battery in the downtube? That's what I did with my Plasma 3...

Anyone know the answer to this - bought the frame, have an internal battery - if I can avoid buying an external battery as well I'll be stoked.

bllx

by bllx

thencameyou wrote:
Grill wrote:Could you not shove the battery in the downtube? That's what I did with my Plasma 3...

Anyone know the answer to this - bought the frame, have an internal battery - if I can avoid buying an external battery as well I'll be stoked.

Maybe if you strip the battery of the casing it could be possible to fit the cells and connection part through the hole for the cable guide in the bottom bracket, and through the hole into the downtube. The openings are however not very large...

Grill

by Grill

What about through the head tube with fork removed? That's how I did it.

thencameyou

by thencameyou

I will report back once the frame arrives. I wonder if the front end of the frame is filled in behind the external steerer - anyone who owns one care to comment?

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I think the headtube may be your best chance, but you'll have to pop out the headset.

I have a slice RS and it won't fit in the seat tube or go through the BB - even with bearings removed but I am yet to try removing an outer casing and installing it that way. Let me know if you have success. They are a great riding frame.
Only other bit of input is if you find you need to go longer at the front you can get longer bolts and run all the spacers together even though they say 40mm is the biggest extension that is safe I am running 60mm for ages now with extra long bolts and it is completely safe.

p3eriksson

by p3eriksson

It's hard to get the internal battery to fit anywhere in the Slice RS. But I've managed to do a DIY solution with the battery in the TT extensions, works really well.

Actually had an even harder time getting the Di2 junction box to fit somewhere it was out of the way but accessable to charge battery. Started with trimming the casing enough so that I could get it inside the TT extensions, but I got all the way down to the circuit board, and in the process managed to destroy the junction box. On the second try I stuck it beneath the saddle which was a great solution. Drilled a hole for the cable to go through the seat post.

thencameyou

by thencameyou

Great info as usual - thanks!

bllx

by bllx

I also have the battery in one of the extension. In the same extension I have a 4-port junction, connecting the shifter and battery. This junction is connected to a ew90 junction located between the extensions, right behind where I hold my hands. Another 4-port junction connects the ew90 to the other shifter and the single cable going into the frame.

Of course this limits what kind of extensions you can use, as they need to have a long enough straight section for the battery. Also, extensions have thicker walls, making it a tight fit. I have had success with Zipp carbon race and Zipp aluminum evo 70 and 110.

Going through the headset might work, but I'm not comfortable in the idea of needing to remove and reinstalling the bearings if/when something goes bad.

I would like to try the new bar-end junction in one of the extensions, but of what I have heard the outer diameter of that junction is larger than the inner diameter of typical extensions.

bllx

by bllx

p3eriksson wrote:On the second try I stuck it beneath the saddle which was a great solution. Drilled a hole for the cable to go through the seat post.

Can you give more details about the drilling and the routing down the seat tube?

p3eriksson

by p3eriksson

bllx wrote:
p3eriksson wrote:On the second try I stuck it beneath the saddle which was a great solution. Drilled a hole for the cable to go through the seat post.

Can you give more details about the drilling and the routing down the seat tube?

I drilled from the top down through the seat post head, only a small hole big enough for the cable, then cut and spliced the cable. I think the best way to show is with pictures.
Attachments
IMG_2938.JPG
IMG_2936.JPG
FullSizeRender.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com