Sram Red Quarq 2012 compatible with Shimano 11 S ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LouisN

by LouisN

I'm shure it's probably been discussed somewhere in here, but can't find it :oops: ...

Is there a difference in chainrings distance between the older 2012 version (10S), and the "new" Red 22 (11S) version ? Is the spider width or shape different in that matter ?
Or is it just the width and the shape of the chainrings teeth that make the compatibility difference ?

I'm thinking of switching from Red 10 S to Shimano 11 speed, but would like to keep the Quark, only changing the rings.

Thanks for the help guys :beerchug:

Louis :)

Rick

by Rick

Sort answer: there is a difference, but they are compatible. The 11s is actually spaced a little WIDER than 10s.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Keep the old chainrings......I dare you to tell the difference. They will shift just fine. In fact, I have never seen a technical document or actual measurement that shows the difference in spacing etc. The inner width of the chain is exactly the same between 10 and 11. If there is a spacing difference between rings, the di2 FD will accommodate. And the stuff about the difference in spacing causing a potential for the chain to get stuck between rings is a total myth. I've run both combos for years without issue and with excellent shifting. The only issue is that SRAM rings are not the best shifting rings out there. Praxis are better, Shimano are the best. Other than that, you will be fine.

Here's a discussion on this:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=106688

LouisN

by LouisN

:thumbup: Thanks for the help !!!

Louis :)