Crossing vs interlacing

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

stormur

by stormur

To experienced builders : if hub has so narrow flanges that crossed spokes are bent at crossing, would you go this way, or just interlace , like f.e. fulcrum does ?
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

I'm not sure what you mean by "narrow flange". The bend on the spoke will usually be greater if the flange diameter is small. I don't think it's a problem, but I would manually bend the spokes at the J and cross before stress relieving.

I usually radial lace the front unless it isn't advised by the manufacturer.
formerly rruff...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zoro

by Zoro

You may have too may crosses. there was a time when a 36 hole 4X wheel was normal. As the holes went down, so should the crosses. The interface (toughing) point should be roughly 1/3 - 1/2 the distance from the hub to the rim. Personally I like the spoke interlaced/touching and used to tie and solder them, but I have some very good wheels where they don't touch.
The cross I like has the pulling spoke and pushing angle about 160-170 apart. Some hubs (Extralight, Dash) enforce this.
There are so many good wheels now with so many options. The reason is that the rims are so good. The building is not as sensitive as it once was with light alloy rims.