Interest in custom ISP topper for Giant Propel Advanced sl?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Carrots

by Carrots

xntrickly wrote:

Yes I am actually working with a local machinist who is about to get me his efforts... I do know that he has got the topper at least 30 grams lighter. My personal bike will now be under 15 pounds even with the 1700 grams wheels that are on it. I will post here as soon as I have something more definite and I'll be sure to put pictures up.

Thanks.

Sweet. Be interesting to find out if they're easily able to extend the length of it to provide the extra spacers.

xntrickly

by xntrickly

[quote="Carrots"][quote="xntrickly"]

Yes I am actually working with a local machinist who is about to get me his efforts... I do know that he has got the topper at least 30 grams lighter. My personal bike will now be under 15 pounds even with the 1700 grams wheels that are on it. I will post here as soon as I have something more definite and I'll be sure to put pictures up.

Thanks.[/quote]

Sweet. Be interesting to find out if they're easily able to extend the length of it to provide the extra spacers.[/quote]

I should be working on a posting tonight outlining the newly modified topper. The fellow who did this for me even made a custom aluminum upper clamp. However I want to say that the original OEM collar is original and not taller. How many spacers are you wanting to place underneath the topper because it already accommodates 20 mm or so no?

Cheers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mimason

by mimason

Carrots wrote:Bit of an old thread dig up...

Did anything end up coming of this?

Change in saddle type, plus adding some extra seat post height and I'm in a world of trouble with the standard ISP so looking to see if anyone has created a longer version of the Propel ISP topper (to enable more spacers).

My '09 and '11 TCR SL originally came with two toppers: one short and one tall. Are you at the limits of the taller topper or perhaps a different model only comes with one version?

xntrickly

by xntrickly

mimason wrote:
Carrots wrote:Bit of an old thread dig up...

Did anything end up coming of this?

Change in saddle type, plus adding some extra seat post height and I'm in a world of trouble with the standard ISP so looking to see if anyone has created a longer version of the Propel ISP topper (to enable more spacers).

My '09 and '11 TCR SL originally came with two toppers: one short and one tall. Are you at the limits of the taller topper or perhaps a different model only comes with one version?

Propel toppers are different from TCRs given that the ISP is shaped differently. The OEM topper weighed 162 grams when the parts were weighed. The modifications include centering the lower cradle which also necessitated using a different lower clamp and I chose to use a Thompson. Centering the lower clamp meant fabricating a new upper clamp. Bottom line is that 25 grams have been removed. Trimming the very long bolts as well as refining the upper clamp a bit would likely remove another 5 grams. Interested in thoughts and yes the person who did this for me http://kalcomachine.com/ would be interested in doing this for others at a price to be determined... Thoughts?

[url]Image[/url]
My really fast midget Giant Propel Advanced SL viewtopic.php?f=10&t=132773&hilit=advanced+sl+propel

Dman

by Dman

Try Fetha Custom Components (Australia). He's made various ISP's before for me. They can be drilled for weight and anodized to suit

Carrots

by Carrots

Dman wrote:Try Fetha Custom Components (Australia). He's made various ISP's before for me. They can be drilled for weight and anodized to suit

I was only just talking to Jamie about this other day - at this stage he hasn't made any and looking at around $500 for one. Apparently because of the shape of the ISP it requires a special tool which adds to the cost.

BRM

by BRM

You are out for reduction on a modded product by bulk.
Why talk to one party only?
You asked peoples interest 13 MONTHS AGO. LOL
Sorry but the way this is organised doesn't make any sense. (Besides the delay caused by your awful accident)

Your local craftsman seems way to expensive, look in other direction if you want some success and lowering costs.
IMO. If you want success you need to start with a plan and work according a plan.

xntrickly

by xntrickly

[quote="BRM"]You are out for reduction on a modded product by bulk.
Why talk to one party only?
You asked peoples interest [b]13 MONTHS AGO[/b]. LOL
Sorry but the way this is organised doesn't make any sense. (Besides the delay caused by your awful accident)

Your local craftsman seems way to expensive, look in other direction if you want some success and lowering costs.
IMO. If you want success you need to start with a plan and work according a plan.[/quote]

Actually I began this project with someone else who fabricates carbon fiber but that did not pan out. I contacted the local craftsman because I ride bikes with him and he has only played with this topper a little, made me a custom upper cradle and charged me NOTHING. Finally, none of this was organized as a weightweenies project but when I asked about interest it was so that I could see if there was sufficient interest to pursue a group buy.

Had I seen others projects especially those that mounted the cradles on top of the seatmast, I would have left my seatmast longer and simply planted cradles on top of that !! For me, 25 grams is 25 grams and now my Propel Advanced sl is under 15 pounds with a 1700 gram wheelset.

I have no idea what my friend would charge for the modifications but I do know he and his company are interested in making money and they might just start producing various products?

Regards.
My really fast midget Giant Propel Advanced SL viewtopic.php?f=10&t=132773&hilit=advanced+sl+propel

xntrickly

by xntrickly

Painted but bear in mind this is now in the center of the topper so it is set up for folks who desire less setback...

[url]Image[/url]

[url]Image[/url]

[url]Image[/url]

[url]Image[/url]

Let me know if you're interested in getting a price or if you have suggestions on how to improve this then speak up...

Carrots

by Carrots

Out of curiosity can you do a side by side with a standard topper?

Any chance your mate can make one that's got a longer body to it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xntrickly

by xntrickly

[quote="Carrots"]Out of curiosity can you do a side by side with a standard topper?

Any chance your mate can make one that's got a longer body to it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

I can ask if he wants to try and fabricate a taller topper... what are you wanting to see with a side by side? I don't have a non-modified to take a picture of beside this one.

Cheers.

dricked

by dricked

I’m going to bump this thread up. I’ve been talking to someone at the local university where they manufacturer and repair carbon fibre. They repaired my propel frame and side quite a nice job. I enquired about having a lighter seat clamp made for my ISP and they figure they could get the weight down from 160g to 100g. I can have a one off made but obviously the costs would be less if there was some interest from others. I was given a price of ~$200 CAD if there was some intrest in more than one being made. If we can get a solid number the price may be even lower.

xntrickly

by xntrickly

Interested as well but I already got mine down to 135 just with removing some material and a few other tweaks... Include me though please and thanks.

shotgun

by shotgun

I'd be interseted as well for the 2018 TCR ISP.
2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dricked

by dricked

xntrickly wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:31 am
Interested as well but I already got mine down to 135 just with removing some material and a few other tweaks... Include me though please and thanks.
Ok perfect! I’ll give it a few days for more people to see this and then I’ll head in and drop him my clamp to let him build.
shotgun wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:28 am
I'd be interseted as well for the 2018 TCR ISP.
Unfortunately I don’t have a TCR ISP to give him the clamp to produce one for you.