Phil v. White BB

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

verbs4us

by verbs4us

Forgive me for splitting hairs but…what else is a forum for? For a new build, I’ve narrowed the choice of (threaded) bottom bracket/JIS square-taper to White Industries and Phil Wood. I’m a “Q weenie” and want the smallest Q I can get to avoid knee and hip problems associated with wider Q. The Phil comes in more spindle lengths than the White, and so might allow a more optimal Q tweak. I don’t know how they compare in weight, but I expect the Phil is from melted down Panzers and about as durable. Both come with an optional Ti spindle, and I’m not sure the weight savings is worth the price plus up. Any experience or advice here? I have used Phil Wood hubs for years and they just never die or need attention, so I am disposed in that direction but open to other suggestions. Thanks!

Razor

by Razor

I have Phil Ti BB on all of my bikes, they range from 4-10 years old and they all are still smooth. The one that is 4 years old, I have been putting on 6-10k a year on it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

verbs4us

by verbs4us

Razor wrote:I have Phil Ti BB on all of my bikes, they range from 4-10 years old and they all are still smooth. The one that is 4 years old, I have been putting on 6-10k a year on it.

Thanks Razor--I saw a thread about Phil BB's creaking, esp with Ti. Might have had to do with alloy cups in an aluminum frame, but just asking about your set-up and if you had this prob.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The cranks you use dictate the quality factor. The chain line is fixed so alter be length means chaining chain line. There fore the be chosen will not affect quality factor.