Focus Walser vs. Argon 18 e112

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

109er

by 109er

Im weighing these two bikes at the moment. The Focus is the Izalco Chrono 3 from a few years back and the Argon is just a frame. The Focus is built already and aside from swapping bearings out of the derailleur and bottom bracket, the brakes, aerobars, and saddle, theres not much else to do. The Argon would be built up with a Rival drivetrain and a Force crankset. Bearings replaced throughout. I have yet to decide on aerobars. I'm thinking Zipp Vuka Bull and the Alumina clip or a Vision setup similarly priced. I have brakes already to be swapped on either bike.

The dilemna is the Argon is much cheaper and would be here much faster. I'm training for elite nationals which is in June so time is of the essence. The Focus would have to be shipped from Budapest which would take quite a while. So, is having a faster bike worth more than having a bike already and a few more weeks of training on the other bike? How much slower would the Argon be, would you estimate? My position is spot on and would work great on either bike so thats not the issue, it's simply bike to bike. And possibly bikes as a whole. Aside from aerobars, both options are already solid.

Whats your opinion?

Thanks

-109er
green jacket, gold jacket...who gives a sh*t

ultyguy

by ultyguy

I would say Argon, however, I've heard that the e112 doesn't work with wide wheels (esp rear) so you may want to check that first.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Double post

109er

by 109er

The Argon looks almost as good(fast) as the Focus.

On that note, I'd have to forget about the Focus just because it will take up to a month before i would get it.

Add to the mix a Neil Pryde Bayamo. I've heeeeaard that these are every bit as fast as a P3. Whether or not thats true remains to be seen. That would make it a better bike than the Argon.

109er

by 109er

The Neil Pryde will most likely be the best choice at this point. Unless anyone can talk me out of it.

As far as an aerobar, the Uberhund bars look awesome. Very neat and tidy and the price is great. Adjustment doesn't look that great however. I prefer my arms almost touching or very narrow. Is that possible with these?

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

Do you need a super low stack bar like the Uberhund? If you need pad adjustability and low stack you're probably best to hunt out a Felt Bayonet (the original from a couple of years back).
Neil Prydes testing shows them to be a little slower at low yaw but better at high yaw compared to old P3.
image linked from NP site

I really don't think you need to be talked out of the Bayamo. Though I'd note that if it's a case where the higher stack of the Bayamo is limiting your aerobar options maybe hunting out an old P3 or a boardman would widen your choices for bar setup (which is a critical part of building a fast bike).

109er

by 109er

That would be part of the reason to go with the Uberhund. However the stack is not too far off from my last time trial bike. I spent a while confirming the fit on that bike through a few sessions on the GURU fit unit. The position aqcuired was not UCI legal however so it will change somewhat. If there was anything to be changed from that fit it was to come up in the front end a little. Maybe 2-5mm. So not much.

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

Do you have your fit specs? Pad XY in particular.
Uberhund not very good with providing dimensions but looks like they don't offer much pad setback which may or may not be a nuisance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com