Look 585 ultra Carbon weave

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dwest66

by Dwest66

Long time listener, first time caller. But not my first time on a carbon frame. I have an old trek 2300 hanging on my wall, my first (semi) Carbon frame, moved up to trek 5500, now have an orca, and have ogled many a carbon frame at races and rides. I have never seen a LOOK up close, in person but I have heard people raving about them for years. So I found a good deal on eBay, did copious amounts of research, and got one. And now the question:

Does a 2008 LOOK 585 ultra have a carbon weave or is it a compressed Carbon? Can someone else with the same year frame confirm please.

It looks like all the fibers are going along the length of the tube, it looks like silk. I wasn't expecting this. Don't get me wrong; it's beautiful and very light but I have never seen a carbon frame without some weave. The fork has a weave but the frame is smooth like I explained above. I'm just afraid that I got a Chinese replica, which would explain the good price. But since I've never seen a LOOK frame up close (I've seen them pass me on the road) I'm skeptical about the authenticity of the frame I bought.

Thanks you in advance for yalls help. And to everyone who contributes to this site. I have learned so much from reading the posts and reviews.

Dave

53x12

by 53x12

What year is your 585 Ultra? Can you provide a picture?

I know my 595 Ultra uses the Look "VHM" Very High Modulous carbon in its build and I believe the 585 Ultra did as well. The 595 Ultra also used unidirectional carbon fiber on its top layer for some of the years/colors. I would assume they did similar with the 585 Ultra. Easiest way is to post a picture.

Is this the frame year you have?

"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

OrPe

by OrPe

look ultra frames do not have a weave to them, just unidirectional carbon layers (no "cosmetic" layers).

should look "marbled" or, as you say, silk.

look here for an example (not 2008 model year, but the same carbon layout) - http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/new ... 700-80.jpg

Oren