IRD 11-34 cassette on campagnolo 10-speed?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Zak

by Zak

Hi,

IRD make a 11-34 cassette and 12-32 cassette for Campagnolo 10 speed.

Will they work with a Record 10S longcage derailleur? Or will the jockeywheel be to close to the cassette?

thanks

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Have used the IRD 32 and can't see why their 34 would not work. Doubt they would make these products if they would not work. If using a double, a medium or long cage RD would be okay.

These might be available in Europe from stock, try St John Street Cycles in the UK.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

This kind of question comes up frequently, and it's not just a question of asking about what RD will work.

There's 2 quite different issues:

1. Will the cage take up the total chain wrap required?

2. Will the upper pulley clear the big sprocket?

In talking about the second question, the cage length is irrelevant. The upper pulley is the same distance away regardless.

The issue that comes into play is the dropout and hanger dimension. And they are not the same between frames. So, a RD that is spaced further away because of a longer hanger may be more able to work with a large sprocket that is out of the manufacturers spec.

So, the question really becomes: "will my frame work with a 34T sprocket?".

And given that there is zero information, the correct answer is "maybe, try it and see".
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Zak

by Zak

Thanks for the answers.

About issue 2: The frame is a Cannonade Caad 9 with the hanger that came with it.

But I guess I just have to give it a go :beerchug:

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Having seen a 32t set up with my own eyes I can't imagine the 34 not working with pretty much any frame out there conforming to the well accepted idea of a contemporary road frame. Bikerjulio perhaps does not appreciate that RDs can work just fine even when their capacity is exceeded, and with your long cage the capacity won't be exceeded anyway assuming a double crankset, whether that be regular or compact.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ergott

by ergott

Valbrona wrote:Having seen a 32t set up with my own eyes I can't imagine the 34 not working with pretty much any frame out there conforming to the well accepted idea of a contemporary road frame. Bikerjulio perhaps does not appreciate that RDs can work just fine even when their capacity is exceeded, and with your long cage the capacity won't be exceeded anyway assuming a double crankset, whether that be regular or compact.

I used to have a Colnago C40. When I tried to put a 32 or 34 on the back for a hillclimb event, the pully would ride on the the cog. I think Bikerjulio knows what he's talking about here. Not all bikes are the same.