New Bike - What do I get?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JesseD

by JesseD

Looking at getting a new bike and a set of race wheels in the next couple of weeks and have narrowed the gap down to the following bikes, but am still open to suggestions with regards to wheels.

I am buying from one of 3 LBS's, mainly because I want the after sales service in case something goes wrong and living on an island off the mainland UK I think this will be worth its weight in gold, and also because they all will conduct a bike fit to ensure whatever I buy fits me (changing stems, bars, saddles etc).

Things I have decided on are:

* Aero Frame, I like the way these look and it’s not exactly hilly and I will be racing mainly crits and undulating road races with no real hills or mountains to speak of, just short sharp climbs.
* Price, my budget is £3500 for a complete bike and an additional set of wheels plus bits and bobs such as bottle cages, pump, floor pump etc.
* Colour (yes I know) I want something that looks good and I know this is a personal thing but some manufacturers just don’t have a clue.
*Group-set, as a minimum it must have Shimano Ultegra mechanical.
*Wheels, I want to have 1 set of training wheels and 1 set of Carbon race wheels, preferably clinchers (have ridden tubs and liked them but as I will also be using them to pose about on in the summer I want ease when fixing punctures), oh and minimum depth should be 60mm

Bikes I have shortlisted (but am open to suggestions) are:

Giant Propel Advance Pro 1 = £3050
Cervelo S3 = £2850
Felt AR3 = £2250

The Giant comes with 60mm carbon clinchers so would be an additional set of wheels as training wheels
The Cervelo comes with Mavic Cosmics, so I would then need to buy a set of additional carbon wheels
The Felt comes with Shimano wheels so I would then need to buy a set of additional carbon wheels

The LBS's that are selling the Cervelo and Felt are prepared to do a deal when spending this amount of money, the LBS who are selling the Giant will throw in a saddle bag and a floor pump!! :? So as you can imagine I am leaning towards the Cervelo or the Felt.

Other brands are available on the island, but the 2 LBS's which will do me a deal on whatever I decide on stock Trek, Merida, Scott, Kuota, Look, Focus, Bianchi, Boardman, Orbea, Argon 18, Wilier and that’s about it I think. If there is anything alse from these barnds I should consider then I am keen to hear your recommendations.

For carbon wheels I just need something stiff, that will handle my 90kgs without exploding, I want carbon, clinchers and around 60mm deep, looked at Fast Forward, Mavic and Rolf so far but not in too much detail.

Your thoughts please :D

Thanks all

JesseD

JesseD

by JesseD

Ha - Just had a call from the bike shop selling the Cervelo S3 and they cant get one until the end of March and they no longer do Look :evil:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jeffy

by jeffy

i love the looks of the new propel having seen one in the flesh. if the LBS is a test-ride centre it would be worth getting one it to ride.

i would perhaps consider the felt and get a pair of custom 60mm with 240 from wheelsmith.co.uk as you could get them built up with a stronger lacing pattern for your 90kg. Give wheel smith a call or email, he has been very patient before with me and enquires.

http://wheelsmith.co.uk/aero-60-clincher

the giant germany site specs the propel weight @ 7.45 and wiggle lists the AR3 @ 8.27 for what it is worth.

JesseD

by JesseD

This is the problem, living on a small island most of the bike shops dont hold a lot of stock so most bikes are to order and I would be very lucky to be able to test ride the actual model I would be buying.

The shop that sells Giant has the lower spec'd 105 version in but they are not keen to let me out on it as its the showroom model and the only Propel he has in the shop.

The Shop selling the Cervelo S3 doesnt have one in stock and they have spoken to the distributor and they wont be getting any till the March.

The shop selling the Felt AR3 has an AR4 in stock and is happy to let me ride it and I will but again its not the spec I would be going for.

Those wheels do look nice, but the advantage of aftersales support when buying from an LBS means a lot to me, thats said i will definately do some research before buying.

grover

by grover

How much does a return flight to the mainland cost? Go for the weekend and visit some bigger shops that will let you test ride some bikes.