2012 Trek 1.2 Alpha v Non-Alpha

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

souravdeyone

by souravdeyone

Hi all!

Im actually on the verge of purchasing a 2012 Trek 1.2 Alpha (matte black paintjob) from our local classifieds. I've talked to the seller, and everything looks good. One thing I noticed was that this bike is not actually listed in Trek's web archive. The only ones listed is the Trek 1.2 (red/white paintjob).

Also I'm a little worried about the sizing of the bike. I was actually using a 2007 Trek 1000 WSD before this with a 130mm stem, and it was awful. Always felt awkward on the bike. I'm getting a 54cm one now, how do I tell if its too big? I'm 5'8 (174cm) if that helps. My inseam is about 30.5 inches (78cm)

This bike does exist, but I haven't been able to get much information on it. Can anyone help me answer the following questions?
1. Is this bike exactly the same as the 2012 Trek 1.2 (red/white) in terms of weight/geometry/sizing?
2. Will the matte black paintjob get ruined faster?
3. On paper at least, does it look like it will fit, or should i look for a 52cm?

You help is truly appreciated :)

Btw: I think it'll be best if i can share pictures, especially that of the 2 bikes I'm having confusion with. How do i go about that without getting banned?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

I can't help you with your quest, but I an tell you that i have the feeling that this question is better asked on Bikeforums.net. I don't want to scare you away or alienate you, but lots of the interest here lies in the higher end of the spectrum.

Good luck!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

kdawg

by kdawg

^he's right.

But saying as we're all here. This is probably the bike - http://www.larkfieldcycles.co.uk/bikes/ ... black.aspx Not sure why it isn't in the Trek catalogue or why it's called 1.2c (compact).

1. Don't know. Probably - the geometry tends to be the same across Trek's range in the lower models.

2. It's slightly harder to keep clean but I doubt this is a true matt finish - it's probably just not shiny paint.

3. Sounds about right but can't be anymore definite than thst. I'm 6'1" and ride a 58 Trek.
I'm left handed, if that matters.