Single chainring on road bike (with Dura-Ace 9000)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

portiabaines

by portiabaines

Hi,

Sorry if this has been discussed before.

Just wondering whether it's possible to convert a road bike which has a Dura-Ace 9000 chainset to have just one chainring? Really wanting to set the bike up to have no front mech so in an ideal world I'm guessing the chainring would have to be like the drop stop ones I've got on my XTR based 1x11 mountain bike. I never use the front mech whilst racing so I'm just carrying around extra weight and more things to go wrong

If a new chainring for the Dura-Ace 9000 chainset isn't available, is there another make of chainset available off the shelf with a single ring or one which could be easily converted? My bottom brack is a Dura-Ace BB92-41B which takes standard 24mm Shimano cranks
Regards

Portia Baines

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

plag

by plag

You can search for 1x10 and would come up with more results.

I was thinking this awhile back just haven't done it.

I don't race so I don't need the big gear I was gonna stick a race face narrow wide up front maybe 42t 130bcd.

I have a 12-27 in back but might try and go bigger like 11-32 but may need a new rear derailleur.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marin

by Marin

If oval is ok for you, Doval might be one of the few options you have for 9000

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DOVAL-Chainring ... 1477134860

kingkongsfinger

by kingkongsfinger

My set up is 1 X 11 with 105 (compact chainset for the 110BCD) works well, 40 tooth on the front. This is only for training as in a RR you would get binned unless you have a 53.

"I could have done this job myself in five minutes, but as things turned out I had to spend two days trying to find out why it had taken someone else three weeks to do it wrong."

plag

by plag

How big is you cassette?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kingkongsfinger

by kingkongsfinger

28-11
"I could have done this job myself in five minutes, but as things turned out I had to spend two days trying to find out why it had taken someone else three weeks to do it wrong."

VTBike

by VTBike

I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be very easily possible. Just take the inner chainring and derailleur off! Unlike C/X or mtn, your not going to be jumping, flying over bumps, or in thick mud - so chain slap, and all other reasons for your chain to derail are non-existent. I mean, has your chain ever dropped off the big ring in the front while road riding when you weren't shifting the front derailleur? My guess is no.

So, just decide on how many teeth you want to have in a single ring setup, and put that chainring on your crank. No biggie. If your saying that you never shift your front derailleur during a race currently, sounds like you're all set with the ring you need. My commuter bike runs a 1x10 setup, having just removed the front derailleur and inner chainring.. never had an issue.

Am i missing something here?

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

not necessarily the case VTBike. I've seen people with a single, regular tooth ring on the front riding some of the smoothest roads possible and still drop the chain.

If you were going to use a normal tooth profile ring, I would at least get some sort of small chain catcher like this one from Origin-8, for example.

http://www.jensonusa.com/ORIGIN8-Torqli ... hain-Guide

VTBike

by VTBike

wpccrunner wrote:not necessarily the case VTBike. I've seen people with a single, regular tooth ring on the front riding some of the smoothest roads possible and still drop the chain.

If you were going to use a normal tooth profile ring, I would at least get some sort of small chain catcher like this one from Origin-8, for example.

http://www.jensonusa.com/ORIGIN8-Torqli ... hain-Guide

Got it.. yeah, I can't say I have direct experience w/ a single ring on my road bike. I suppose i have found myself riding a rough patch of road where I could picture a chain dropping.

kingkongsfinger

by kingkongsfinger

The chainring Im running in the picture is a narrow wide RaceFace which "holds" the chain, the rear mech is a standard one and not a "clutch mech"

I have had no problems at all and I often jump up and down kerbs etc.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Whats the solution for no cable in the LH lever?
Using Tapatalk

Marin

by Marin

Guys, DA9000 has a weird bolt pattern.

wingguy

by wingguy

VTBike wrote:I mean, has your chain ever dropped off the big ring in the front while road riding when you weren't shifting the front derailleur? My guess is no.

Am i missing something here?

Ask David Millar.

The front mech acts as a chain guide, which is part of the reason you never drop a chain without shifting when you're using one.

elviento

by elviento

You mean this?

Notice the chain tooth pattern to avoid dropping. Plus improved design over Sram's wide-narrow ring to reduce friction.
Attachments
Falco Single Ring 3a.jpg
FALCO single ring a.jpg
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Maybe I'm just overly protective of my nutts/teath, but I'd want something like this due to the lower chain tension on the shorter cage mechs. Adapt something WW from carbon and use a standard 9000 outer or a 6800 CX crank for smaller than a 50 tooth. The Braze on Mount is there anyway...

Non factory ring on a 9000 crank with these and a backing spacer to mimic the inner ring

Last edited by Nefarious86 on Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com