Edco Monoblock Cassettes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Raineman

by Raineman

Available in the US from Reunolds here, only 11-25 at the moment.

http://www.reynoldscycling.com/shop/ind ... itm_pk=836

chanthony

by chanthony

kx_1 wrote:I have used Edco 11s for my 10 speed wheels. The fit very good, they are lighter than Duraace around 15grms. The only drawback if I can call it a drawback is that when you shift it is a click more noisy than shimano, because it is one piece and it makes an echo. During riding the noise level is exactly the same. It needs to readjust your RD, but I didn't face any clearance problem. If you don't have any choice for a new freehub, it is a very good idea. When you order it don't forget to,order the extra lockring for the 10s hubs. ( I forgot it)!!!!!

Thanks for the feedback!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

1sanglier

by 1sanglier

kx_1 wrote:I have used Edco 11s for my 10 speed wheels. The fit very good, they are lighter than Duraace around 15grms. The only drawback if I can call it a drawback is that when you shift it is a click more noisy than shimano, because it is one piece and it makes an echo. During riding the noise level is exactly the same. It needs to readjust your RD, but I didn't face any clearance problem. If you don't have any choice for a new freehub, it is a very good idea. When you order it don't forget to,order the extra lockring for the 10s hubs. ( I forgot it)!!!!!

And could you use this extra lockring to use with duraace 11s cassette on 10s hub ?
Or the edco cassette as also a deport on the big cog ?
Thanks

skinnywellfed

by skinnywellfed

eric01 wrote:Trying to understand exactly how the Edco cassette achieves 11sp on 10sp hubs... Am I correct in understanding that the smallest gear protrudes a little further out towards the dropout?

Speaking of token, has anyone found a source for this cassette? I did some googling and can't seem to find online.

According to BIKERUMOR review, yes, the smallest cog moves towards your drop out. That is a 'NO GO' for me.

Token is here;

http://www.tufonorthamerica.biz/index.p ... ts_id=1277

skinnywellfed

by skinnywellfed

eric wrote:The small cog is already as close to the frame as it can be. They have to move the large cog over towards the wheel.

According to BIKERUMOR review the smallest cog is moved towards the frame.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/02/02/edc ... s-cycling/

skinnywellfed

by skinnywellfed

Would have been sweet if EDCO would have 'split the difference'. Use the XTR cassette off-set idea combined with pushing the smallest cog towards the drop out. Consume some of the space by off-setting towards the spokes and consume the rest by off-setting towards the drop out.

Would keep the cassette (and r. der.) away from the spokes and wouldn't crowd the drop out.

Oh well, time to get the file out and go after my free-hub.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

My Edco 11spd cassette just arrived at my house. Unfortunately I am deployed again so won't get to ride it before April. I am pairing it with DA di2 11spd. Once I get a chance to ride it I will let everyone know how it works out.

relanium

by relanium

Hi.
Thinking about purchasing a EDCO Monoblock Cassette, has anyone tried one?

This could be an alternative to me having a new freehub body fitted to my Bontrager Aeolus 3 D3 Clincher rear wheel and fitting an 11speed cassette onto a 10speed freehub.

What is the shifting quality like say to a Dura Ace Cassette, I shall be using the EDCO with DA 9000 Groupset?

Is there any clearance problems with the spokes or frame? My frame is a Trek Madone 6.9SSL.

Thanks.

eric

by eric

Another possible option is the Wheels Mfg Campy Conversion cassette. It's nominally spaced for Campy 11sp which is slightly different than Shimano and Sram. However many people claim all three are compatible. Of course the Wheels cassette may not match the Campy standard, and if it's out of spec the wrong way, may not work as well.

As far as I know, no one has tried this yet.

OTOH a new freehub is probably cheaper, especially if you fit it yourself.

kx_1

by kx_1

@relanium. I have used Edco 11s for my 10 speed wheels. The fit very good, they are lighter than Duraace around 15grms. The only drawback if I can call it a drawback is that when you shift it is a click more noisy than shimano, because it is one piece and it makes an echo. During riding the noise level is exactly the same. It needs to readjust your RD, but I didn't face any clearance problem. If you don't have any choice for a new freehub, it is a very good idea. When you order it don't forget to,order the extra lockring for the 10s hubs. ( I forgot it)!!!!!
My Builds so far... C50,EPS Erik Zabel, C59 Di2.

Racing2

by Racing2

What's wrong with the rearcog moving towards the frame? has anyone tried the Campy version on a Lightweight wheelset?

wingguy

by wingguy

eric wrote:Another possible option is the Wheels Mfg Campy Conversion cassette. It's nominally spaced for Campy 11sp which is slightly different than Shimano and Sram. However many people claim all three are compatible.

I'm currently running a campagnolo 11 cassette on SRAM 11 - shifting is perfect and running is silent all the way through the block. They are absolutely cross compatible, the spacing from the centreline of each cog is identical.

As for Edco, we've sold them for the last couple of months with no adverse comments yet, apart from the locking being quite a tight fit in the threads. I've been surprised by the number of people who still have 10sp only wheels to be honest.

SAIG

by SAIG

The Wheels Mfg 10 => 11 cassette does not work on Chris King hubs (specifically the Classic). Does anyone know if Edco works with Chris King Classic?

LouisN

by LouisN

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

eric wrote:The small cog is already as close to the frame as it can be. They have to move the large cog over towards the wheel.

This may not work with all wheels. Some hubs have DS flange spacing pushed out as far as possible for 10sp as that makes a stronger wheel.

It may work with larger cogs (i.e. 27t and up) where it doesn't work with smaller ones.

This is not quite correct. On most bikes there is room for an eleven speed cassette that is closer to the frame. Remember that the cogs are closer together with 11-speed than 10. The 11-speed cassette is only a tiny bit wider than a 10, not a full cog and space wider. Most frames have room for that couple of mm. If you replace the freehub body to fit an 11-speed cassette on a previously 10-speed hub, you will still be putting all the extra cassette width on the frame side, not on the hub side of the cassette. I have done this many times, and it has always worked.
Robert