canyon aeroad 2015

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tranzformer

by tranzformer

We have been over this countless times on here, but what the heck. Might as well go over it again.

sawyer wrote:Amused by the "why don't they sell in the US??" chat ...

Er ... because it's a litigous market where govt and regulators think nothing of whacking foreign owned companies when they can?

Haven't seen any data showing that the cycling community in the USA is any more or any less litigious that any other community/country in the world. If you have that data, please pass it a long as I would be interested in that.

Shiamno doesn't seem to have a problem being in the US market. Neither does Cerelo. Or Colnago. Nor Bianchi. Nor Look. Nor Cipollini. Nor Time. Nor Fuji. Nor Campy. Nor BMC. So it is beyond the scope of the US bike cycling community being super litigious as those companies don't seem to have a problem.

Also, don't forget that Canyon doesn't sell to Canada nor Australia, two countries that don't have the connotation of being litigious countries. If anything, Australia and Canada are even worse on whacking foreign owned companies with taxes and import duties.

sawyer wrote:A better question is why would such a company wish to enter the US market

Because the USA is one of the largest markets in the world. If you want to continue expanding your market share and business, you go and expand into markets they you aren't in and that have a large base of potential customers.

sawyer wrote:Canyon look to be doing just fine without US sales I'd say ...

I'm sure they are and that is great. But to state that Canyon isn't selling to the US because of lawsuit worry just doesn't pass the sniff test. Also don't buy the government regulation part. Canyon has been stating they would be coming back to the USA since 2010ish. Even Competitive Cyclist (when still based in AR) stated publicly how they were going to be the USA distributor. So not sure what happened to that partnership and why it fell through. But hey, us roadies in the USA aren't at a loss of other great options at good prices.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

53x12

by 53x12

I think Canyon will be in the North American market once they figure out their production and supply chain issues. As this thread has stated (as well as many previous Canyon threads before), Canyon tends to over promise and under deliver when it comes to production estimates and deliveries. I think Canyon is wise to focus on their European market first and get that going. They seem to be doing very well there. Once they have all of those kinks worked out, then they can move on to North America. They will figure it out. They probably didn't want to expand into the large USA market while they were still an up and coming company and increase their burden and the problems associated with growing too fast. They want to sell to the NA market as noted above with the deal they had in place with CC several years back.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

el condor

by el condor

I have a hint why Canyon isn't exporting into potentially huge markets-about 10 years ago when the brand startet producing not just excellent frames but also something for the eye, the run to get a bike was just something Canyon did not expect, so a lot of peaple were left without theire ordered bike due to the extreme demand-delivery was a problem which made an uncountable amount of people really angry.
I believe Canyon is considering to ship to the mentioned countries but defenitely won't go through that situation again. They will have to be prepared.

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

53x12 wrote:I think Canyon will be in the North American market once they figure out their production and supply chain issues. As this thread has stated (as well as many previous Canyon threads before), Canyon tends to over promise and under deliver when it comes to production estimates and deliveries. I think Canyon is wise to focus on their European market first and get that going. They seem to be doing very well there. Once they have all of those kinks worked out, then they can move on to North America. They will figure it out. They probably didn't want to expand into the large USA market while they were still an up and coming company and increase their burden and the problems associated with growing too fast. They want to sell to the NA market as noted above with the deal they had in place with CC several years back.

Disagree on over promise and under deliver. Had my CF SLX ordered with a 6 week delivery period, had it at my door in 3.

Killer bike, killer component, killer price. Cannot imagine another top-end frame, let alone grand tour bike, that will give you the bang for the buck that those Germans do.

Whoever states otherwise is a sourpuss who lives in the US, Canada or Australia. Hahahaha!

:beerchug:
Last edited by DWatkinsBSB on Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

53x12

by 53x12

DWatkinsBSB wrote:Disagree on over promise and under deliver. Had my CF SLX ordered with a 6 week delivery period, had it at my door in 3.

This isn't anything about being a sourpuss. You might be new to Canyon and/or haven't followed them over the years. Delays to receiving a Canyon ordered bike is nothing new. Canyon seems to deal with this every year regardless of what the reason is.

Just some examples for you regarding significant issues with over promising and under delivering to customers in terms of delivering:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31679

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12903747

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... p=18297367

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=17209

http://www.mikepadgett.com/cycling/not-so-grand-canyon/

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... n-delivery

http://www.mbr.co.uk/forums/showthread. ... -of-canyon

http://mobile.pistonheads.com/gassing/t ... 0930&mid=0

Again I like Canyon bikes. Could fairly easily get one by having it shipped to a family member in Europe and then sent onto me from there. But various reasons have made me decide against that. Regardless, if Canyon wants to break into the USA market + have any semblance of being successful, they need to work out their production and logistics issues. Those issues won't fly long in the USA and their time in the USA would be short lived if they continued to over promise and under deliver.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

tinozee

by tinozee

This brand passion is humor. Try actually owning and running a business with over 20 employees and you will see, there is no pity party of fan boys left to help you when the market interest is gone. I only ask about their crappy operations because I need a new frame, simple as that. As far as I see it it's Cannondale Evo, Addict SL, Tarmac/venge or a Canyon. I could give a care less about any of those brands other than that I know the product is stiff and light enough. It's becoming more about the paint jobs at this point. I have zero brand loyalty because I think it's stupid and a waste of time. I want to race bikes not stroke them. I could have one of several associates in NL or CZ order and mail me one, but I just don't trust it based on what I see and hear. I can grab a 2014 evo on ebay new with warranty for less than 2k delivered in maybe 2 days, so there is no way I'm going to sit here and wait for six months.

It just makes me wonder why they wouldn't want to capitalize on the demand, and at the same time build a fan base based on great products that are available and affordable. I think a fly on the wall at a board meeting would hear that they can barely handle Europe with a six month delay, so they are SURE they can't even think about the US market. It's very unlikely that this is some sort of Euro pride or eco-friendly production standard not to sell in the US, give me a break. Plus isn't this a direct order, online sales model? They are already screwing shops, just setup the shipping and catch up with production.

sawyer

by sawyer

tranzformer wrote:We have been over this countless times on here, but what the heck. Might as well go over it again.

sawyer wrote:Amused by the "why don't they sell in the US??" chat ...

Er ... because it's a litigous market where govt and regulators think nothing of whacking foreign owned companies when they can?

Haven't seen any data showing that the cycling community in the USA is any more or any less litigious that any other community/country in the world. If you have that data, please pass it a long as I would be interested in that.

Shiamno doesn't seem to have a problem being in the US market. Neither does Cerelo. Or Colnago. Nor Bianchi. Nor Look. Nor Cipollini. Nor Time. Nor Fuji. Nor Campy. Nor BMC. So it is beyond the scope of the US bike cycling community being super litigious as those companies don't seem to have a problem.

Also, don't forget that Canyon doesn't sell to Canada nor Australia, two countries that don't have the connotation of being litigious countries. If anything, Australia and Canada are even worse on whacking foreign owned companies with taxes and import duties.

sawyer wrote:A better question is why would such a company wish to enter the US market

Because the USA is one of the largest markets in the world. If you want to continue expanding your market share and business, you go and expand into markets they you aren't in and that have a large base of potential customers.

sawyer wrote:Canyon look to be doing just fine without US sales I'd say ...

I'm sure they are and that is great. But to state that Canyon isn't selling to the US because of lawsuit worry just doesn't pass the sniff test. Also don't buy the government regulation part. Canyon has been stating they would be coming back to the USA since 2010ish. Even Competitive Cyclist (when still based in AR) stated publicly how they were going to be the USA distributor. So not sure what happened to that partnership and why it fell through. But hey, us roadies in the USA aren't at a loss of other great options at good prices.

You might be right, or might not be re litigation ..

Like you I doubt there is data on how litigous cycling communties are split by nationality, but ask people in business what the most litigous markets are and which country would you expect to come out top?

It is hardly an attraction.

In any event Canyon is hugely expanding their sales in the markets they are in.

In fact they appear overwhelmed by demand - they consistently struggle to keep to estimated delivery dates for example.

They evidently don't need to enter the US to succeed.

Though I know that pains some people
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

boots2000

by boots2000

Anyone know what Katusha uses to attach an SRM powercontrol to those one piece Canyon bar/stems?

wangsanegara

by wangsanegara

A friend of mine just got his Aeroad with Duraace Di2.
The first word out of his mouth was "Stiff" the first sentence "Very Stiff Bike". He is more of a skinny guy and a climber. He has to put out more effort during climb compare to his CF SLX. Using his CF SLX, I can barely get close to him, but when he is riding the CF Aeroad, I can easily pass him on 10%+ Gradients

This bike is not for everybody, you need to have a very huge power output to climb 10%+ Gradient. On Flat, the bike is simply fast. Also, please keep in mind that this bike has a low headtube, and using a different shape spacer (If you buy complete bike).

Please note that you need to be handy in modifying the rear brake pad as this bike using "Front" Caliper on the backside hence need to modify the brake pad to have extra notch for the retaining screw.

So, if you are a guy who has huge power, who likes to ride fast on flat terrain, this is one of the best looking Aerobike in the market.

A.W

djm

by djm

boots2000: They are using some makeshift bracket hand made by by Katjusha mechs. Apparently it is fixed to the screws holding the wire cover underneath the stem/bar.

Good news here, Canyon finally sent my Aeroad CF SLX this week and it should arrive in some days.. Took a while! :-)

djm

by djm

wangsanegara wrote:A friend of mine just got his Aeroad with Duraace Di2.
The first word out of his mouth was "Stiff" the first sentence "Very Stiff Bike". He is more of a skinny guy and a climber. He has to put out more effort during climb compare to his CF SLX. Using his CF SLX, I can barely get close to him, but when he is riding the CF Aeroad, I can easily pass him on 10%+ Gradients

This bike is not for everybody, you need to have a very huge power output to climb 10%+ Gradient. On Flat, the bike is simply fast. Also, please keep in mind that this bike has a low headtube, and using a different shape spacer (If you buy complete bike).

A.W

Not sure I am following your logic here.. well.. apparently there is no logic? :-)

kgt

by kgt

So are integrated brakes eventually a bad idea? What happened to the ultimate aero gadget? Why are these suitable for a speedmax but not for the aeroad?

53x12

by 53x12

"So are integrated brakes eventually a bad idea? What happened to the ultimate aero gadget? Why are these suitable for a speedmax but not for the aeroad?"

For a UCI Pro team, makes it hard to work on a bike from the team car when the brakes are hidden in the fork and under the bb. There is definitely a good reason to keep standard position of brakes imo for some applications.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GT56

by GT56

djm wrote:
wangsanegara wrote:A friend of mine just got his Aeroad with Duraace Di2.

A.W

Not sure I am following your logic here.. well.. apparently there is no logic? :-)

I am not sure about the last bit either, but stiff, hard riding bikes require constant pressure on the pedals like a 'rouleur' type of rider is able to give, to ride nicely

for the smaller / lighter rider, riding on 'souplesse' a 'softer' bike is more suitable
Last edited by GT56 on Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.