canyon aeroad 2015

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ColnagoJohn

by ColnagoJohn

Anybody on here got theres yet?
I am waiting for the frame and forks set up i have ordered, not due till end of May though, despite ordering beginning of november!! :cry:

Does anyone know if the electric version is compatable with campagnolo eps and the internal battery?
I hope so as i have a full groupset here waiting for the arrival!!

bfno

by bfno

Exciting! I don't think many people have got their hands on these yet as they are on a long waiting list as you say. A lot of people on here are from USA or Australia too which prohibits getting a canyon.

I presume it is EPS compatible as Movistar has been pictured running it on their Aeroad CF SLX's at the end of last season:

Looking forward too seeing your build!
Venge | Shiv TT | Langster | Dogma 60.1 | CruX | Aeroad CF SLX (WIP)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djm

by djm

Beware they could be running some type of "prototype" solution, unavailable to the common man, to make it EPS compatible.. Such is the case with a lower headset cap, which is not available to the public. Also beware of SRM compatibility issues, which the previous Aeroad suffered from, although it was possible to solve it using a spacer or o-ring on the DS spindle. Judging from photos the BB housing has a similar shape, but tolerances were small on the old one so who knows.

Canyon now has a chat function on their website, try asking there. I've had just bad luck over the past years asking them stuff over the phone or e-mail, there just never is an answer.

And oh, I'm also waiting for my Aeroad CF SLX (8.0, complete bike) which was due to be delivered week 42 but after having been postponed five times now has no due date. Maybe it's meant to be 9 months?

MartyWild

by MartyWild

These bikes grew on me so much, I almost took the plunge but was told after a Retul fitting that it wasn't and ideal bike for my physiology.

The idea of the sizing not being great and the company being 1000 miles away in Germany made me chicken out.

Have heard crazy stories for waiting times, my god they look great though don't though!

ichobi

by ichobi

I talked to the rep at Canyon booth at Eurobike about EPS compatibility. This model support Di2 officially, and for EPS you have to try a makeshift solution. It could work, but it won't be as easy as Di2. They specifically said that this bike is designed with Di2 in mind (hence the junction box slot at the handlebar).

lippythelion

by lippythelion

They don't look like Campagnolo brake calipers!
I suspect that there will be a Campag version at some point in the near future because of Movistar (& its previous incarnations) and Campagnolo being partners for such a long time.

seanblurr

by seanblurr

They run DA9000 calipers painted black
Instagram @seanblurr

ichobi

by ichobi

If you buy a frameset, it comes installed with DA9000 callipers

corky

by corky

Probably because Campag has yet to release a direct mount version, those da calipers look like direct mount to me......

tinozee

by tinozee

Why doesn't canyon sell in US and keep a tighter production schedule? It's really a shame and sort of turns me off to the brand. Seems like they make quality stuff but need better people running operations.

wingguy

by wingguy

Well, as a wild ass guess, with the value they offer they're presumably running with pretty slim margins on the bikes which would mean reducing any wasteage, including excess manufacturing capacity. That would mean that any production problems, over ordering or other delays on one product would get amplified down the line and take longer to return to normal lead times. Then, if they were to open themselves to the US market they'd not only need to create new distribution channels but invest even more heavily in extra production capacity and get it up to speed with no hitches straight away, which they apparently don't feel either ready or willing to do yet.

Not every company wants to take the risk of plunging itself into debt in order to chase the fastest possible growth. Seems to me like they know exactly what they're doing...

Frankie13

by Frankie13

According to what I was reading during my holiday stay in Germany they made 112 Million € last year which I think it's not that bad. I went to Canyons headquarters two years ago, and it's pretty impressive.
Needless to say that I'm on my second Ultimate CF. The availability of complete bikes and frame sets is indeed a pain but it seems to work for Canyon.

ms6073

by ms6073

tinozee wrote:Why doesn't canyon sell in US

My guess would be the prohibitively high costs associated with testing required to meet Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) standards, coupled with the vagaries of liability lawsuits in various states throughout the US.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

sawyer

by sawyer

Amused by the "why don't they sell in the US??" chat ...

Er ... because it's a litigous market where govt and regulators think nothing of whacking foreign owned companies when they can?

I know WWs are the same world over and probably wish it wasn't so ...

A better question is why would such a company wish to enter the US market

Canyon look to be doing just fine without US sales I'd say ...

Just ordered my second CF SLX ... £1200 for a Grand Tour winning frame ...
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

ichobi

by ichobi

They hire 500 employees and is doing pretty well business wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com