canyon aeroad 2015

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

IlPrincipe

by IlPrincipe

I took delivery of an Aeroad SLX 8.0 in December.

Can't post any pics yet - had to start a new account as completely forgot myWW user/pass!

Haven't ridden it much yet thanks to the terrible weather here in the UK but will post my thoughts in due course. First impressions are very good.

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

wangsanegara wrote:A friend of mine just got his Aeroad with Duraace Di2.
The first word out of his mouth was "Stiff" the first sentence "Very Stiff Bike". He is more of a skinny guy and a climber. He has to put out more effort during climb compare to his CF SLX. Using his CF SLX, I can barely get close to him, but when he is riding the CF Aeroad, I can easily pass him on 10%+ Gradients

This bike is not for everybody, you need to have a very huge power output to climb 10%+ Gradient. On Flat, the bike is simply fast.

So, if you are a guy who has huge power, who likes to ride fast on flat terrain, this is one of the best looking Aerobike in the market.

A.W

This is a funny kind of anecdotal statement. Its obviously your friend'd experience so I will take that for what its worth. However, when you look at Katusha, that has the option of either the Aeroad or SLX, a guy like Luca Paolini would be on the Aeroad and someone like Joachim Rodriguez would be on the SLX, and yet its the opposite. So I guess the answer is "to each their own"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djm

by djm

GT56 wrote:
djm wrote:
The first word out of his mouth was "Stiff" the first sentence "Very Stiff Bike". He is more of a skinny guy and a climber. He has to put out more effort during climb compare to his CF SLX. Using his CF SLX, I can barely get close to him, but when he is riding the CF Aeroad, I can easily pass him on 10%+ Gradients

This bike is not for everybody, you need to have a very huge power output to climb 10%+ Gradient. On Flat, the bike is simply fast. Also, please keep in mind that this bike has a low headtube, and using a different shape spacer (If you buy complete bike).

A.W

Not sure I am following your logic here.. well.. apparently there is no logic? :-)

I am not sure about the last bit either, but stiff, hard riding bikes require constant pressure on the pedals like a 'rouleur' type of rider is able to give, to ride nicely

for the smaller / lighter rider, riding on 'souplesse' a 'softer' bike is more suitable

Unless you are able to back this up with hard evidence I can't see that an aerodynamic frame would ascend slower than a frame with traditionally shaped tubes. Unless of course there is a significant weight difference but let us assume bikes are identical except their frames. What kind of marketing Kool-Aid have you chugged?

FWIW the Ultimate CF (SLX), the "climber's bike" is considered stiffer than the Aeroad CF SLX, so the opposite should be the case if your theory had any hold to it.

The Aeroad CF SLX does not have integrated aerodynamic brakes, but rather direct mount non-integrated brakes. . Canyon have placed the rear brake on the seat stay bridge for ease of access, not opting for the under the not so friendly placement under the bottom bracket. A TT bike has other requirements as it is mainly ridden alone, and aerodynamics rather than immediate serviceability is the more important factor. If you puncture in a TT, the game is over, not so much in a mass start. Aerodynamics on a road bike is mainly just a marketing/selling point rather than something the user needs. (Doesn't sound like I just bought one..)

53x12

by 53x12

For those in USA, looks like Canyon might be making inroads to coming over here soon. A few weeks ago, Herbert Krabel (SlowTwitch news editor) noted that Canyon was sending him an Aeroad to test ride and write about. Might see them MY2016 in the USA?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

wingguy

by wingguy

GT56 wrote:I am not sure about the last bit either, but stiff, hard riding bikes require constant pressure on the pedals like a 'rouleur' type of rider is able to give, to ride nicely

for the smaller / lighter rider, riding on 'souplesse' a 'softer' bike is more suitable

Sorry dude, but that's just superstition and witchcraft! The only thing that a stiffer bike setup is potentially going to do is beat you up slightly more over a long distance. There is no way it's going to have a detrimental effect on actual power transfer, for any style of rider.

And the anecdote "I can't keep up with him on an SLX but pass him easily on the Aeroad" that makes no sense. It can't possibly have that big of an effect unless a) the gearing's different, b) something's rubbing or c) he's not used to the feel/handling yet and he's not measuring his effort properly.

ichobi

by ichobi

edit

wangsanegara

by wangsanegara

GT56 wrote:
djm wrote:

This bike is not for everybody, you need to have a very huge power output to climb 10%+ Gradient. On Flat, the bike is simply fast. Also, please keep in mind that this bike has a low headtube, and using a different shape spacer (If you buy complete bike).

A.W

Not sure I am following your logic here.. well.. apparently there is no logic? :-)

I am not sure about the last bit either, but stiff, hard riding bikes require constant pressure on the pedals like a 'rouleur' type of rider is able to give, to ride nicely

Yes, this is exactly what I meant... Thanks GT56

A.W

wangsanegara

by wangsanegara

wingguy wrote:
GT56 wrote:I am not sure about the last bit either, but stiff, hard riding bikes require constant pressure on the pedals like a 'rouleur' type of rider is able to give, to ride nicely

Sorry dude, but that's just superstition and witchcraft! The only thing that a stiffer bike setup is potentially going to do is beat you up slightly more over a long distance. There is no way it's going to have a detrimental effect on actual power transfer, for any style of rider.

And the anecdote "I can't keep up with him on an SLX but pass him easily on the Aeroad" that makes no sense. It can't possibly have that big of an effect unless a) the gearing's different, b) something's rubbing or c) he's not used to the feel/handling yet and he's not measuring his effort properly.

Hi wingguy,

I may not be a pro, but I can feel the differences between a climbing bike and an aero bike on a "carefully controlled" riding condition.
Don't get me wrong, the new Aeroad looks amazing and would definitely choose it over the SLX for a flat terrain. But I agree with the opinion of my friend who has both CF Slx and Aeroad. And Btw, he has the Aeroad for almost 3 weeks and have been riding the CF Slx for almost 1 year.

Thanks.

kgt

by kgt

djm wrote: Aerodynamics on a road bike is mainly just a marketing/selling point rather than something the user needs. (Doesn't sound like I just bought one..)

:thumbup:

TimW

by TimW

Second that

tranzformer

by tranzformer

In this day and age with the new layups and tube shapes, there is no reason not to get an aero road frame over a traditional round tube frame. No reason at all. Unless of course one didn't take physics or math in college and doesn't understand aero. Aero frames of 2015 aren't like the aero frames that came out in 2008.

wingguy

by wingguy

wangsanegara wrote:I may not be a pro, but I can feel the differences between a climbing bike and an aero bike on a "carefully controlled" riding condition.

Yeah, sure you can 'feel' the difference. Being able to measure it in speed is something else. And it making the difference between beating someone up a climb or losing badly to them... No. Just no. Not unless there is something seriously wrong with the way the bike is put together.

53x12

by 53x12

wangsanegara wrote:I may not be a pro, but I can feel the differences between a climbing bike and an aero bike on a "carefully controlled" riding condition.

You sure? Did you blind yourself?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

sawyer

by sawyer

tranzformer wrote:In this day and age with the new layups and tube shapes, there is no reason not to get an aero road frame over a traditional round tube frame. No reason at all. Unless of course one didn't take physics or math in college and doesn't understand aero. Aero frames of 2015 aren't like the aero frames that came out in 2008.

Hi - the range of aero frames available is one reason not to.

E.g. - Canyon only comes with oversized steerer which is a ballache ...
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

ichobi

by ichobi

Those who are interested in the new Canyon Aeroad should read the latest Tour test. TOUR put it as the best Aero bike in the industry (at least from the testing samples which were fairly comprehensive). Just a few watts slower than the new S5, but much more comfortable, stiff, and nimble.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com