Shimano FC-9000 crank or Rotor Q ring crank for BMC TMR01

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gianimadrid

by gianimadrid

I have a 2015 BMC TMR01 and i will be upgrading my drive train soon. I am decicding between a FC-9000 crank and a Rotor crank with Q rings. Has anyone been in this situation? Also what do you think about the Q rings?

06SpiceRed

by 06SpiceRed

gianimadrid wrote:I have a 2015 BMC TMR01 and i will be upgrading my drive train soon. I am decicding between a FC-9000 crank and a Rotor crank with Q rings. Has anyone been in this situation? Also what do you think about the Q rings?

I have 9000 cranks on a couple of my bikes and just switched one over to Q rings last week. So far Im really liking the Q rings and have not suffered or had any front shifting issues that many are accustomed to experiencing (Probably due to being set up just right. I purchased the Aero Q rings seperately from the cranks and simply just installed it on the existing cranks. I chose to do this to make it easier than switching cranks back and forth if I decided to, this way changing rings were a lot easier. They do take some time adjusting too and you will feel your quads loading up as they do use different muscles in the pedal stroke, but you easily get used to them. I chose to go this route from the stand point of cost too. The chain rings arent that expensive relative to a full crank and with 9000, you get one of the best cranks out there from the get go.
A bunch of carbon, with a bunch of electronic parts

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I run mechanical DA9000 with Rotor 3D+MAS, 110Bcd, Aero Q-ring 52T/38T and 12-28 cassette.
I have had no problems setting it up for fast shifting, no chain rub.
I honestly did not expect it to work as well as it does.
I have only ridden a few hours on trainer so far and today was my first real ride (winter here).
So far i like it very much and have no plan going back to round rings.
If i were you, i would go for this combo without hesitation.
I tried to come up with drawbacks i have noticed, but i realy have none,... yet anyway :thumbup:

Go for the MAS version, you have 10 positions for the rings, instead of 5 of the standard cranks.
Looks great with Aero rings and it really is as light as the standard 3D+.
The Flow crank with MAS spider, is about 50g more heavy.
With 10 positions you can't really go wrong no matter how you want to set up the rings.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.