£200 to spend, where to spend it!?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

I'm lucky that I am I've accumulated some Wiggle vouchers and a bit of cash over chrimbo. I want to upgrade my Wilier GT that is stock save for some PX 50mm Tubs and an aliante saddle. It's currently Campag Centaur throughout , stock FSA Slk brakes, stem and bar. I'm thinking abuot some PX Calipers, maybe a Hylix carbon ergonova bar, stem and seatpost combo which is near enough achievable for £200 and decent weight savings. Where should I spend it? I weigh 88kg and run for fun, no racing and am not inherently heavy on kit.

octav

by octav

Do you have a Carbon Centaur? If not, I would get a carbon crankset, a SL-k one to match all your kit.
If you have SL-k brakes/stem/bar it's really nice :)
You could also upgrade your pedals. At 88kg I don't know how the Planet X Brakes feel. I would stick with SL-K brakes.
Also, you could get a lighter saddle(that would be my last option)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

liam7020

by liam7020

I've bought two pairs of "ergonova" bars off fleabay and they're been excellent - even used one pair for cyclocross. Stay well clear of the Hylix stem, very light but so poorly made I didn't even bother fitting it to the bike. The PX KNC brakes are very good indeed. Weighing in at 215g for the set, relatively easy to fit and good stopping power. I'm rigging up a bike to ride the Paris-Roubaix sportive in April and have just bought a second pair of PX brakes to use on that bike.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

Marin

by Marin

Don't just swap parts for weight savings if the new ones don't work better.

How about a 2nd set of wheels?

Svetty

by Svetty

At 88kgs I wouldn't be looking to spend limited resources purely on losing weight from the bike unless the existing components are worn/needing replacements. Losing weight from the rider is a better bet for improved performance.

Spend the money on clothing?

kgt

by kgt

You may start upgrading your groupset to 11speed Chorus. Start getting some components and complete it during the next year...
BTW losing weight from the bike is a hobby. Losing weight from the rider is called diet.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Send me your £200

I'll knock you a pair of ciamillo brakes up :wink:

Eventually...

Treat the other arf to something, then she won't blink quite so much when you buy something you really want :idea:
Official cafe stop tester

eric

by eric

Stock up on consumeables- tires, tubes, chains. And warm clothes.

Tokyo Drifter

by Tokyo Drifter

You won't see very much improvement on a bike for that money.

I would do the following, in this order
1. Saddle, if you find it uncomfortable.
2. Get the bike serviced well from a real bike shop.
3. A bike fit.
4. Asos knicks - last forever and you'll never go back.
5. Shoes - the best you can afford which fit your foot.
6. Handlebars, in carbon, if yours are alloy or if you're unhappy with the shape of yours.
7. Stock up on nice tyres, chains, cables, bartape etc and ride the snot out of it.
8. Wheels - but you won't get much for the money you're looking to spend.

Marin

by Marin

You could get a used set of Aksiums and a set of wide pave or gravel tires and latex tubes for 200 quid!

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

Thanks for all the input, I've got a better cycling wardrobe than my everyday wardrobe so I don't need to spend anything there! at 88kg I know I need to lose weight off me but that's not why I read weight weenies! Most people like the px calipers so will prob give them a crack

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com