tradeoff from road to cx?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

motorthings

by motorthings

I have a 2012 Cannondale Supersix Evo that I love, but we have moved to the front range of the Colorado Rocky Mountains, and I now have access to a huge amount of gravel roads and trails. My poor arthritic body can't handle "real" offroad riding, i am only managing 3 years between knee surgeries, i think racing is no longer a viable pursuit for me, and I am thinking a cyclocross bike might be the best of all worlds (to allow me to run up to 32c tires for gravel).

I really want one bike, rather than adding one to the stable. I am looking at the Raleigh RXC Pro Disc as the replacement for the Evo (enticed by the price-point and Ultegra di2)

The question I have is, how much am i giving up in the switch? I know the CX will be heavier, and geometry will be slightly different, and I am curious about this hive mind's experience with the tradeoffs between road and cx bikes. i can handle some tradeoffs in exchange for greater access to the less roady roads we have in abundance.

Thanks in advance for your erudite opinions!

F45

by F45

I ride a cx frame as my road bike. You don't give up much if you watch the geometry.

If I were you, I'd compare the geometry of your Evo to the cx bikes in your price limit. Pay attention to bottom bracket height and head tube length. If you already run spacers and a rising stem on the Evo, one of the cx bikes with a tall head tube would be a fit.

Also, watch top tube length vs their advertised "size".

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

I rode a CX bike as my main bike for a while. Was able to get same position as roadie so no tradeoff in comfort. Didn't corner quite so well at speed but was very versatile. If you're not racing it sounds like a really good option.

The Raleigh is a lot taller stack than the Evo. What stem/spacer setup do you have on which frame size?

motorthings

by motorthings

my evo is a 56cm frame, and from the top of the frame to the middle of the stem is ~ 2"

from the specs, it looks like the stack on the raleigh is 57cm compared to 55.8 for the cdale

i gotta say, the difference in weight is the scariest part...my evo is 14.5 lbs and the RXC is just under 19. i am a weenie.

06SpiceRed

by 06SpiceRed

As someone who lives on the front range and who was in the exact postion a couple years back, I know how you feel. After going back and forth numerous times about the pros and cons of having one or the other, I ended up just adding the CX bike to the stable. Now I know you mentioned you'd rather stick with one bike, and it seems you've narrowed it down to one that you like the most. Just make sure it feels comfortable and the geometry is one you will be comfortable with. I honestly don't think you'll be trading much off with the cx bikes of today. The weight penalty would be potentially something, but being a WW, its not something you couldn't tinker with. I mean, if you already ride a compact, then its as simple as changing chainrings to something bigger. You can even throw back on road tires if you need your road fix. With a lot of manfactures now days making disc specific road bikes, buying a CX wouldn't be far off at all.
A bunch of carbon, with a bunch of electronic parts

F45

by F45

It's so hard to find a cx fork even under 500 grams. If you can find a frameset within 600 grams of the Evo, you'll be doing well.

Marin

by Marin

Canti CX forks are all under 500g.

Why disc? Get a carbon CX with mini V-brakes and 2 wheel sets.

My Chinese LTK027 CX frame weighs 1040g and feels bombproof.

eric

by eric

CX race bikes have higher BBs than road, longer forks and often slower steering than road bikes. The BB and fork will affect your position. CX race bikes are often stiff- races are under an hour so comfort is not a priority.

CX race gearing is not as low or as high as typical road bikes or what you'd want for riding in mountains. CX races don't have climbs.

Many current "CX" bikes are not race bikes, they are more like what you are looking for.

motorthings

by motorthings

I am pretty fussy about handling, so I think I may just go with a rival hydraulic cx build (like a cdale super x) and keep the Evo, since it can do no wrong on the road.
I also have a line on a super x with canti's for $1700 that is tempting...but that is so last year.

Thanks for the feedback!

06SpiceRed

by 06SpiceRed

If you can add another bike to the stabe, id say do it. Your love for the EVO is too high to get rid of it.
A bunch of carbon, with a bunch of electronic parts

motorthings

by motorthings

this is true...i AM madly in love with the Evo, thanks for noticing!

F45

by F45

Marin wrote:Canti CX forks are all under 500g.

Why disc? Get a carbon CX with mini V-brakes and 2 wheel sets.

My Chinese LTK027 CX frame weighs 1040g and feels bombproof.

That is a great weight for a cx frame. My BH RX1 full carbon fork is 485g cut. My Ritchey full carbon cx fork is right at 500g. Both canti.

airwise

by airwise

I ride my CX a lot in the winter.

The biggest difference apart from the additional weight, is cornering with the higher bottom bracket.

I notice that the CX frame is less confident being leaned into corners that my standard road bikes. If fast downhill cornering is not a concern than I can't see that many drawbacks.

bluesea

by bluesea

No interest in the Felt F1 PR? Nice looking set up, with frameset listed at the website as well.

motorthings

by motorthings

I actually saw the Felt F1 PR and was drawn to it, but the shop i used to work at (and still looks out for me) is no longer a felt dealer, and I have a hard time paying full retail.

The only thing I don't like about it (which is unavoidable with a non-disc setup) is the need for long reach calipers. I am used to the sublime feel and power of my EE brakes, and am guessing the TRP RG957 long reach calipers needed for larger tires would make me sad.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com