tradeoff from road to cx?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

VTBike

by VTBike

My road bike is a Cannondale Supersix, which weighs in at 14lb including pedals & computer.. Love that bike. Anyway, this year upon moving to the rainy (but ever ridable all winter long) NorthWest, i started using my cross bike as a winter/rain bike. For the frame, I picked up a brand new Felt F1X cantilever brake on ebay for $875 (its the 2013 version, and complete steal at that price IMO). When racing cross, I have it setup with a 1x10 setup (pretty much all Sram red), and use avid shorti ultimate canti's for brakes. To make it a road bike, I swapped my 40t chainring for a standard gearing 53x39, put on a Sram red rear derailleur, swapped seats for the same thing I use on my road bike (specialized romin), and put on an extra set of training wheels I have (mavic ksyrium expert, 2010 version) with 23mm tires. Also put on a basic set of look keo pedals. All in, it's 16lbs including pedals and computer; which i'm super happy with for a winter bike.

My position on the bike is pretty identical to my road setup - i was able to easily match the seat position fore/aft, and the reach. Overall, i'm incredibly happy with how it performs. No, it doesn't replace my Supersix in the slightest, but I didn't build it for that. 40-50 miles rides are very enjoyable. The biggest difference is the longer wheelbase - steering/handling is notably more sluggish (this is a benefit on gravel IMO). The second biggest difference is the frame stiffness - it's way more compliant than the supersix, which is especially noticeable on 23mm tires. At first blush, i would say this was a benefit - but it's way less efficient climbing; and oddly on 40-50 miles into a ride, i get minimal lower back pain. On the supersix, i can ride 100+ miles with no back pain, so I'm not sure exactly where this is coming from. I can only guess that it has to do with the overall frame stiffness (or lack thereof, in certain parts). Finally, the brakes offer a slight downgrade in performance. I was prepared for a significant downgrade - and was super surprised to find the braking quite good. If my supersix (which has TRP 970s) is a 10/10, the Felt is a 7.5/10. (i'm 200 lb for reference). Not sure what the other poster is talking about with the long-reach calipers -- using road calipers on a canti bike is impossible (but also not necessary).

To tie this into the OP's question - I think it's a great idea to go with a C/X frame for your needs on gravel roads. I'd take out my Felt in a heartbeat over the supersix, put my cross wheels on (33mm), and would be super happy. I would very much recommend this frameset too - and believe you can still find killer deals on the older canti-brake models.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

motorthings

by motorthings

the discussion of long reach calipers was related to the F1 PR, which has normal caliper brake mounts, but clearance for up to 32c tires, so needs long reach. if i thought the braking performance was adequate for the area, i think that frameset would be a shoo in.

i agree either a canti cx bike or disc would be fine for gravel, but i don't think canti's would work well on some of the descents we have here. i do have a line on a cdale superx with canti's and red group for a good price, but am a bit more tempted to build something up with discs so it will be more versatile.

Marin

by Marin

Go Mini-V instead of Cantis, tons of power.

bluesea

by bluesea

motorthings wrote:the discussion of long reach calipers was related to the F1 PR, which has normal caliper brake mounts, but clearance for up to 32c tires, so needs long reach. if i thought the braking performance was adequate for the area, i think that frameset would be a shoo in.

i agree either a canti cx bike or disc would be fine for gravel, but i don't think canti's would work well on some of the descents we have here. i do have a line on a cdale superx with canti's and red group for a good price, but am a bit more tempted to build something up with discs so it will be more versatile.

Might be a good idea to open up the search. :) If I could only find an F1 PR at discount.

motorthings

by motorthings

bluesea wrote:If I could only find an F1 PR at discount.

exactly.

djwalker

by djwalker

I ride my cx bike here in the Appalachians with a lot of steep gravel hills. I have mini v brakes (trp 8.4s) and hate them. The only good thing is that cantis are worse. They have power but no rim clearance. If they are set up so that the levers don't go all the way to the bars then they drag if the rims aren't perfectly true. And they still require a lot of hand pressure. My hands always start cramping on long, bumpy, twisty descents. GET disks. They are so much more user friendly in these conditions. On my MTB I can do the same hills braking with one finger.

F45

by F45

No, just use the Tektro 926AL v-brakes. I run them with 6800 levers and they're perfect. 80mm arms. Paul also makes a model if you want to spend more.

Jagwire makes a cartridge (shoe?) that takes normal road pads.