Shimano polymer cables and SRAM shifters

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hmai18

by hmai18

The cable fraying issue with the new Shimano polymer cables is well-documented and from my understanding, a lot of it has to do with the routing path in the shifters.

Does anybody have any long term experience using these cables with SRAM shifters?

namejoker

by namejoker

You mean new DuraaceBC9000 ? Yes I did.

Not so long tho, about 1500 - 2000 km. The installation is quite tricky, you'll need to be very careful placing the polymer cable into the shifter housing since the SRAM cable hole is smaller than others (force22) and they will prone to destroy coating on the cable. However once they are in they are completely zero issue. Buttery smooth and easier shifting and braking.

HOWEVER, the cable is not easy to remove because the fraying part will stuck in the shifter housing, I have to cut them in order to remove them from housing. Meaning once it's in, don't remove it or else you'll need to replace a new one.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

The are working fine with my Force 22 shifters.

hmai18

by hmai18

Holy thread necromancy...

Yeah, so I've been running the 9000 cables on my road bike with the old style Red shifters and just started my CX season with a shift cable in my Rival 11 hyrdo shifters. All is good.