Losing weight bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

istigatrice

by istigatrice

jamesbass wrote:Can you convince them to make you customized lighter parts for you?

Better yet - see if you can convince your mechanics to drill some pieces out (eg your shift leavers) :twisted: (not recommended I'm joking).

Fiberlyte RD cages? You'll still have your sponsor's rear mech logos, just a different cage. Probably only worth a couple of grams though

Last but not least, size down a frame size? (I'm sure you're already 3 sizes down though :? )
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

drchull

by drchull

Don't think the pro mechanics would be very happy about dealing with power cords.

As a pro though couldn't you get a climbing bike set up for climbing days when 300g may matter a little. Every other day the Aero is likely saving you more than 300g costing. That or just go to shallower and presumably lighter wheels those days.

KMC SL chain?

Frankly I would be happy that someone else is paying for my stuff, stick the extra weight in the very back of my mind and probably never notice again.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jesper64

by Jesper64

If you're on clincher tyres then latex tubes can save quite a few grams over butyl.

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

Jesper64 wrote:If you're on clincher tyres then latex tubes can save quite a few grams over butyl.

The main difference is that buty rubber is used to make every category of tube from light racing to super-heavy thorn proof. Latex, OTOH, is used essentially only for racing tires. So you have to be careful when buying butyl tubes to seek out the lightest if that is what you want. When buying latex tubes, they are all reasonably light. I think that is what is responsible for the impression that latex tubes are generally much lighter than butyl. It just isn't true at the ultimate low end of both.

There are readily available 70 g butyl tubes from Performance or others even with 48 mm valve stems. Vredestein has a 44 g latex tube, but many others are heavier than the 70 g Performance butyl tube like Vittoria's. There used to be a 52 g butyl tube at Performance with the 48 mm stem, but it was unreliable at the seams and was discontinued. Thing is butyl rubber and natural rubber (latex) aren't really much different in density. The formulations both contain oil and fillers as well and the curing agents. I doubt one should make much lighter tubes than the other.
Robert

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Is this topic really nesessary?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

Tim W in da place 8)

micky

by micky

As it will be almost impossible to change parts like seatpost/bar/stem due to sponsorship, I would probably try to change things that are hidden like full ceramic BB and lighter headset bearings; it won't save much but every gram count!

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

The Cane Creek AER II headset saves 50% of the weight of the top portion of a normal headset due to the plastic bearing it uses. I'm pretty sure you just combine it with a normal bottom headset part of your choice. Make sure your brake sleeve nuts that fasten the calipers to the frame are titanium. Also all hardware on the stem can be titanium. I'm oretty sure you can get away with a Ti seatpost clamp bolt too, but I wouldn't use a Ti for the saddle clamp. Small savings, but like you say...
Robert

yosti

by yosti

You could use these:

Kcnc ti wires+Alligator iLink

Corima brakepads

Extralite UltraStar 3 (will save you 10-30gms)

SEQ Lite Titanium Cassette 11-28, 120gms (will save you 60gms compared to campagnolo super record cassette 11-29)

Extralite HyperStem O-12 (just black it out(will save you 15-35gms)

and maybe some lighter tubes. :thumbup: