Action Camera Mounts

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DuncanS

by DuncanS

Nebbh, credit goes to a user on another forum but I didn't quite believe it would work. I will report back on stavility - seems firm.
Turbokoo, I don't have any exposed rail at the back to fit that type of mount. Thus the search.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

So, here is my opinion of seat rail mounts. It always seems to be in the way. I know that some people do not ride with a saddle bag, but I do. I leave my jersey pockets for food and phone. So the rail mounts just don't work for me. Also while DuncanS' use of the helmet mount is ingenious, there is still three joints that can work loose during a ride and allow the camera to move or induce camera shake. Simple is almost always better.

Still a good way to think out of the box.

DuncanS

by DuncanS

I agree about the joints. The middle knuckle keeps working loose, just enough to cause jitter.

I dumped the saddle bag last year in favour of a lovely leather tool pouch/wallet, as seen over in the "what have you bought today" thread. So now I have re-cluttered with a camera ;)

To complete the picture, here is the front mount solution: Tillquist mount with a tripod mount with 1/4" screw, washer and loctite.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

DuncanS, can you take a picture of the front camera from the side and slightly overexpose the Virb so I can see how it's mounted?

I will take a picture of my setup with the Sony HDR-AZ1 and post shortly. Still waiting for my revised seatpost mount.

DuncanS2

by DuncanS2

(New account since I can't enter an invisible captcha challenge through tapatalk.)

How's this, Waldo? It's the "new" Tillquist mount.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Duncan, I had the same issue with Tapatalk, even my IP was permanently banned from WW. It's all fixed now, or at least seems to be.

Looks very sturdy. This was one thing I was always leary of with the Virb. The screen is nice to have, but your mounting make it near impossible to see. Does the Virb allow remote viewing for composition and setup. I am using a Sony AZ1 with the K-Edge mount under a Garmin 810 in the front. Got a good deal that I couldn't pass up. Sony has no screen so have to use either their LiveRemote or Smartphone app. Both work well for framing purposes.

I also took a ride yesterday with my 3D printed seatpost mount, here is a one minute clip showing its stability:
3D printed mount test 00:01:11

Update:
Got my new mount today, for the weight weenies it weighs in at 14 grams with two alloy M3 x 16 mm Cap Screws, two M3 Nylon Lock Nuts and one M5 Nylon Lock Nut. It is about 1.5 grams heavier with the more standard Acorn nut usually provided with GoPro thumbscrews.

After I mount it on the bike, I will snap some pictures before my next ride.

I am also trying to get my Contour cameras back in service so I created a couple of T-Rail/GoPro adapters for it.
Click image for more information or to get one for yourself.
Last edited by WheresWaldo on Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DuncanS2

by DuncanS2

Waldo, the virb screen is useless. Really. Can barely see anything. And it's upside down the way I have them mounted. The Elite has a wifi smart phone app for preview and config but you can't use it as a view finder once actually recording. The standard model (which I believe is discontinued) does not have wifi so no smart phone app.

DuncanS2

by DuncanS2

I would love to get my hands on an aero seatpost mount with enough extension to fit the virb cradle...

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Duncan, what does the Garmin/GoPro Adapter look like? And, even though I am terribly slow learning all this 3D CAD stuff, If I knew the dimentions of the seat post I could give it a try. No promises, mind you, as I do this in my limited spare time. You might then be able to have it 3D printed. You would need to use a micrometer to get dimensions all along the shape where its inserted in the seat tube.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Hey duncan, I told you I could do something with an aero seat post. Here is something I built for my daughters Cannondale Synapse:

DuncanS2

by DuncanS2

Nice work! Sorry, I've been having problems posting with the forum issues lately. I don't really have a way of making more than basic caliper measurements and I've been happy with the strap mount so I think I'll make do for now, though I do know someone with a 3d printer so the offer was tempting!

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Just got a few parts in from the 3D printer. I built these up because I needed what these parts do in a reall weight weenie sense. Couldn't use the standard parts because either they don't make them or they are too big and bulky. So the first thing was a direct mount for the Sony HDR-AZ1 Mini Action Camera. The Sony is too small to have a tripod socket in the bottom of the camera so they made an adapter that inserts into a slot in the back and then uses an M4 thumbscrew to attach. This is built the same way and uses an M4 socket head cap screw and the standard GoPro style thumbscrew and acorn nut.

Here it is installed on the bike

Of course the whole point was to get my Contour cameras back into service to I created a direct mount adapter. It goes directly from T-Rail to GoPro and slides on the Contour camera just as their facotry mounts do.

Here is an image of the Contour mounted on the bicycle.

The last thing that shwed up yesterday was a clip to mount the Sony Live-View Remote onto a Garmin quarter-turn compatible mount. The Live-View Remote is necessary if you are going to do any multi-camera syncing and if you want to control your AZ1. Otherwise everything must be done via mobile phone and Sony's PlayMemories Mobile application. I wanted the screen off my wrist and mounted on the bike, but still have the ability to quickly remove it if I need to step away from my bicycle. Here is the result.

This image shows how it mounts onto the Garmin style mount.

Click on any of the images to be taken to a page where you can get one of these.

mgrennie

by mgrennie

Love the mounts Waldo. I just bought a 3D printer because I want to do a few custom Gopro mounts for my bikes and boat, as well as other things.
Let me know if I can help you out while I learn how to use it.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Thanks, I have lower poly count versions up on Thingiverse.com I use the same user name there. None of them have support structures so you'll need to add them for home printing. I don't have my own printer yet so I am basing these designs on actual measurements and my limited architectural background.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Duncan,

If you ever decide you want to get that Virb off your saddle rails and onto a proper mount, I now have a direct Virb to Cervelo S-Series Aero Post Mount.
Virb Cervelo S-Series Aero Post Mount

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com