New Bike Discussion - Emonda, BH, or Bianchi Infinito CV

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jefftillack

by jefftillack

HI everyone,

Just after some of your thoughts. I currently have a 4 year old TCR Composite, but have the wife's permission to upgrade in the new year. I'm allowed (yes, we know who's the real boss..) to spend up to $5k Australian. I've looked a lot of bikes lately and I've come down to the Bianchi Infinito CV (for $4999.00), the BH Ultralight RC ($3500.00) or an Emonda SL6 ($3500.00).

Now the issue here is this: If I buy the Bianchi I get a superb, comfortable and gorgeous bike, but with heavy training wheels. For the same money I could buy either the Trek or the BH and kit them out with some light Mavic R-SYS wheels for about the same outlay. This appeals to me as I'm tossing around the thought of doing an "Everest" next year. Besides this, blacked out Mavic's do look very cool if I buy the BH or Trek sans colour stickers etc. I like the stealth look.

I have friends with the BH's who love them for their lightness, but at 50 years old I'm concerned about their ability to absorb crap roads. The TCR is awesome, but stiff and pretty harsh on some of the roads around my place. The Bianchi on the other hand should eat these for breakfast ( as we say in Australia..). I ride a lot of hills too, so of course lightness plays into the decision.

My TCR has a set of Cosmic carbones on it already (not bad, but not suited to the hills so much), but I'm after a lighter bike specifically for the mountains (and crap roads). I've heard mixed reports of the Emonda and BH re: harshness and as I can't get a loaner for the weekend, then I don't really want to buy anything without some forethought and consideration (and advice/thoughts from you guys who do far more mileage than me!).

So that's the dilemma for me at present. Gorgeous bike -v- very lightweight. Comfortable -v-potentially harsh.

Thoughts?

tinozee

by tinozee

Go for the Bianchi and get new wheels later in the year when you get a bonus. Personally I would not buy a Trek and the BH doesn't appeal.

I am a good deal younger than you and still race, but for some reason that Bianchi is appealing! I've seen a a handful of ex-pros on them as well which doesn't hurt.

Lastly, fit is the top priority. I'd choose whichever fits best with the least amount of spacers, weird saddle position, etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

The frame alone is not going to make a huge difference in ride over bumps unless it has suspension of some sort (i.e. Trek Domane). You'd do better for bump absorbtion by running larger tires at lower psi, a long smaller diameter post or a seat with a flexible base.
I have the latter two on my '09 Cervelo R3SL and it's comfortable enough for double centuries for me, and that's on rough California roads.

The R-SYS wheels are extremely unaeodynamic and use old fashioned narrow rims. For the same price or less you could get some decent custom wheels with aluminium rims.

jefftillack

by jefftillack

Thanks eric. I use 25mm Conti 4000's on the TCR and they do soften up the ride a fair bit. I'm not worried about aerodynamics too much on a new bike as I don't go up hills that fast :-)

So the R-Sys aren't that good in your opinion? What do you feel are decent, and light "climbers" wheels (for a decent price - it all has to come in under that magic $5k).

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

I wouldn't buy Mavic wheels - generally very overpriced, and they seem to cater more for the OEM market who must get good deals for them. They're also made very difficult to service.

Another option is this:
http://2013.bikesoul.com/s2/

The Soul S2.0 is the same weight as the R-Sys, but built using basically off-the-shelf parts for $650 AUD shipped. I've run mine for 10000 kms now and they've been a great climbing wheel.

Another option is to get your LBS to build you an equivalent wheel:

http://www.bikehubstore.com/category-s/210.htm - 2 of these, front in 20h, rear in 24h - 2*440g is 880 - $60 each, so $120
http://www.bikehubstore.com/product-p/ulf66.htm - front hub - 66g - $55
http://www.bikehubstore.com/UL190-p/ul190.htm - rear hub - 190g, up to 1136g - $90
http://www.bikehubstore.com/Sapim-CX-Ra ... zscxrs.htm - 44 CX Ray spokes - 200g, 1336g -$3 each, so about $150 if you have a few spares
http://www.bikehubstore.com/product-p/spxn12a.htm - Alloy nipples, 44*.31g is about 15g - $15
http://www.bikehubstore.com/Veloplugs-p/vepl.htm - Veloplugs, about 8g $13

Total is about 1360g, around $450 US + shipping, let's say around $600 AUD shipped + whatever LBS charges for the build.

Or there's these:

http://www.bikehubstore.com/product-p/pacentiwheels.htm

Similar weight, probably slightly heavier but I'd be surprised if it was any more than 100g, but a high quality set.

TL;DR: If you're not going carbon, get handbuilt alloy wheels and choose the parts yourself.

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

Deleted (Repeat)
Last edited by dadoflam08 on Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

Deleted (Repeat post part 2)
Last edited by dadoflam08 on Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

Go BH with DA C24 wheels or Fulcrum Racing Zero Nite wheels if you want the all-black finish (Fulcrum decals are removable) Both are cheaper than the Mavics downunder - the C24s substantially so and both have better hubs. IMO the Fulcrum Zero's are the best production alloy wheel around performance wise.
If you must go Mavic then look at the SLR or SLE versions (stay away from Mavic's carbon spokes - especially on the front) - the 2015 SLR has a new slightly wider, deeper and lighter rim shape than the previous model. The Xalith brake surface is excellent for stopping in all weather.
Handbuilds are nice but the wheels from the three mentioned above are far easier to get fixed in Oz at a local bike shop.
The Bianchi frame is probably a nicer allround frame judging by reviews but BH is a climber and in the scheme of things wheels are probably just as important for climbing as a decent frame if you are strictly working within your budget.
Ignore the Trek.

sethjs

by sethjs

I've had the Infinito CV 2014 model for the last 5 months or so. Can't comment on the BH and Trek.

Net: I love the Infinito. I have it, a Parlee Z5 and a Cervelo RCA. I tend to reach for the Infinito first and have decommissioned the Z5. Why?

Reality: it comes down to fit - it fits me best. I also like its handling dynamics. It's good at soaking up chatter, but not big bumps, which you need an active suspension for. As people have said, wheel & tire make the biggest difference on overall comfort. I can make the RCA as comfortable as the Infinito by putting older 303s on the RCA and Firecrests on the Infinito - boom, they both absorb road irregularities about the same. But put the Firecrest 303s on the RCA and it's well harsher than the Infinito.

So I can definitely vote for the Infinito. Make sure you get the wheels right, though. Customer HED Belgiums, cx-ray spokes and Chris King hubs are super comfy and weigh about 1500 grams. 303 Firecrests won't help your comfort goal. I'm not sure on the Enves as I've not ridden them. Agree with others that carbon wheels with a deep V is pretty outdated at this point.

kgt

by kgt

Bianchi of course (with future wheelset upgrade).
BH is not that comfortable in comparison. Trek is just boring...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dirty32

by Dirty32

If you are looking at the Bianchi, I dont think that the other bikes you've listed are a fair comparo.

The Infinito CV is an 'endurance / relaxed geo frame'. Direct competition is more so the Giant Defy, Cannondale Synapse, Specialized Roubaix, Focus Cayo, Scott Solace and the Domane from Trek.

Out of those, the Bianchi is probably the best looker or most lusty frame, but I would have thought the Giant to be the best value for money. You can get the Defy Advanced Pro 0 with Ultegra 6870 Di2 & Hyd. Disc brakes for around $3700 (give or take, in Oz) and you could get a nice set of handbuilt disc rims on some WI T11 disk hubs or whatever with the extra.

If you are open to the BH and the Emonda, you've got another full complement of proper racey or climbing type bikes that'd be in the same league that'd be worth considering... Spec Tarmac, Bianchi Sempre, Giant TCR, Cannondale Supersix, Focus Izalco etc. etc.

I think you've really got to get an idea of what it is that you are really looking for, before you start narrowing down what bike it is you want. What was it about the bikes you enquired about that piqued your interest? There are gonna be some awesome clearance deals out there, you might pick something up on the cheap, or higher specced than what you are currently looking at for the same dough... Just something to bear in mind!