C59 Electronic Owners - Di2 Compatibility

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

quattrorings

by quattrorings

I have always wanted a C59 and have the opportunity to get a 2014 electronic model with the bosses on the bottom of the downtube - not the later dual mechanical/electronic version.

I plan to fit the latest Di2. Can the battery pack still be hidden in the seatpost and the grommets/screws put in the unused bosses on the downtube. Any disadvantages with this approach ?

Ta

Andy

Zoro

by Zoro

Hi Andy,
We have both generations Di2. I don't know what a C59 is but I don't know its relevant.
Yes - the 9000 series seat post battery we've had on two bikes. One had a round seat post and the other a Venge, we just drop the battery down the tube. I would advise going a bit longer on the wires than what is often the standard.
Also - you didn't ask - but if internal wiring, Park has a new cool tool. I have not used it, but it sure looks like it beats electrical tape and wire coat hangers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zoro

by Zoro

Others are know to wrap the battery in bubble wrap. I didn't do this as I thought it would get stuck. I would not do a lot of cobbles with this setup, but then I wouldn't do Di2 with cobbles.

showdown

by showdown

Yup it certainly can.

You'll have to improvise a solution for fixing the battery in the seatpost as the Colnago post isn't Di2 equipped.

I went to the hardware store and grabbed a whole bunch of different sized rubber grommets and "o" rings and found some that fit. Elegant, weighs almost nothing and in a year of racing and riding the C59 the battery never moved including when racing over cobbles.

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

Yes, I have this setup on my C59. I wrap handlebar tap around the Shimano Di2 battery until the diameter is just enough to stay in the seat post. Has been working well for the last two years.