Deda Superleggera or 3T Ergonova Team ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gmakris

by gmakris

I have superleggera stem and handlebar installed on my sworks. Always use torque tools and paste...for my 66kgrs and 1020watt max never had any issues.

TonyMM

by TonyMM

coneill0422 wrote:I have some 3T Ergonova Team Stealth Bars and they are nice (just got them) the only thing that I would say about them is that when you get your bar tape, make sure it is the thinnest stuff they make. I accidentally ordered some Fizik 3mm bar tape and I had to take them off because it made the "Ergo" bars too big.

Well looking at the 3T Ergonova makes me feel that it might be to big in its diameter for my hands (size S/M)...still unsure :|

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

coneill0422

by coneill0422

They are comfortable bars if you are on the tops a lot, I am when I climb...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by 11.4

I'm riding Ergonovas in the alloy, Team carbon and Limited versions, both on the track and on the road, all with either Thomson X4 stems or Deda alloy team stealth stems. All the Ergonovas are 38's and my stems are long, 140 mm.

I tried the Dedas and found them stiff and quite absorbent of road vibration, but probably because the wall thickness was a bit thinner. The larger diameter doesn't necessarily make them more durable but it makes them quite stiff. In the end, going to a slightly broader steer clamping surface on the Thomson X4 gave me more stiffness than changing the bars. It's the steer that flexes more than the stem, and the bars become much much stiffer when you go down to a 38.

Comparing them, you are aware that the Ergonovas are a couple centimeters narrower at the levers than in the drops?

Last thing I worry about is whether the Ergonova Limiteds can take clip-on bars. Seriously? If I'm buying Limiteds to begin with, I'm going to spend the grand or so on some top-of-the-line aero bars that are much more efficient than some twenty-year-old clip-on designs.

One thing I've noticed with the 35 mm Dedas is that they are subject to caving in or flexing a bit when clamped. The stem clamp doesn't quite tighten up the same way it does on a 31.6 bar, because the bar tends to deform a bit more easily simply because the localized stresses from the stem have an easier time pushing the bar in a bit. I didn't find this happening at the shift levers, in part I think because the bars are curving at that point and that creates a surface more resistant to deflection.

Look, in the end it's about whatever you want to ride and feel comfortable on. Everything else is just going in circles about the issues. I ride the alloy Ergonovas quite a bit because more recent Italian safety standards have increased the wall thicknesses and alloy quality of bars (and thus their weight as well of course) so we don't have the paper-thin alloy bars we had back in the days of Cinelli and other 1990s bars. The alloy bars take a beating in cross, on the track, and on the road, and are as bulletproof as you can get. The weight is something small, especially in a narrower bar. I'd rather get my bike under weight in other areas and then be safe with the bars. But I've not had a problem with any of the carbon versions and use all the versions from time to time in track sprints, cross, and until recently on hilly road courses. If anything flexed, it wasn't the bars.

dieselcruiserhead

by dieselcruiserhead

If it helps, I have an aluminum ergosum compact bar in 44. Its awesome and super stiff and I loved it to death. But I went up to 46 because I'm a big guy. Its pretty much at exactly 200g. I've actually never found an aluminum bar less than that. I'd also consider selling it if it helps as well. I'm now on a thomson 46 carbon but the drop is too much. I'll be going to an easy on ea90 bar instead which is closest to the ergosum bars.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

finnrambo

by finnrambo

fifarafa wrote:finnrambo Could you tell me if superleggera 35 has the same diameter in drops as "usual" superleggera?

I can't imagine them having a different diameter in the drops, the tops will be different yes but it would be pretty difficult if you couldn't slide the shifters up the drops when you were installing them.
Canadian Junior racer and Product Reviewer: Finn Blackburn
Blog: https://finnblackburncycling.wordpress.com/

nestornnk

by nestornnk

Have you thought about the Deda 35?
They are almost perfect..

fogman

by fogman

ToffieBoi wrote:But I heard many times that, Ergonova does not have good shape for campy shifters... We will see :)

I have heard this too. But I still prefer the Ergonova/Campy to the Superleggera/Campy combo. The 3T Ergonova has 7mm less drop but only 2mm more reach than the Deda Superleggara and does seem stiffer.

Here is a photo I posted in a similar thread:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419475344.273617.jpg

I don't really understand why Ergonova is considered not a good shape for Campy.
Last edited by fogman on Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

fogman

by fogman

Sorry, duplicate post.
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

So, what would be the consensus on whether the Deda RHM shape or the Rgonova has better ergonomy for Campag shifters? :)

I'd like to hear about those who use both bends with campagnolo shifters. :(

Dov

by Dov

I have a set of the Superleggerro in 42. If anyone wants them? Can be had for cheap price.
Brooklyn Gangsta V4 with DXR
Cannondale CAAD 10 Track
Cielo Classic Sportif U8000
Cinelli Supercorsa DA9000
Colnago C64 R12
Concorde DA7800
DeRosa Nuovo Classico SR12
Eddy Mercks Corsa Extra Ch12
Felt F1 DA9050
Trek L500

Long time supporter of Rapha
Strava

gmakris

by gmakris

After a crack (my mistake) I switched from Deda Superlegera to 3T ergonova team. The 3T is approx 20gr more and it feels more stiff. I prefer it compared to Deda for :

Better ergonomics
Better cable routing
Clip bar compatible
Better appearance and paint job

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have two set of Deda superleggera handle bars and I have managed not to crack either. 5mm is too much. I do mine to 3 or 4 nm and use a lot of carbon paste.

They may not be the stiffest bars but I can't say I find the flex problem either. Besides I sit down on hills so I am not putting my weight on them.

AJS914

by AJS914

I have the Ergonova Carbon bars with a Deda Superleggera stem. The 3t bars seem plenty strong and stiff. The internally routed cables were a pain to work with.

I don't like the 2 piece front plate on the Deda stem. It works but is harder to install and feel like you are evenly torquing all the bolts.