Super Record 11 front derailleur missing cage clip

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

by 9734344

Hello, I have just registered and this is my first post. I hope somebody can help me please.

I have become the new owner of a Storck Fascenario 0.7 but there is a part missing from the front derailleur. I am not sure how this happened but the plastic clip securing the cages is not there.
This is what it should look like.
but this is what I have.

I have searched around the internet but I cannot find a replacement part anyhere can anybody help.

This is the complete bike
In-case you are wondering the reflectives on the wheels I have put on the to balance the wheels. Have you ever spun up the back wheel whilst the bike is in the stand. The imbalance shakes the bike so much it is ridiculous when they really spin up. The reflective spokeys really do balance the wheels and I think you really notice the difference when you ride, a much smoother ride etc. Can you imagine driving a car if the wheels weren't balanced, that's the difference.

Anyway I hope someone may know where I can get a replacement? It's only a piece of plastic. I'll keep searching on the internet but I might get in contact with Campag and see if they have one or even try and make my own. The derailieur still shifts but I don't think it is right. The new model has a different design that is one piece.

Thanks
Ben.
Last edited by 9734344 on Tue May 12, 2020 11:12 pm, edited 5 times in total.
I'm not a NUMBER.........I'm a Free Man

spud

by spud

you can always try to find a scrap FD and take the part off there...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

I recently had the same problem. My LBS said this part cannot be purchased new.

I was lucky though, as I had a worn out 10 speed front derailleur in my parts box. With a little bit of heat I was able to remove the clip, clean it and crazy glue it to my 11 speed fd. Perfect fit!

I think you could make a clip by shaping and folding some sheet aluminum. That is what I was planning on doing until I realized I an extra on hand.

Interestingly, I road the bike with the plastic clip missing for quite some time, and the fd worked perfectly well. I was thinking of tuning the mech by shaving all the excess material and seeing how small I could make it. It was later on that I realize its function, which is to hold the chain after it has dropped. That way you can grab the chain and place it back on the chainring more easily. Without the clip the chain falls well down around the bb, and then it is more difficult to grab after a chain drop, particularly as the group is riding away!

by 9734344

I have managed to find the whole cage assembly (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371216297533) but it's the same price as a whole derailleur. I might just leave it as is unless it starts to give me grief.

Thanks for the replies, I'm sorry my pictures weren't working originally. I had linked them to a OneDrive account and though they showed up fine in the preview, this did not work in reality. I have now linked them to a Flickr account and everything seems to be working.

Cheers.

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

That ebay auction is too much money. I'd check around and try and locate an old one, remembering that 10 speed Super Record has the same clip as well.

Because the FD works so well without the clip I'd still be interested in tuning it to it smallest possible size. Looks to me like one can whack a lot of material off the mech, yet still have it function properly.

While I wouldn't advise doing this modification for racing or aggressive group rides, it would be fine otherwise.

Good luck!

Spinnekop

by Spinnekop

I also lost a clip on my SR 11sp.

This is where you need a 3D printer and just do it yourself.
"In my experience, there is only one motivation, and that is DESIRE.
No reason or principle contain it or stand against it........"

by 9734344

Yeahh, 3-D printers are definitely up there alongside infinite skill, I just don't know which one I'll acquire first - ha. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a small block of Balsa wood lying by the side of the road as I already have the drill and saw though - ha ha.

em3

by em3

unfortunately the tab holding together the carbon cages on 10 and 11 speed front mechs is a weak point in the design. As others have said, you can't order part by itself and its only available with the full cage assembly. After the tab on my SR 11 broke, I bought a Chorus mech on eBay for $40 and simply changed the whole cage assembly with the alloy Chorus cage. So I have essentially converted my SR front mech to an SR-RS front mech with alloy cage...resulting in a stiffer and better shifting front mech. EM3

fishyskawa

by fishyskawa

The push plate cannot be replaced since it is put in with resin at the factory. The cage has to be replaced and there is a special tool only Campagnolo service centers have. Are you in the US? Try contacting Campagnolo and see if they will warranty it. From what I understand they likely will.

em3

by em3

fishyskawa wrote:The cage has to be replaced and there is a special tool only Campagnolo service centers have.

...replacing the cage is a DIY 10 min job that only requires a bit of finesse and know how, but no special tools [/code]

BRM

by BRM

you easily can make yourself something to refurbsh the FD
use a small bolt, or make something of aluminium

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

^This.

tommasini

by tommasini

9734344 wrote:Hello, I have just registered and this is my first post. I hope somebody can help me please.

I have become the new owner of a Storck Fascenario 0.7 but there is a part missing from the front derailleur. I am not sure how this happened but the plastic clip securing the cages is not there.
This is what it should look like.
but this is what I have.

I have searched around the internet but I cannot find a replacement part anyhere can anybody help.

Anyway I hope someone may know where I can get a replacement? It's only a piece of plastic. I'll keep searching on the internet but I might get in contact with Campag and see if they have one or even try and make my own. The derailieur still shifts but I don't think it is right. The new model has a different design that is one piece.

Thanks
Ben.

You said that you were the "New Owner".......If a shop built it up NEW then they very likely broke it and it needs to be replaced by them - no?

If you bought used and you are the next owner - I would contact the seller - as the front der. is not fit for purpose. That plastic part is not available through Campy. As one poster noted - you could buy a beat up (in other areas) front der and try to heat/remove/reglue the new. Would I trust it?.....not 50 miles into a century ride that I've looked forward to for a long time.......
Last edited by tommasini on Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ferrarista

by ferrarista

As the others have said, the rear black plastic tab is not available on its own. Campy replaces the cage under warranty when that happens. Usually its 4 years warranty for 11 speed parts.

I have a used super record cage in very good condition that I can sell you cheap. Also have a brand new 11 speed chorus cage. Send me a PM if interested.
██

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Can't buy them new?

I about five of them a few years ago from my local...who also imported Campagnolo too...I haven't needed to use them yet...