Helmets: Smith Overtake, Giro Synthe, Kask Vertigo

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

coneill0422

by coneill0422

ms6073 wrote:
coneill0422 wrote:I have a Lazer Helium that I really should replace since it was in a slight crash

I have always liked Lazer's rollsys retention system and am curious why you would not consider replacing with a Helium MIPS or the new Z1?

I really wanted to try something different, after having a Lazer Genesis and then a Lazer Helium I wanted to possibly try something more aero (and I found a great deal on a Kask so thought I would consider them as well). Loved the comfort of the Lazer but the Genesis drove me nuts with the inability it has to store your sunglasses and the Helium's looks leave something to be desired. The Z1 is cool looking but at $270 a pop I wanted to try something with some more value for the dollar (aero advantage possibly).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

coneill0422 wrote:The Z1 is cool looking but at $270 a pop I wanted to try something with some more value for the dollar (aero advantage possibly).

I store the Oakleys in the vents in the back of my Helium but until this thread prompted a visit to the Lazersport site, was not actually aware of the new Z1. After posting my response, I got to thinking about the Z1 with its 31-vents compared to 19 for our Heliums, and decided to leverage my team discount and ordered a Z1s for the wife and I. 8)
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

CharlesM

by CharlesM

The Overtake simply does not vent as well as the design promises...

coneill0422

by coneill0422

That is what it seems on the overtake, though I think the matte black looks good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryan0380

by ryan0380

Have just spotted a good deal on a Kask vertigo so think I will invest, i like the look of the black one.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

I just got a Synthe. It's an interesting helmet, with a fitting system similar to what I have seen in Lazer helmets where the helmet doesn't sit directly on your head but floats above it a touch. It's nice.

If I have once concern, it's the little bump over the temples where the outer edge of the shell dips down. Some folks, depending on the height of the heads, may find that bump getting in the way of the ear stems of their shades.

by 11.4

I've owned all three now. The Kask Vertigo fits differently from the Mojito, so can't be compared. The Kask has more foam and a slightly lower brow than the other two helmets you inquired about, so there's less ventilation right on the forehead. The top of your head does fine, but I find you get more perspiration down your forehead in hot weather and on climbs. The overall sizing is slightly smaller on the Vertigo as well -- I fit a large in any helmet and the Kask just barely fit (no room for even a cap underneath). It's beautifully made, however, and the top ventilates well -- it's my favorite helmet just for the quality and the looks.

The Overtake is simply hot. Charles said it -- it doesn't ventilate as well. I use it for cold weather riding and that's about it. Not a contender unless you live in Manitoba.

The Synthe is interesting and I'm on the fence about it. The ventilation isn't as good as, say, a Laser Helium, but it's more structurally sound than most of the Giro line. I can't say I'm sold. Fit is slightly different from most Giros and the straps seem to mount a little differently -- you should try it before buying. At least it has more size, if you need it, than the Vertigo.

The Vertigo is simply a gorgeous helmet. It gives you this forehead hot spot and it's slightly smaller than the others, but it's hands down the best of the bunch if those aren't a problem. The suspension, the strap, and so on are all first rate. Frankly, it's just a helmet built to protect and it does that really well. That's why the forehead isn't as cool -- it's not where you want to get hit and kudos to Kask for putting more protection there. We should remember that these things are not there to cool our head; it's to protect it.