Helmets: Smith Overtake, Giro Synthe, Kask Vertigo

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

coneill0422

by coneill0422

Anyone have any thoughts on the best helmet of the 3? I have a Lazer Helium that I really should replace since it was in a slight crash (ended in a separated shoulder but no visible crack in the foam). I mostly am interested in all white or black (mostly prefer a matte finish). Though I would throw up the question here since two of them are fairly new releases.

ryan0380

by ryan0380

I do like the look of that giro but sorry no feedback on any of the above

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

em3

by em3

...it all depends on what you are looking for . Are you seeking an aero helmet or something lightweight/high ventilation? The two are somewhat mutually exclusive. EM3

lrdunc

by lrdunc

Can't speak to these, but I do love my Kask Mojito :) Light, plenty ventilated, very very comfortable...

coneill0422

by coneill0422

I really like comfort if I am being honest, I like the Aero idea and would take it as long as it isn't making me miserable. I live in the upper northeast (ohio) so it does't get above 100, if that helps.

greg755

by greg755

I've been waiting for the Overtake. I tried it on at Interbike and it was very comfortable. I know everyone has different shape heads, but for me this helmet seemed tailor made.

micky

by micky

I think the Giro Synthe just started to get delivered? At least here in Europe it's starting to appearing here and there on sale so I don't think you'll get many reviews on it.

stoney

by stoney

Not one of your choices but I love my LG Course.

coneill0422

by coneill0422

greg755 wrote:I've been waiting for the Overtake. I tried it on at Interbike and it was very comfortable. I know everyone has different shape heads, but for me this helmet seemed tailor made.

The Smith Overtake does look different and I really like the look, one of the guys I ride with alot just got the Synthe. It looks cool and is really light but doesn't seem all that comfortable. My old Lazer helium was super comfortable but a little heavy and I'm not a huge fan of the look of colors anymore. Good to hear about the smith bring comfortable, haven't really heard of anyone that actually tried the thing on.

jeffy

by jeffy

i wanted to love Kask as i found a great deal on a Mojito, but it was very much for round heads.
Giro's were a bit meh but fine.

After using a Lazer i am convinced that their roll-sys retention system makes for the most comfortable fit - and i am only using the 02.
I wouldn't consider another brand

yongkun

by yongkun

Tried the vertigo recently and was not impressed, heavier and does not vent as well as the other top helmets like aeon, etc. But I do like the design much better, the strap and internal foam are top notch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

martinSL
Shop Owner

by martinSL

Huge fan of vertigo here. Most comfortable for me and many of my teammates. Ventilation was a bit of a concern but it really works well in high heat (and I get hot easily). Just got the new Vertigo 2.0. More or less the same with nano improvements. Weight is decent too: M is 246 and L is 258 grams.
Have not tried the other ones
----------------------------------------------
Racing and Training Cycling Tires
www.tiremaniacs.com

ms6073

by ms6073

coneill0422 wrote:I have a Lazer Helium that I really should replace since it was in a slight crash

I have always liked Lazer's rollsys retention system and am curious why you would not consider replacing with a Helium MIPS or the new Z1?
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

stanseven

by stanseven

I like the looks of Kask but very few places stock them to try them on. My size is right between their medium and large and unlike most other manufacturers, there's no overlap between sizes. In fact Kask has a void or gap between M and L.

stanseven

by stanseven

I like the looks of Kask but very few places stock them to try them on. My size is right between their medium and large and unlike most other manufacturers, there's no overlap between sizes. In fact Kask has a void or gap between M and L.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com