New shoes for 2015 - I want ORANGE

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

davidalone

by davidalone

do you have access to a LAKE dealer? they can do custom shoes for you:

get them to d something like this but in a road version...

http://www.cxmagazine.com/lake-cycling- ... -shoe-2014

Dirty32

by Dirty32

If you are going to bother with 'full' custom, Luck might be worth a look / enquiry...

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/10/power-meter-shoes-and-a-factory-tour-behind-the-scenes-with-luck/

Custom material, design, last / fit... The whole lot!
Looks pretty cool.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

martinSL
Shop Owner

by martinSL

There are some differences in the fit within these models. I am a huge fan of Gaerne. G Chrono and G Kobra are awesome. New G. Sincro and G. Stilo have even better look and the same exceptional glove like fit IMHO. I am waiting for the orange model as well :-) Chrono and Stilo are super light too.

Northwave T Plus is extremely well made shoe too and light but is a bit wider than Gaerne - it does not fit me that well.
I like a lot BOA L5 closing of Gaerne. Northwave's closing system is good too but not as easy to use when wearing overboots.
----------------------------------------------
Racing and Training Cycling Tires
www.tiremaniacs.com

tinozee

by tinozee

Too bad there aren't more colors of the Wire. Did you ever try a sidi with the adjustable heel retention thing? It works well for me. The high end Gearne and Sidi models are the only shoe lasts that fit my long, narrow feet and have proper arch support in the last (not relying on a pile/mess of insoles or shims). Giro last is so flat it kills me. The lasts of the shoes, and how that effects position of leg/knee tracking is huge. Using cleat or insole shims to repair those alignment issues is not ideal imo, it's better to get the shoe right first.

sawyer

by sawyer

Gaerne G Stilo look like S-works

Anyone tried both and can comment on fit ?
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

kenmical

by kenmical

Giro Empire SLX +1!

Owned a pair of Empire ACC and loving it for the classic look, adjustability, stiffness and comfort.

kgt

by kgt

IMHO velcro is not a 2015 option...

martinSL
Shop Owner

by martinSL

sawyer wrote:Gaerne G Stilo look like S-works

Anyone tried both and can comment on fit ?

Gaerne (all top end) holds the heel much better IMO (based on try-and-walk rather than ride in Specs)
www.tiremaniacs.com

martinSL
Shop Owner

by martinSL

A quick summary of latest Gaerne shoes
I have been in Carbon G Chronos and carb comp G Kobras for last 2 seasons - the best shoes I have ever had. The fit, the stiffness (I wanted a bit of flex in Kobras for CX racing and occasional MTB walking), the weight, durability, look, maintenance
The web images of the 2015 models made me go yeah, I want them as long as they will fit similarly to previous models
I just received few Carbon G Stilos, carbon G Sincros, and carb comp Chronos and Kobras.
No. 1 - the look is amazing
No. 2 - Chronos and Kobras fit identically to previous models and have micro modifications that don't seem to be noticeable except of visual
No. 3 - Stilos and Sincros seem to run a little larger than Chronos and Kobras. The initial fit (for me) is not as ideal as in the Chronos\Kobras. There seem to be three reasons for it: they have slightly more volume (primarily in the toe box) (while having the same length), the internal padding is softer and the upper itself seems to be softer (making you feel as you are not wearing the shoe at all. I resolved the larger volume issue with the SOLE Softec Response 16mm thick insole (slightly thicker than the original) - this made the shoe fit again perfectly.

Did about 40 miles today on the road in Carbon G. Stilos. Felt excellent but not noticeably better than Chronos. The fit again superb; super stiff carbon sole, top notch heel grab, and new BOA dials (incremental in, incremental out and full out) are working great. The upper was so soft it made me feel as I was pedaling bare foot. The usual excellent power transfer and the killer look - it really is a piece of art. I do not care about the velcro strap and wish the BOA lacing system was dealing with the front of the shoe too but it's not a biggy.

Overall for me Chrono and Kobra is perfection right out of the box. Sincro and Stilo will be great for folks with slightly wider feet or will require a thicker insole. I think I might try race MTB\CX next season in full carbon sole Sincros or Kobras (will I gain or lose few seconds?). In Gaerne road offering the carbon comp for is noticeably (bit but significantly) less stiff (I actually use them on the trainer) - this would be a great option for riders\racers on the budget and those who do not care about the max stiffness.

Ventilation was not tested as it was dry mid 40s today and I had DeFeet booties on (loved using the BOA dials in any sort of booties - no prob at all). Visually older 2013 and early 2014 Chronos and Kobras seem to have more ventilation than the newer models but this is just visual.

The heel cup (in 2015 models) remains as wide as it used to be so some touching against the chainstays will be happening.

Size comparo to Sidi (Wire/Drako 43) and Mavic (ZXellium, Cosmic Ult, Fury 42 2/3) - Chrono and Kobra (43) are the same. Stilo and Sincro have more volume as described above.

Cheers
www.tiremaniacs.com

martinSL
Shop Owner

by martinSL

I have been asked to post more details on GAERNE sizing. Based on tests of sizes 43 and 44 here is what we have found:

- 2015 and earlier Chrono and Kobra fits like SIDI with some extra room in front of the toes
    - 2015 Stilo and Sincro fits like 1 size larger SIDI (Stilo 42 = SIDI 43)

Example:
    - SIDI 43 fits you perfectly or is slightly wide or slightly narrow -> any Chrono/Kobra 43 and 2015 Stilo/Sincro 42 will fit you very well
    - SIDI 43 fits you well length-wise AND IS WAY TOO WIDE -> any Chrono/Kobra 42 and 2015 Stilo/Sincro 42 will fit you very well
    - SIDI 43 fits you well length-wise AND IS TOO NARROW -> 2015 Stilo/Sincro 43 will fit you very well unless your foot is ULTR-WIDE

comparison only against SIDI as this is the only latest model brand we have available for comparison and we know they run fairly consistent across all latest model [with exception of latest Kaos and Cape which run slightly smaller])
www.tiremaniacs.com