Campagnolo mechanical 2015 (Mix & Match)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nd2rc

by nd2rc

I'm really digging on the 2015 Campy, and it'd have to be Chorus with my budget, but now I'm seeing killer deals on 2014 Campy and they are putting SR and R in my price range. Anyone have any reservations on earlier Campy to the new 2015?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

nd2rc wrote:I'm really digging on the 2015 Campy, and it'd have to be Chorus with my budget, but now I'm seeing killer deals on 2014 Campy and they are putting SR and R in my price range. Anyone have any reservations on earlier Campy to the new 2015?

Last weekend I was riding my friends Pinarello with 80th year limited SR.
This monday I built my bike with 2015 Chorus.

What I see so far is, softer FD action. Upshift on RD needs a bit less force.

If you can wait a bit to decide, I can write here my ride experiences after my first ride.

nd2rc

by nd2rc

I've got a bit of time and would love to read some real world feedback before buying.

Spanielsson

by Spanielsson

I'm in a similar position. I've got a brand new 2014 Chorus shifting kit that I'm keeping for a build that will happen in the next few weeks. I'm lucky that the parts I've already bought have a 365 day returns policy, so I'm wondering do I send them back and get 2015 Chorus, or stick with what I already have?!

has the improvement Shimano made when they moved to 11 speed mechanical been replicated in Campagnolo's performance?

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

I'm wondering if I get the 2015 crankset what is the best set up to go in a 2012 BMC SLR with BB86 bottom bracket. What sort of converter or anything I need for the new crankset to fit in

hornedfrog

by hornedfrog

All you need is the bb86 campy cups

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

^^Sweet! didn't know Campy made any.

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

beeatnik wrote:Some believe there is a difference in smoothness and modulation between SR/Record brakes and Chorus since Record/SR use micro ball bearings in pivots, with Chorus using bushings. SR saves weight with some Ti bits but they're still close to 300g. However, the new 2015 Chorus brakes are 305g (10-15g lighter than 2009-2014 Chorus). Interesting thing about 2015 Chorus brakes, they don't seem to be officially part of the new Chorus gruppo. The Campagnolo website doesn't show them on the Chorus group page:

http://www.campagnolo.com/US/en/Compone ... rus_brakes

And full groups seem to be shipping with the 2009-2014 design.

Also, press reports (velonews, cyclingnews, bike radar) have indicated that the skeleton brake line was not updated for any level.

http://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/news/a ... -in-43101/
"While the brake calipers, chain, and cassette are unchanged (save for a new wide-range 11-29T option on the cassette), the rest of the group has undergone a rather massive transformation...."

"One of the only areas of disappointment on the new groupset is the brakes, which are unchanged from last year and notably lacking in performance relative to the competition."

In any case, there is a new 2015 Chorus brake (check the machining on the pivot) and it has more clearance along with the redesigned shoe which makes swapping pads super easy.

btw, a few above have mentioned an SR chain. There's no SR chain, only Record and Chorus.

I think I have the new Chorus brakes...

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

nd2rc wrote:I'm really digging on the 2015 Campy, and it'd have to be Chorus with my budget, but now I'm seeing killer deals on 2014 Campy and they are putting SR and R in my price range. Anyone have any reservations on earlier Campy to the new 2015?

Sorry for late answer. Weather was terrible here in last 2 weeks.

So what I can say is;
FD action needs less effort. Also, there is no trim on big ring. I liked it.
RD is the same. I think it is because I compared Chorus to SR, but RD action felt a bit harder. Especially the thumb shifter definitely needs more effort. (On SR, while I'm on tops, I could use it with my pinky finger. Couldn't on Chorus) I don't know if its the same between the same years.
I really liked the 2015 cranks, they look great. Felt really stiff. Changes are good, no pain at all.
Brakes, chain and cassette is the same with old one so...

My final thoughts are;
Changes in Campy weren't that dramatic like 6700 to 6800 Ultegra. It is better, but I can't say that changes are huge. It still feels like Campy, works like Campy...

Only my opinion ofc :)

nd2rc

by nd2rc

Awesome, well for the smashing deals that are out there on 2014 Record and Super Record, I might go that way. Then again, I just love the "latest and greatest" so maybe 2015 Chorus. UGH! The decisions!

9x12man

by 9x12man

In the end I have gone with full Chorus 2015 and a Record chain. I would have liked Record shifters and RD, but I wanted to keep the cost down. Record shifters and RD would have added £100.

All in I spent £700 on:

Record chain
Chorus RD
Chorus FD
Chorus dual pivot brakes
Chorus shifters
Chorus chainset 52/36

Considering the quality of the kit, that's great value. Especially knowing that I spent £1,400 (approx) on full super record in 2013.

Maybe the ultimate is Chorus throughout, with a SR chainset and ceramic pullies, who knows. What I do know is that all this competition is creating some incredible mechanical groupsets.

I'll post pictures once the bike is rebuilt. It's going onto a resprayed wilier cento 1sr. The original paint work was peeling off in the wind. Seriously.

9x12man

by 9x12man

Also I will have Chorus 2015 on one bike and SR 2013 on the other, so for anyone interested I'll post my thoughts on both once I have had a few days of riding on the 2015 gear.

megastream

by megastream

9x12man wrote:In the end I have gone with full Chorus 2015 and a Record chain. I would have liked Record shifters and RD, but I wanted to keep the cost down. Record shifters and RD would have added £100.

All in I spent £700 on:

Record chain
Chorus RD
Chorus FD
Chorus dual pivot brakes
Chorus shifters
Chorus chainset 52/36

Considering the quality of the kit, that's great value. Especially knowing that I spent £1,400 (approx) on full super record in 2013.

Maybe the ultimate is Chorus throughout, with a SR chainset and ceramic pullies, who knows. What I do know is that all this competition is creating some incredible mechanical groupsets.

I'll post pictures once the bike is rebuilt. It's going onto a resprayed wilier cento 1sr. The original paint work was peeling off in the wind. Seriously.

Thats a good price for the Group - mind sharing where that's from?

9x12man

by 9x12man

Ribble cycles. I was looking at shiny bikes, but ribble are the cheapest. I spent ages looking. There is quite a variation in pricing out there.

octav

by octav

I have a Super Record 2011 model (red) Rear Derailleur.
I want to upgrade the levers from Record 10 to Super Record. Should I buy the 2015 model or pre 2015?
It will work with 2015 levers? Has somebody tried it? The price difference is not that big between 2015 and pre 2015.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com