Campagnolo mechanical 2015 (Mix & Match)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

9x12man

by 9x12man

I'm about to build up a bike with campagnolo mechanical 2015. I can't afford the entire super record groupo, and don't want chorus on its own. I want some bling, but not something that costs the earth. I'm guessing this is something that many other people think about when they buy a campagnolo group set.

The bling:price ratio got me thinking about mix and matching. What would be the best combination?

Some personal rules. I like mechanical and I did think about dura ace 9000. However I'm hoping we keep to just discussing the mechanical 2015 offerings from campy.

At the moment I'm thinking:

Shifters: Record
Front deraileur: Chorus
Rear deraileur: Record
Chainset: Chorus
Brakes: Record dual pivot
Cassette: Chorus

Why: Bling with the rd and shifters; big price saving with chainset; and durability in cassette.

What would your combination be?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Denavelo

by Denavelo

Best combo would be to save up and just get Super Record 11.

Hawk ebay like dying prey and you'll find deals on SR11.

I got an entire SR11 shifting group for $600 once. New Shifters/RD/FD and SR11 chain.

Even on here someone sold a SR11 partial group for $550.. Just be patient and get Super Record.
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

savechief

by savechief

It's going to be a while before deals like that can be found on 2015 pieces. I'd go for all Chorus, then use the money saved to get some eebrakes for bling. This assumes you already have nice wheels. Why are you so opposed to all Chorus, are your riding buddies that superficial?
Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

I know that 2014 and prior Chorus has the exact same function as Record and Super Record, just a few gram savings in weight due to lighter materials. I would bet it's the same for 2015.

I'm using Chorus with ceramic pulleys. Performs flawlessly. I like the red in the logos but I can live without it.

I should mention that I use a Super Record Ultra Torque Crankset because of the the Cult Bearings.

jrobart

by jrobart

I have a similar approach on my Seven Axiom SL with 2011 components. Super Record SRM crank and rear d, record brakes, chorus shifters, front d, chain and cassette.
Current: Seven 622 SLX | Seven OVRLND XX | Fondriest Carbon Magister | Yeti SB100 |
Retired: Litespeed T5G | Seven Axiom SL| Seven Mudhoney SL|S Works Crux |Fat CAAD 1 |

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

In terms of best weight I am pretty sure that if you go Chorus for shifters and der's and SR for chainset, brakes and cassette you will end up with the lightest combo for a good price. I am running 2015 SR and one thing I can say is that the 2015 graphics are smaller than previous iterations - no so easy for anyone to tell what you are using apart from the very small red flash on the SR.
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

I'm running Chorus with Red Quarq crankset, eebrakes and upgraded pulleys in the rear mech. No performance gain from going to SR on shifters and mechs so I spend the money elsewhere.

boysa

by boysa

Shifters: Record
FrDer: Chorus
RearDer: Record
Crankset: SRAM Quarq Exo
Rings: Praxis
Chain: Record
Brakes: Chorus
Cassette: Chorus

It all started as SR, but racing, and racing often, things break. I'm pretty happy with the set up now. I'll be building up something in the spring, however, and not sure what I'll do. Possibly full Chorus. Maybe electronic.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

9x12man

by 9x12man

Thanks for the comments. I could save more by using chorus brakes. However I thought there was a slight difference in functionality. Is it just a weight difference, but everything else is the same? If so I'll switch to chorus brakes

kgt

by kgt

Shifters: Chorus (Same weight as SR, equal performance)
FD: Chorus (Same weight as SR and better performance - pros prefer it)
RD: Chorus (15gr heavier than SR, equal performance)
Crankset: Super Record (lighter, better performance - cult bearings etc.)
Chain: Chorus (6gr heavier than SR, equal performance but lasts longer)
Brakes: (lighter, sexier)
Cassette: Chorus (15gr heavier than SR, equal performance but lasts longer)

9x12man

by 9x12man

Thanks for your input @kgt. I'm inclined to agree with you 100% having just been looking through the spec sheets.

If we just consider the FD, RD, crankset, shifters, cassette and brakes there is less than 200g difference between SR and Chorus. So weight is a non-issue. To me what is then most important is functionality. Is there a differentiation between SR / R / Chorus for each of the key components. This is what I have come up with personally:

Shifters: SR / R / Chorus - weight is the difference
FD: SR / R / Chorus - weight is the difference, but Chorus offers better performance long term
RD: SR / R / Chorus - weight is the difference
Crankset: SR is lighter and offers improved functionality (CULT etc)
Brakes (dual pivot): SR / R / Chorus - weight is the difference
Cassette: Chorus is most robust offering

So @kgt, you're right. Basically the best setup may well be majority Chorus with a SR crankset.

Harmitc

by Harmitc

It's always been said that if you race and your paying the bills, then chose Chorus. I love Campagnolo, SR has the beauty, but basic Chorus functionality is no different.

beeatnik

by beeatnik

Some believe there is a difference in smoothness and modulation between SR/Record brakes and Chorus since Record/SR use micro ball bearings in pivots, with Chorus using bushings. SR saves weight with some Ti bits but they're still close to 300g. However, the new 2015 Chorus brakes are 305g (10-15g lighter than 2009-2014 Chorus). Interesting thing about 2015 Chorus brakes, they don't seem to be officially part of the new Chorus gruppo. The Campagnolo website doesn't show them on the Chorus group page:

http://www.campagnolo.com/US/en/Compone ... rus_brakes

And full groups seem to be shipping with the 2009-2014 design.

Also, press reports (velonews, cyclingnews, bike radar) have indicated that the skeleton brake line was not updated for any level.

http://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/news/a ... -in-43101/
"While the brake calipers, chain, and cassette are unchanged (save for a new wide-range 11-29T option on the cassette), the rest of the group has undergone a rather massive transformation...."

"One of the only areas of disappointment on the new groupset is the brakes, which are unchanged from last year and notably lacking in performance relative to the competition."

In any case, there is a new 2015 Chorus brake (check the machining on the pivot) and it has more clearance along with the redesigned shoe which makes swapping pads super easy.

btw, a few above have mentioned an SR chain. There's no SR chain, only Record and Chorus.

boysa

by boysa

I'm not sure, but those look exactly like the '14 Chorus brakes I bought this year. As far as feel, they are great. I compared them side by side with my SR set, and found them to be just as good. I mean, they're brakes... Maybe not QUITE as smooth, but it's certainly not something I think about when I am riding. Saved quite a bit of money, too.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

c50jim

by c50jim

If you're in for bling, it's tough to mate Chorus and the two Records because of the red accents on Record/SR. I have two 11 speed Chorus groups, two Record and a Super Record EPS. Obviously 2014 or prior but the mechanical groups all work the same and I'd expect that not to change in 2015. It hasn't since I started using Campy in 1995 so why would it change now? Saving a few bucks with Chorus cassette and chain makes sense, any other mixing will be noticeable.