Making the leap to Campy - from Red and Di2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

everytime you use zero adjustment on campy, you must go through the entire process. with di2, make your quick adjustment and go. the micro shift adjustment on campy is really worthless unless you do the zero adjustment first.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Harmitc

by Harmitc

How often do you go through zero adjustment apart from the first set up? Micro adjustment then works great if you do a wheel change?

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

zero adjustment used if you change wheels or different cranks, which changes the chainline.

Radiokopf

by Radiokopf

I ride the Athena EPS. I had issues with the battery after installation. What really sucks is the fact that the wires are fixed to the battery[emoji107] you can not separate them. So go di2.

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk

AndreLM

by AndreLM

Radiokopf wrote:What really sucks is the fact that the wires are fixed to the battery

This!

It was the main reason why I went with Di2. A damaged cable means a new battery / main unit, and a new wiring installation. I simply cannot understand the design decision... Maybe issues with Shimano patents?

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

AndreLM wrote:
Radiokopf wrote:What really sucks is the fact that the wires are fixed to the battery

This!

It was the main reason why I went with Di2. A damaged cable means a new battery / main unit, and a new wiring installation. I simply cannot understand the design decision... Maybe issues with Shimano patents?
Seeing as the cables are all internal, what are you worried about?

bfno

by bfno

seanblurr wrote:The thumb lever rocks, no doubt about that. Also, no reason to get rid of any wheels Spookload. I run a red 22 chain and will have an 1190 cassette on my Super Record bike soon. I like the red22 cassette the best.

Hey Bfno, got a build thread for your Venge? I just ordered the frame.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=126538

Not a build as such but a final build and weight :)

I am leaning towards Di2 still at the moment just for simplicity I suppose as I already have the chargers and what not. Also having a bit of a look, the EPS seems less 'smart' in terms of cabling as each cable has to be plugged into the right slot and doesn't have the same level of customisation as the Di2. I guess the final decision will come down to what frame I get and whether it 'deserves' EPS as from a weight weenies perspective Di2 is the choice.
Venge | Shiv TT | Langster | Dogma 60.1 | CruX | Aeroad CF SLX (WIP)

Geoff

by Geoff

As a rule, I do not like Shimano. Having said that, Di2 is fantastic. I was on Di2 groups before there was EPS and was really worried that when it finally came, Di2 would be better. Fortunately, Campagnolo came through and EPS is better than Di2 in just about every respect.

The one weakness of EPS versus Di2, though, is the battery. If you 'forget' to charge the Di2, no problem, you just throw-on another battery. With the EPS, you cannot do that. Now, obviously, you should never have that problem because only an idiot would not regularly check battery status...right? :oops:

dofman

by dofman

Do you have any complaints with the di2 on your cross bike?

AndreLM

by AndreLM

ultimobici wrote:Seeing as the cables are all internal, what are you worried about?

They are external from the junction box up to entering the frame, and also close to the derailleurs. I know the risk of damage, in a crash is not that high, but it exists.

If that happens, a simple cut cable means a dead main unit. This doesn't look like a good design decision to me.

I liked the thumb shifter in my mechanical Athena though, even having some trouble on reaching them on the drops. I think the EPS shifters would be much better... And I agree that bar shape also helps a lot.

Geoff

by Geoff

@dofman, I used to think that the raison d'être for electronic shifting was TT. I was wrong, it's 'cross.

With electronic shifting, you don't need to do anything more than touch a button to ensure a shift, even on an ice-clogged cassette (which is kinda the norm, just not this season). If you can find a couple of old Di2 sets, that would be about perfect (10-speed vs. 11-speed).

Some people think you don't need to run a chain-catcher with Di2, but that is not really a good idea. An ounce of prevention...

wingguy

by wingguy

austke wrote:Wow, I'm surprised how many like the thumb shifter.
I have both ST EPS and DI2 9070.
And hate the thumb shifter. Cannot change gear in the drops no matter how much I try. I have to lift hand up and over hoods to change gear.

Seriously? I think you either have deformed hands, deformed bars, or you're doing it wrong :P

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

If the cable gets cut surely just join the cable? Also if Shimano can patent a cable which plugs into a battery then everyone is screwed and there is something wrong with Patents.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

not to get into another debate, but di2 is vastly superior in every aspect versus EPS. it is just simple and reflects the technology of today (USB ports, software) vs. the outdated cable system (EPS charger and huge wire plugs)

AndreLM

by AndreLM

bm0p700f wrote:If the cable gets cut surely just join the cable?

Yes. Simple. But I just find an ugly solution for a part that costs $500+.

bm0p700f wrote:Also if Shimano can patent a cable which plugs into a battery then everyone is screwed and there is something wrong with Patents.

Yes. The whole patent system is broken. The fact that Shimano had a patent for charging through Junction A, forced Campagnolo to develop a new charging port. Another hole in the frame = warranty issues for existing frames.

Nothing against Campy... I like the thumb shifter, I like the aesthetics of Record and Super Record. Athena was OK, but I rode a few miles with mechanic Record, and it was much better. I really wanted to give EPS a try. But quite honestly, Di2 seems much more refined. Not because of the charging port... but mostly because of e-Tube and the flexibility of the system.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com