Making the leap to Campy - from Red and Di2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bfno

by bfno

Hi,

So I am in the stages of drawing up next bike and in terms of group sets I am stuck between Campy EPS and Shimano Di2. I currently run Sram Red 22 on my race bike but I am wanting to make the move to an electronic group. I am running Di2 R785 on my cross bike at the moment in a 1x11 set up and also Di2 on my TT. It would make sense for me to go Di2 again but I've seen a lot of Campy 'fanboys' raving for Campy. The only thing I am worried about is the Campy levers and the button on the side of the hoods which reminds me of my old Shimano Sora! How convenient is it having the button here? Can you reach it in the drops? Is Campy EPS a worth while move considering I am acustom to Di2?

Thanks
Venge | Shiv TT | Langster | Dogma 60.1 | CruX | Aeroad CF SLX (WIP)

spookyload

by spookyload

With the investment in wheels you have already, why not just keep it Shimano and not have a different type of wheel to buy? Granted, 11 speed does work between the two, but if it were my dollars I would keep it all shimano/sram for interchangeability of wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MrRouleur

by MrRouleur

you can definitely reach the thumb shifters and it's by far more ergonomical.

bfno

by bfno

spookyload wrote:With the investment in wheels you have already, why not just keep it Shimano and not have a different type of wheel to buy? Granted, 11 speed does work between the two, but if it were my dollars I would keep it all shimano/sram for interchangeability of wheels.

I would be chucking a Sram XG1190 cassette on due to it being the lightest of the big 3. Compatibility wouldn't really be a concern. The difference for me to go SR EPS over DA Di2 is about $500. I like the greater customisation ability on the e-tube which seems to be a better system, but there is no denying the beauty of the EPS!
Venge | Shiv TT | Langster | Dogma 60.1 | CruX | Aeroad CF SLX (WIP)

hasbeen

by hasbeen

It aint called Ergopower for nothin
I love campy shifters, best in the biz, but in your situation maybe ShimaNO is the way to go?
$500 is another nice set of wheels.
However, a big high five from me if you choose Campy
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

arthurf

by arthurf

I prefer Campy to Shimano, the thumb lever is much easier to use when wearing gloves and you actually know when you've changed gear (nice click when you push the lever). I've had SR EPS for about 6 months now and its not missed a beat, absolutely love it.

ITTY

by ITTY

I am another huge fan of the thumb lever. I like to think of it as pushing the chain left or right with your hand. Push the chain to the right with your thumb, and push it to the left with your fingers. Same concept with the front shifter. I think it makes shifting so much more intuitive. I also like having completely different shifter locations, and no integration with the brake lever, so you never mis-shift and your braking will never mess with your shifting.
Moloko Plus 6.24 kg

"We haven't located us yet"

seanblurr

by seanblurr

The thumb lever rocks, no doubt about that. Also, no reason to get rid of any wheels Spookload. I run a red 22 chain and will have an 1190 cassette on my Super Record bike soon. I like the red22 cassette the best.

Hey Bfno, got a build thread for your Venge? I just ordered the frame.
Instagram @seanblurr

mattr

by mattr

On the flip side, i hate the thumb lever and will never use campag again.

LionelB

by LionelB

Also a big fan of thumb levers. The EPS one is easier to reach from the drop than the meca.

austke

by austke

Wow, I'm surprised how many like the thumb shifter.
I have both ST EPS and DI2 9070.
And hate the thumb shifter. Cannot change gear in the drops no matter how much I try. I have to lift hand up and over hoods to change gear. Love Campy and di2. But hate the thumb shifter.
DI2 is instinctive to me in the drops or on the hoods.

So DI2 gets my vote unless their Italian bikes. :)
2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0, 6.92kg
2013 Giant Defy Composite 2 M, 8.5kg - Wife's
Azzurro Torino 8.55g
Fuji 650 10.8kg
Miele Lupa Triple Tandem 38,89kg

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I have no issues with the thumb shifters, maybe because I have big thumbs....

LionelB

by LionelB

bar shape matters

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

go with di2. you will be super pleased. if you go campy, I am afraid you will be disappointed. many negatives with campy: extra port for battery charger wire, charging the battery, no satellite shifters, zero adjustment sucks compare to easy adjustment of di2, use of magnet to shut off eps.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Harmitc

by Harmitc

EPS thumb shifter ergonomics are better than mechanical. The positivity of the change is very good. In my opinion easier to use than Di2 due to the separation of the function.

Zero set up is easy. Takes a few minutes. Watch the Campagnolo vids to see the process.

Read the other thread on hear about battery shut off. It's because all diagnostics are onboard not remote like Shimano. Battery life even if you don't shutdown with the magnet is barely effected.

There's a lot of rumour about EPS because so few ride it. But it's a great system and you'll not be disappointed!